Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Bullying as a substitute for Argument  (Read 52577 times)

Isaac

Re: Bullying as a substitute for Argument
« Reply #260 on: April 11, 2015, 12:09:40 pm »

What I see is two (or more) otherwise bright guys arguing and parsing each other's lines ad nauseam.

Arguing without curiosity, to defend an opinion, often does seem to progress through squabbling to quarrelling.

I am still amused by the version I recall of a folk proverb you quoted a while ago - if you think you're arguing with a fool, at least one of you is :-)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 12:15:24 pm by Isaac »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #261 on: April 11, 2015, 12:45:23 pm »

...I am still amused by the version I recall of a folk proverb you quoted a while ago - if you think you're arguing with a fool, at least one of you is :-)

Ah, you are too kind... I was much more direct: "When you are arguing with a fool, there are two." :)

BradSmith

« Reply #262 on: April 11, 2015, 01:33:08 pm »

What is really foolish is the amount of effort, time and energy that has been put into this thread.  Come on guys! Give it a rest.  Don't you have anything better to do?

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #263 on: April 11, 2015, 01:40:47 pm »

What is really foolish is the amount of effort, time and energy that has been put into this thread.  Come on guys! Give it a rest.  Don't you have anything better to do?

+1

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #264 on: April 11, 2015, 02:40:32 pm »

+666.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #265 on: April 11, 2015, 02:50:04 pm »

+666.

The only ingredient missing in this debate so far was the devil himself ;)

stamper

« Reply #266 on: April 12, 2015, 05:28:27 am »

Don't you? ;-)

It is rather ironic that Isaac thinks that there are people posting on here who like to attack people. Looking in the mirror will mean he knows one of them. Back to the subject. I have read all of the "excuses" for someone not wanting to post images. There can ultimately be only one excuse? Fear of ridicule. I can see no point of taking images if the photographer doesn't want to show some of them to the world. Posting on line is - though the quality is reduced - is the best way to show off someone's skills. Confidence in one's ability should mean that the fear of ridicule can be overcome.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #267 on: April 12, 2015, 12:05:10 pm »

... Did Vivian Maier and Garry Winogrand even have all their exposed film developed.

That's it! THAT'S IT!!!

Isaac must be the new Garry Winogrand! Or Vivian Maier, if he is in touch with his feminine side. Just wait a few more years. Or decades. ;D

John Koerner

• "Fortune favors the bold." Virgil
    • John Koerner Photography
« Reply #268 on: April 12, 2015, 12:10:01 pm »

+666.

The only ingredient missing in this debate so far was the devil himself ;)

So true ... oh, wait .

John Koerner

• "Fortune favors the bold." Virgil
    • John Koerner Photography
« Reply #269 on: April 12, 2015, 12:10:20 pm »

Or, perhaps this emoticon is more appropriate

spidermike

« Reply #270 on: April 12, 2015, 06:34:07 pm »

I can see no point of taking images if the photographer doesn't want to show some of them to the world.

So all those poeple who took pictures pre-digital and put the pictures into a photo album they kept in a cupboard were taking pictures because....??

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #271 on: April 12, 2015, 07:58:25 pm »

I can see no point of taking images if the photographer doesn't want to show some of them to the world.

There are many different worlds co-existing, the online world is only one of them and LL is a tiny sub-set, Facebook in another sub-set with some level of privacy control,...

Although I do share many images online, there are probably as many I do only share with a private audience (family, friends, people I shot for,...), either online or through prints.

The reason being that those images are of private nature and that either I or the subject depicted doesn't want that to be shared in the open.

Cheers,
Bernard

stamper

« Reply #272 on: April 13, 2015, 03:38:34 am »

So all those poeple who took pictures pre-digital and put the pictures into a photo album they kept in a cupboard were taking pictures because....??

