Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon to Sony switch  (Read 11721 times)

Chiotas

• Francesco Gola Photography
Canon to Sony switch
« on: February 04, 2015, 05:09:48 am »

Hello guys!
As I'm really upset with the no technology improvement in the Canon line for landscape photographers (and the straw that breaks the camel will probably be the new 5Ds designed for landscapes but with a 7 years ago dynamic range capability) I'm seriously considering to switch to Sony.
Why to Sony and not to Nikon (D810?)
The answer is that I mostly use two Zeiss prime lenses (18mm and 21mm) with ZE mount (Canon), and I could not invest money on switching those lenses from Canon to Nikon mount.
So I focused on Sony A7II that seems to be a great camera for landscapes.
Here I have a few questions, and I really hope that someone can help me:

- Is the Sony A7II really a good choice for landscape photography?
- Does anyone have direct experience on the third part adapter for Canon-toSony mount? (es: Metabones)
- From a purely technical and theoretical point of view, can the mount adapter affect on the lens quality (even the 0,00001%?)

This was my start point:
http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Sony-A7-II-versus-Nikon-D810-versus-Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-III___996_963_795

Thank you so much!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 05:14:57 am by Chiotas »

Torbjörn Tapani

Re: Canon to Sony switch
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 06:00:59 am »

I'll answer the last question. Yes, any adapter will affect the lens quality slightly: http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/09/there-is-no-free-lunch-episode-763-lens-adapters

Right now I would wait and see what high resolution models might come out of Canon and Sony shortly.

Chiotas

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 06:10:48 am »

I'll answer the last question. Yes, any adapter will affect the lens quality slightly: http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/09/there-is-no-free-lunch-episode-763-lens-adapters

Right now I would wait and see what high resolution models might come out of Canon and Sony shortly.

Thank you so much Torbjörn,
unfortunately this is the answer I was afraid of.
At this point my only chance is the new high res camera from Canon, because I suppose that any new Sony camera will require an adapter :(

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 07:10:03 am »

Before I made such a switch I sure would wait till the 6th of Feb. find out just how the new sensor will perform. I personally can't believe that Canon would bring out a 50mp sensor with 7 year old dynamic range.

This should be a great time for a Canon shooter.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 08:26:35 am »

In a similar situation, I was thinking end of last year to switch to a Sony A7r, but not very convinced of the performance of the Metabones adapter with the TS-E 24mm Mark II (it looks like it is a 50% chance that you get a good or bad metabones adapter for what you can read in different forums... and the shops in Barcelona usually they don't stock the adapter to try several there before buying one...).

Right now, I will just wait, see what Canon announces next Friday, it is clear that the Canon 5Ds/5Ds R are thought as studio and landscape cameras, for landscape, DR is like an strong requirement... anyway, I will wait until I see the first reports from different users of the camera or DxO before I put my money on it (also, there is the possibility they use Sony technology on that sensor... although this is a rumor that I don't believe too much...). If the rumors are true, the camera will hit the market around March or April, I suppose we will get the reports/reviews around that time...

Also, if you are thinking to switch to Sony, there is also the rumor Sony will launch the A7r II or A9 (or whatever name they choose), possible that camera will also be a 50 MPx camera... or close enough, and being an exmor sensor, DR will be great...

@Torbjörn thanks for that link... I was not aware of that report...

Chiotas

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 09:07:03 am »

Paul,
David,

thank you so much for your reply.
Yes, totally agree with you guys, I believe that the first thing to do is to sit and wait for a DxO review of the new Canon lens (even if my expectation is really low as I don't believe in the Canon-Sony sensor rumor).
Anyway It is better if I start to follow sony rumors too as I wasn't aware of the A7R II :P

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 09:37:36 am »

Either way it happens, (Sony or Canon sensor) I feel you will be pleasantly surprised.  Canon has had this camera in plenty of folks hands (see other posts on this site where members are 100% sure of things).  So I have to sense they got it right. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 09:52:15 am »

