Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Just received 5ds and testing VS my CF-39MS in same lens conditions  (Read 24159 times)

chiek

• chiek imaging

Just received. I heard It is only 4 bodies in worldwide.
Beta test version, so Don't load camera raw or c1pro. Only DPP in canon.

1st feeling is COOL , awesome image.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 12:02:52 am by chiek »
chiek imaging, in Seoul, SOUTH-KOREA.
Sinar P2, Hasselblad CFv-50c medium format and a7R systems
major job is products shot, especially for electronic products.
but interested in Landscapes and Portraits, Still-life.
my hobby is Designing camera…
www.chiek.co.kr

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: Just received 5ds and testing VS my CF-39MS in same lens conditions
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 06:37:24 am »

Hi Chiek,

Congratulations with the opportunity. This is indeed COOL!

In case you want to share some image crops, an unsharpened DPP converted 16-bit TIFF crop in Adobe RGB would allow to do some really good sharpening to show what the camera and well focused lens are capable of. We have sofar only seen some official out-of-camera JPEGs with rather poor automatic sharpening, which doesn't allow to draw too many conclusions yet.

Looking forward to your findings.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 10:54:14 am by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

chiek

• chiek imaging
www.chiek.co.kr

Theodoros

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 11:09:44 am »

None can doubt that using the same lens on two different size sensors would provide the most significant test for them, but none would also doubt that the larger sensor is in significant disadvantage when compared to the smaller size sensor if the lens used is one designed to perform with DSLR FF sensors (35mm film equivalent). IMO, the test would be much more valid if a top quality MF lens is used to test both sensors (to avoid the possible poor performance of the lens designed for 35mm image area on MF's extra image area). Why not try a Contax 120mm f4 APO makro on both sensors via the JAS adapter (to be able to control aperture on both) and use C645 camera instead of the Hasselblad H? Surely this would be much more valid! ...This is obvious! ...Any other MF lens of good quality with stop down adapter would also do... Surely the camera to be used for testing should be one with focal plane shutter for the most valid test process.

chrismuc

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 11:19:38 am »

Chiek, the Canon 100 L is good but please use f5.6 or max. f8 because any more closed aperture results in soft picture on pixel level with a 4 um sensor due to diffraction.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website

Theodoros

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 01:57:00 pm »

Do it.

Who? ...do you mean me to perform the "test"? ...I'm not interested to test any 50mp Canon (or other hi-res FF) sensor... I just commented on the process and the (obvious) false results it may end up with. Still surprised why you commented on two words though (that can have a million of other meanings) than projecting my whole argument... well... maybe not that surprised with you...  :-*

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 01:59:49 pm »

Who? ...do you mean me to perform the "test"? ...I'm not interested ...

Then shut up.

michael

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 03:25:14 pm »

Please keep civil. No need for rudeness.

Michael

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2015, 04:05:33 pm »

Please keep civil. No need for rudeness.

My bad.

My inappropriate tone aside, I got to say I am irked by the usual tyre-kickers' smart-ass comments whenever someone invests considerable time and effort to do a test and share it with us. There is always someone to ridicule the test methodology, premise, equipment used, etc. It is what it is. The guy (OP) is using what he has at hand, but there is always someone who would use something else. Well, buddy, go ahead and use it yourself and show us. Show some respect for the OP efforts and willingness to share. We are all here educated enough to understand the limitations of whatever equipment and methodology is used and interpret the results accordingly. Polite suggestions, like Bart's and chrismuc's are welcome, of course, but asking the OP to use completely different equipment just to humor a tyre-kicker, who has no interest in doing anything similar himself, is a bit too much.

Theodoros

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2015, 05:11:23 pm »

My bad.

My inappropriate tone aside, I got to say I am irked by the usual tyre-kickers' smart-ass comments whenever someone invests considerable time and effort to do a test and share it with us. There is always someone to ridicule the test methodology, premise, equipment used, etc. It is what it is. The guy (OP) is using what he has at hand, but there is always someone who would use something else. Well, buddy, go ahead and use it yourself and show us. Show some respect for the OP efforts and willingness to share. We are all here educated enough to understand the limitations of whatever equipment and methodology is used and interpret the results accordingly. Polite suggestions, like Bart's and chrismuc's are welcome, of course, but asking the OP to use completely different equipment just to humor a tyre-kicker, who has no interest in doing anything similar himself, is a bit too much.

