Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bullying as a substitute for Argument  (Read 52533 times)

stamper

Re: Bullying as a substitute for Argument
« Reply #280 on: April 13, 2015, 05:42:07 am »

There are many different worlds co-existing, the online world is only one of them and LL is a tiny sub-set, Facebook in another sub-set with some level of privacy control,...

Although I do share many images online, there are probably as many I do only share with a private audience (family, friends, people I shot for,...), either online or through prints.

The reason being that those images are of private nature and that either I or the subject depicted doesn't want that to be shared in the open.

Cheers,
Bernard

Bernard you have taken my post out of context. MY post was about not posting images to LULA, or the internet, because of bullying which is the thrust of of this thread?

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #281 on: April 13, 2015, 06:59:15 am »

Bernard you have taken my post out of context. MY post was about not posting images to LULA, or the internet, because of bullying which is the thrust of of this thread?

Sorry if I did.

I had the feeling that the discussion had moved to the reason why some users are not willing to share images.

Cheers,
Bernard

stamper

« Reply #282 on: April 13, 2015, 07:21:00 am »

Sorry if I did.

I had the feeling that the discussion had moved to the reason why some users are not willing to share images.

Cheers,
Bernard

No problem. :)

AreBee

« Reply #283 on: April 13, 2015, 08:06:37 am »

stamper,

Have you ever posted a statement to the effect of "Show me your photos"?

stamper

« Reply #284 on: April 13, 2015, 08:13:09 am »

stamper,

Have you ever posted a statement to the effect of "Show me your photos"?

Yes :) and just in case you are wondering then it wasn't to bully anyone. I like to see a member's "credentials" when they offer advice on an image.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 08:15:18 am by stamper »

AreBee

« Reply #285 on: April 13, 2015, 08:36:41 am »

stamper,

Have you ever posted a statement to the effect of "Show me your photos" several times to the same individual?

stamper

« Reply #286 on: April 13, 2015, 09:02:26 am »

stamper,

Have you ever posted a statement to the effect of "Show me your photos" several times to the same individual?

Are you now a moderator?

spidermike

« Reply #287 on: April 13, 2015, 09:02:54 am »

I like to see a member's "credentials" when they offer advice on an image.

If someone says they would prefer the background to have more/less blur (artisitic) or that in their opinion the highlights on the forehead are blown (whether you intended to do so or not) I fail to see what their 'credentials'' has to do with it. It may just mean they have a different artistic view to you.

I remember reading a book by one of Britain's leading wine writiers and she made a point of saying that wine tasters are trained to recognise and (more importantly) explain and describe a wine; but whether a wine was 'better' is purely a matter of personal taste and in that respect anyone's opinion is as valid as theirs.
Critiquing an image is exactly the same.  

If however they were trying to tell you how create a high-key image then their advice may justifiably be qualified by asking them to show an example

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #288 on: April 13, 2015, 10:07:35 am »

Nope.
It was to point out that back in the days when the internet did not exist people still took photos and they took them without wanting (or even being able) to share them with the world. They took those photos and kept them in their albums fore personal viewing, exactly the same way some people take photos and store them on their computer drive for personal viewing.

However...if those album-clenching people would come to a camera club and start pontificating about photography, guess what would've happened: "Show me your album, buddy!" If they would come to a family gathering and start criticizing everyone else's vacation albums, uncle Bob would tell them to show theirs first or shut up.

stamper

« Reply #289 on: April 13, 2015, 10:23:21 am »

In my camera club days there were one or two individuals who rarely entered images into competitions but like to give their opinions on other's entries. They weren't popular for obvious reasons.

AreBee

« Reply #290 on: April 13, 2015, 11:03:35 am »

stamper,

Are you now a moderator

No, nor was I previously.

Having established from your original request that you would not see their "credentials", why did you continue to post statements to the effect of "Show me your photos" to the same individual?

stamper

« Reply #291 on: April 13, 2015, 11:08:23 am »

Rob, I have commented before on your irksome posting style. Unfortunately it is still on display. Whatever I have asked of another member is between him and me. BTW who are you referring to?

AreBee

« Reply #292 on: April 13, 2015, 11:32:19 am »

stamper,

Rob, I have commented before on your irksome posting style. Unfortunately it is still on display.

(sigh). Yeah, I suppose that's to be expected.

BTW who are you referring to?

I haven't referred to anyone. I took from your poor attempt at misdirection - "Are you now a moderator" - affirmation that you had posted a statement to the effect of "Show me your photos" several times to the same individual.

Was I incorrect?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #293 on: April 13, 2015, 12:02:08 pm »

Rob, after seeing your photographs, I tend to agree that the quality of photographs does not necessarily indicate the quality of posts. Your photographs are excellent, yet your posts are still annoying like hell ;)

AreBee

« Reply #294 on: April 13, 2015, 12:36:34 pm »

Slobodan,

...your posts are...annoying like hell

I'm sorry you consider that to be the case.

Thanks for your compliment.

Isaac

« Reply #295 on: April 13, 2015, 01:12:42 pm »

Isaac the ability to read about Vivian Maier and Garry Winogrand is one thing but having the ability to emulate them is another. Do you have the ability to do so?

I have not claimed that I do.

Apparently Vivian Maier and Garry Winogrand made tens of thousands of unseen photographs. Apparently you do not wish to emulate them. I will not insist that you do.

I can see no point…

If you can see no point in doing something then do not do it.

The limitations you've put on yourself do not limit other people.

Whatever I have asked of another member is between him and me.

I doubt that's even true of a PM; it's certainly not true of comments made to a public forum.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 01:44:40 pm by Isaac »

stamper

« Reply #296 on: April 14, 2015, 03:09:12 am »

stamper,

(sigh). Yeah, I suppose that's to be expected.

I haven't referred to anyone. I took from your poor attempt at misdirection - "Are you now a moderator" - affirmation that you had posted a statement to the effect of "Show me your photos" several times to the same individual.

Was I incorrect?

Rob you are at liberty to troll through my posts in my profile to see how many members that I have asked to post images. There are a lot of posts so maybe your carer can give you a hand? ;)

Colorado David

« Reply #297 on: April 15, 2015, 12:38:06 am »

Rob, after seeing your photographs, I tend to agree that the quality of photographs does not necessarily indicate the quality of posts. Your photographs are excellent, yet your posts are still annoying like hell ;)

I stopped reading this topic a long time ago, so I'm not taking a side on this.  But, this was the funniest post I've read on Lula for a long time.  I laughed out loud.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]   Go Up