Paul, I hope you are right, it will be probably my option to buy if they got it right this time (then there is the problem of the price, I fear to high for me... but that it is another story)

dwswager

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 09:54:39 am »

Hello guys!
As I'm really upset with the no technology improvement in the Canon line for landscape photographers (and the straw that breaks the camel will probably be the new 5Ds designed for landscapes but with a 7 years ago dynamic range capability) I'm seriously considering to switch to Sony.
Why to Sony and not to Nikon (D810?)
The answer is that I mostly use two Zeiss prime lenses (18mm and 21mm) with ZE mount (Canon), and I could not invest money on switching those lenses from Canon to Nikon mount.
So I focused on Sony A7II that seems to be a great camera for landscapes.
Here I have a few questions, and I really hope that someone can help me:

- Is the Sony A7II really a good choice for landscape photography?
- Does anyone have direct experience on the third part adapter for Canon-toSony mount? (es: Metabones)
- From a purely technical and theoretical point of view, can the mount adapter affect on the lens quality (even the 0,00001%?)

This was my start point:
http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Sony-A7-II-versus-Nikon-D810-versus-Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-III___996_963_795

Thank you so much!

If they release the 5Ds and it's based on 7DmkII sensor technology, then you know it's probably time to look elsewhere.

Not sure how long you have been shooting Canon, but to me, switching brands is a big deal.  I switched from Canon to Nikon back in the film era.  Not something I would do lightly.  I hate the small differences between my D810 and D7100.  I have no idea how people on this board shoot multiple brands on a routine basis.  As the only Nikon shooter, and most knowledgeable in my local group, when my Canon friends ask me how to set up their cameras for certain shooting situations and such, I'm like a monkey with an erector set!

NancyP

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 10:18:03 am »

G.A.S.ping for pixels and dynamic range we are? A disturbance in the Force we feel, 50 million sensels just two Earth rotations from now.

I do hope that the DR is improved and that the images look good. Lenses that stand up to 50 MP? Well, I have three that may qualify, the Zeiss 21, Sigma Art 35, Canon 180 macro (I suspect most macro lenses would qualify). The legacy lenses (AIS Nikkors 50 1.2 and 105 2.5) look pretty good stopped down to f/4 on a 20 MP sensor (6D), I have no clue if they would still look good on a more demanding sensor (probably not). The trouble about getting a better sensor is that it would increase my yen for the Zeiss Apo Sonnar 135 f/2 and other supersharp and super-heavy lenses that would have to be dragged up long trails. The field primes kit is already pretty heavy.

No question about it, the cameras are better than I am. Too many temptations to ogle equipment rather than upgrade the brain. Must.....resist.....G.A.S. ...... and do the cheap upgrade of indulging in a few good photo books, not necessarily in nature photography genre.

Chiotas

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 10:36:18 am »

@Paul,
I really hope you're right too! I'll check the other threads on the upcoming 5D

@dwswager,
my fear is the one you pinted out: same technology of 7DmkII

Only time can give us an answer, and I really hope that answer is not having to sell Zeiss ZE mount lenses :(

Telecaster

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 04:33:12 pm »

I have no idea how people on this board shoot multiple brands on a routine basis.

This may have something to do with living & working in a tech-centric environment. When working I always had to handle multiple projects, multiple programming languages and multiple OSes. You learn to compartmentalize, which makes it a lot easier to switch amongst them. (Note: this is different than "multitasking," which in my experience no-one is much good at.) When I grab a camera I have to hold & look at it for a moment, then my memory & knowledge of it kicks in and I'm all set. Same with guitars, which can vary quite a bit in their physical parameters and (with electrics) control knob/switch layout & options.  :)

-Dave-

dwswager

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2015, 05:20:19 pm »

This may have something to do with living & working in a tech-centric environment. When working I always had to handle multiple projects, multiple programming languages and multiple OSes. You learn to compartmentalize, which makes it a lot easier to switch amongst them. (Note: this is different than "multitasking," which in my experience no-one is much good at.) When I grab a camera I have to hold & look at it for a moment, then my memory & knowledge of it kicks in and I'm all set. Same with guitars, which can vary quite a bit in their physical parameters and (with electrics) control knob/switch layout & options.  :)