...the internet wasn't available. The whole thrust of this debate concerns the internet and not photo albums etc etc . You can't bully someone with a photo album....or can you?

stamper

« Reply #273 on: April 13, 2015, 03:43:26 am »

… BradSmith put some more energy into this thread by complaining about "the amount of effort, time and energy that has been put into this thread."

There you go again.

The world is not limited by what you can or cannot see. Did Vivian Maier and Garry Winogrand even have all their exposed film developed.

Isaac the ability to read about Vivian Maier and Garry Winogrand is one thing but having the ability to emulate them is another. Do you have the ability to do so? Alas I don't think so because the proof isn't apparent?

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #274 on: April 13, 2015, 03:46:06 am »

As this thread progresses to another two pages, I have entered another photo contest.
I'll keep y'all posted on whether they demand to see the MTF charts of the lenses used.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

spidermike

« Reply #275 on: April 13, 2015, 04:08:42 am »

...the internet wasn't available. The whole thrust of this debate concerns the internet and not photo albums etc etc . You can't bully someone with a photo album....or can you?

That is irrelevant to my comment. I accept that you may see no point in taking photos if you do not want to show at least some to the world but many people take pictures for purely personal enjoyment - and that doesn't preclude those same people participating in photography fora. I know many people who enjoy watching and discussing sports but don't participate because they consider themslves to be rubbish at it.

stamper

« Reply #276 on: April 13, 2015, 04:22:34 am »

Spidermike. This is copied and pasted from the initial post in the thread.

Not sure where this belongs, but since I've seen dozens of posts in this particular board, I put it here.

A statement to the effect of "Show me your photos" is not an argument and in it's basest form is nothing short of bullying.  It is a tactic to intimidate in lieu of actual argument.  Photographic samples that prove, reinforce or refute an argument are always helpful, but that is not usually how these statements are made.  It is usually a blanket ultimatum intended to shut down debate from a particular poster.

unquote

That is what my post is all about. I am posting with this in mind and hence the reason for not taking photo albums etc into consideration. This thread - like 99% of threads on here - has went in different directions.

spidermike

« Reply #277 on: April 13, 2015, 04:39:34 am »

That is what my post is all about. I am posting with this in mind and hence the reason for not taking photo albums etc into consideration. This thread - like 99% of threads on here - has went in different directions.

And I also was taking that OP as a context: I was taking your comment to imply the logic 'people take photos to show [at least come of] them to the world on the internet so it is reasonable to ask to see their photos during a discussion'. My post was to counter that first step because for some people showing to the wider public never has been a motivation for photography and using them to support a POV even less so.

FWIW I think the word 'bullying' has come to encapsulate all sorts of antisocial or what some people see to be unacceptable behaviour. And I certainly do not consider the scenario described in the OP as bullying in the context of a single discussion - I would instead describe it more as a gambit by someone who does not like someone else's opinion and want to find a reason to ignore it.

stamper

« Reply #278 on: April 13, 2015, 04:56:47 am »

And I also was taking that OP as a context: I was taking your comment to imply the logic 'people take photos to show [at least come of] them to the world on the internet so it is reasonable to ask to see their photos during a discussion'. My post was to counter that first step because for some people showing to the wider public never has been a motivation for photography and using them to support a POV even less so.

FWIW I think the word 'bullying' has come to encapsulate all sorts of antisocial or what some people see to be unacceptable behaviour. And I certainly do not consider the scenario described in the OP as bullying in the context of a single discussion - I would instead describe it more as a gambit by someone who does not like someone else's opinion and want to find a reason to ignore it.

Then your reference to photo albums was irrelevant?

spidermike

« Reply #279 on: April 13, 2015, 05:22:55 am »

Then your reference to photo albums was irrelevant?

Nope.
It was to point out that back in the days when the internet did not exist people still took photos and they took them without wanting (or even being able) to share them with the world. They took those photos and kept them in their albums fore personal viewing, exactly the same way some people take photos and store them on their computer drive for personal viewing.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15   Go Up