None redicules anything here... all suggestions made are backed with reasoning ...but yours!  :-* If you notice luck of reasoning or inacurate support please comment on that.... Choosing a couple of words that have nothing to do with the statement made, only shows empathy from your side... I suggest that you stop posting bold.  8)

Theodoros

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2015, 05:48:55 pm »

One doesn't test a FF sensor against an APS-c one using an APS-c lens.... not even if the lens is of wide enough image area to cover a FF sensor (i've never seen this happening - only the opposite).... Why would one use an FF lens to "test" an MF sensor against a FF sensor then? Isn't it the same in analogy?  :o  It seems that some don't respect even that common sense and prefer to post bold as they do all the time... IMO these people are damaging the forum's reputation significantly and are responsible for the forum's lower appreciation with time.  ??? Especially if they avoid the question set and are attacking the poster personally instead of the subject itself...  :P Unfortunately for them, even logic has rules.... to an extend that is easy for one logical to recognize an attack that is paranoia oriented! ;D

ASSEMBLY

• http://www.assemblystudio.net
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2015, 08:10:06 pm »

Completely agree with you Theodoros.  Your comments were constructive (and accurate) and didnt resort to name calling. 

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2015, 08:42:15 pm »

Completely agree with you Theodoros.  Your comments were constructive (and accurate) and didnt resort to name calling.  

How is it constructive to ask the OP to redo the test with a camera he doesn't have and a lens he doesn't have?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 09:26:20 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2015, 08:47:50 pm »

.... Why would one use an FF lens to "test" an MF sensor against a FF sensor then?..

Because we are testing the sensor at the pixel level?

bjanes

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2015, 08:53:51 pm »

That's right. If only the central area of the MF frame is being evaluated, there is no need for the lens to cover the entire MF frame. Generally, MF lenses resolve fewer line pairs/mm since they have to cover a larger frame area.

Bill

ASSEMBLY

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2015, 09:16:23 pm »

Yes, that is potentially correct.  But are we sure the center resolving power of the Canon lens (being used) is equal to an MF lens?  If someone can say with certainty, please do pipe in.  I'm no expert. Pixel size, pitch, etc, do play a part.

That said, I was mostly reacting to you being a d##k.  I (and many others I'm sure) are more likely to follow your logic if you do so in a calm and less reactive manner....ie, you'll catch more flies with honey...blah blah blah.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2015, 09:43:39 pm »

Yes, that is potentially correct.  But are we sure the center resolving power of the Canon lens (being used) is equal to an MF lens?...

It doesn't have to equal MF lens at all. The point of the exercise is to use the same lens, projecting absolutely the same image (inside a center crop of course), thus leaving the only variable to be the sensor. Introduce another lens, and you are not testing just the sensor anymore, but a combination of lens + sensor. Not that such a comparison would not be valuable in its own right, but than we are talking about a different test.

...That said, I was mostly reacting to you being a d##k.  I (and many others I'm sure) are more likely to follow your logic if you do so in a calm and less reactive manner....ie, you'll catch more flies with honey...blah blah blah.

That is ok (being called a d##k, that is). I used a foul language and should expect it in return. The thing is I know Theodoros from previous threads and PM exchanges (not necessarily adversarial). I know his logic, debate style, etc., and my comment was more of an expression of a friendly disagreement. Having said that, I can certainly understand how it can be perceived completely differently.

ASSEMBLY

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2015, 09:48:59 pm »

You're okay by me Siobodan.  I'm sorry I (myself) was reacting to your initial post.  Bar fights have started over far less. :)

chiek

• chiek imaging
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2015, 10:03:23 pm »

I will test my H+HC50-110+CF-39MS and 5ds+24-70II in sweet spot aperture.

I think 5ds file is like some over unsharpmask ? It may be Anti-aliasing filter. Thats why I expect 5dsR.
39MS file is a slightly better than 100%~200% view. but nobody knows it. Only We wants it.

and I just want to know same lens and different sensor (39Mpx CCD and 50Mpx CMOS)

Definitely, It was disadvantage for Medium format but I want to know newer canon sensor.

That's all.
www.chiek.co.kr
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up