-Dave-

I work in all the best tech in the military from Electromagnetic Gun to Missile Systems to Directed Energy.  That I can handle.  My problem is that I don't get to go out image making often enough and when I get out there, in the field, in the dark, I want to KNOW my equipment so I don't have some idiot moment.  One of my favorite images ended up JPEG instead of RAW because I forgot I was using my camera for shooting some idiot stuff.  My favorite advanced feature would being able to save the complete state of the camera to a menu item.  Canon has something in the C1-3 settings. Nikon has U1/U2 on the Enthusiast bodies, but neither is what it should be. 

Telecaster

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2015, 08:09:39 pm »

My favorite advanced feature would being able to save the complete state of the camera to a menu item.

Along with saving it to CF/SD card so it can be loaded on any other same-model camera. Or same-brand camera, which might encourage the makers to better standardize their menus & options across their lineups. (Non-applicable options & settings would be unavailable on a per-model basis.) Maybe even have the cameras talk directly with each other, sharing config states that could then be loaded via menu selection.

-Dave-

rainer_v

• http://www.tangential.de
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2015, 03:50:47 am »

I think to get good quality on the sony a7r and lens adapters first one has to change the mount of the camera. its done with a plastic ring inside and a metal ring on the outside, not in one piece. There is a metal mount from fotodiox, which i built in the camera, exchanging  the original mount.You have just to unscrew the three little screws, its an easy operation of 5minutes.
Why sony made such a crap for this sensitive part of the cam, no idea. Maybe ingeneering wisdom,- or a planned weekness to let the camera break down after some 50.000 shots, cause the plastic ring looked very used after i exchanged it. I dont believe that it would have had a much longer live ....

With the new mount the adapters i use are sitting without any movement on the sony body.
I use metabones and novoflex adapters for leica m ( wate ) , canon tse and a lot of zeiss lenses. I dont see any difference in corner sharpness compared to my older d800e or canon 5d2. For me the advantage to mount all my lenses on the sony is fantastic and i am very happy with this camera concept.
Recently the newer sonys have a better mount  built in, so i will wait for the a7r2 or the a9.
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp

hjulenissen

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2015, 05:04:44 am »

...My favorite advanced feature would being able to save the complete state of the camera to a menu item.  Canon has something in the C1-3 settings. Nikon has U1/U2 on the Enthusiast bodies, but neither is what it should be. 
Even my car is able to do this. One would think that cameras built for professionals would do this (better).

Ah, well. Soon enough the Canons/Nikons/Sonys will proudly boast "Cloud", and all of your settings will be instantly uploaded to the Cloud, shared on social media, and your camera will be unable to do anything at all unless there is an internet connection :-)

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/11/why-the-hell-does-this-mouse-need-to-connect-to-the-internet/

-h

derricky

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2015, 05:20:22 am »

Im not a sony user but I'm trying to get one. I'm looking for the Sony a7ii

derricky

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2015, 05:21:37 am »

shadowblade

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2015, 05:48:34 am »

Just wondering, why the A7ii instead of the A7r?

You said you'd be shooting landscapes. The A7r gives you better resolution and DR, while the A7ii's AF advantage doesn't apply when you're fine-tuning focus when zoomed in anyway.

Chiotas

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2015, 04:09:05 am »

Well, as the 5DS (R) was unveiled, I believe that many of us will consider to switch to Nikon or Sony.
Actually I really hope that the Sony a7rII will be the promised land for landscape photographers, even if I'm not so convinced about the quality of lens adapters like Metabones.
On the one hand I'm happy as I found that the Metabones is just a spacer, but on the other hand I read many poor reviews, especially related to:

- light leakages with long exposures
- coupling quality

Does anybody have any experience? I was considering this model: http://www.metabones.com/products/details/MB-EF-E-BM4
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up