Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon EOS 5Ds and 5DsR - 50.3MP with and without AA filters  (Read 78361 times)

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
Re: Canon EOS 5Ds and 5DsR - 50.3MP with and without AA filters
« Reply #200 on: February 06, 2015, 10:50:41 pm »

Don't worry about those nasty looking blotches and no need to blame them on Canon sensor! In reality, they are caused by sweating on a hot day.
When a hippo perspires, its sweat turns red because of unusual reddish pigments that are secreted with it. Molecules in this pigment absorb ultraviolet light, and the rather acidic and antibiotic secretion functions as a natural sunscreen.

If you took this camera on an Antarctica trip, I'm sure you wouldn't get any red spots on the penguins.

Thanks, Les!  Found the paper that describes it -

http://media.iupac.org/publications/pac/2007/pdf/7904x0507.pdf

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #201 on: February 06, 2015, 11:24:31 pm »

Thank you, Rajan, for posting that link.
Highly interesting! Actually, more interesting than some other posts in this thread.

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #202 on: February 06, 2015, 11:39:13 pm »

does that include green dots as well? If you look a little further left of where some red dots are, there are a couple at least of green.  Im not worried about it, but since we are talking about it...
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #203 on: February 07, 2015, 12:38:49 am »

Hans,

Although this is probably not the place, I would like to compliment you about the superb the use of color in the landscape images on your site.

There is no reason one should be able to match cameras in practice, if the CFA filters are not identical. Let me say this differently - mathematically speaking one should expect different sensors to behave differently :)

BTW, in MF, my impression is that the H5D60 is very different, maybe better, than the H5D50 for landscape.

Edmund

Thanks and I agree entirely on your view on filters. The color patches on the x-rite looks the same for both cameras, at least visually :) I was shooting with a Phase One IQ160 for a year and colors from that was also entirely different. My old 5D was also different. So as you say, one should not be surprised. Sometimes, I like the Nikon better than the Canon and it was the same with the IQ160.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #204 on: February 07, 2015, 01:29:48 am »

does that include green dots as well? If you look a little further left of where some red dots are, there are a couple at least of green.  Im not worried about it, but since we are talking about it...

Phil, I explained about the red spots, you'll look after the green ones. Could be some African algae or very fine paint flakes that came off from a camouflaged photo vest.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 07:39:45 am by LesPalenik »

John Koerner

• "Fortune favors the bold." Virgil
    • John Koerner Photography
« Reply #205 on: February 07, 2015, 06:30:20 am »

While the D7100 front and bottom are plastic, the top and rear are magnesium alloy.  And it is dust and water sealed to D800 levels.  It is actually a very durable camera.  And other than the 4 fps slower and smaller buffer, it is as full featured as the 7DmkII.  I wish it had CF support, but dual SD cards work.   In fact, for most photographers considering these 2 cameras, the D7100 is by far a better value.  In fact, it is probably one of the best values in the DSLR market right now.

My God, you're predictable  ::)

How does a discussion about the innovations of the 7D II vs. the 5D Mk III s get turned into a sales pitch for the plasticky Nikon D7100?

Why don't you just say, "I want everyone on earth to buy Nikon," in every post you make? It would save you time.

I made my observations about the 7D Mk II vs the 5D Mk IIIs and am not interested in discussing Nikon. Most Nikonians agree the D7100 is a letdown and what they really wanted was a D400, not a toy.

The 7D Mk II is a revolutionary camera for its class, with 1Dx like features in a sub-$2000 camera. If it had a Sony sensor and 4K video it would be perfection.

The 5Ds is no such animal. It offers nothing really exemplary, except 50mpx, but not on as good a sensor as can be made ... and then, instead of being a good value, it's more expensive.

May have to consider a Sony with an adapter. They're the best bet for coming out with a high-end sensor + 4K video + the compatability with Canon's overall superior lens lineup in the shortest amount of time.

Jack
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 06:32:16 am by John Koerner »

dwswager

« Reply #206 on: February 07, 2015, 03:57:10 pm »

My God, you're predictable  ::)

How does a discussion about the innovations of the 7D II vs. the 5D Mk III s get turned into a sales pitch for the plasticky Nikon D7100?

It might just be because for 95% of all different types of photo making opportunities, the D7100 will result in an equivalent or better image and it cost 1/2 as much.  Only when you need the processing speed, throughput and frame rate does it make sense to exchange image quality for speed of operation and higher price.

The fact that the D7100 is actually the best APS-C Nikon available and about the best they ever made, is a real knock on Nikon.

barryfitzgerald

« Reply #207 on: February 07, 2015, 06:39:49 pm »

It might just be because for 95% of all different types of photo making opportunities, the D7100 will result in an equivalent or better image and it cost 1/2 as much.  Only when you need the processing speed, throughput and frame rate does it make sense to exchange image quality for speed of operation and higher price.

The fact that the D7100 is actually the best APS-C Nikon available and about the best they ever made, is a real knock on Nikon.

The problem with the D7100 is the buffer it's just too small for Raw shooters and esp action shooters. Really it needs to be about twice the size to be "acceptable" once you get into high level sports/action shooting some users want 20+ shots in raw if not a bit more, the D7100 falls far far short of that. I've an A77 and that has 16 shots raw but not enough for some users (the II model has a huge buffer) Nikon did mess up a bit here semi pro body in every way with an entry level buffer the newer model should be up to at least 15 shots in raw.

Either way the 7d II hasn't got a lot of competition. If you don't shoot action you probably won't need it but this camera is aimed at that type of user. Nikon don't have a model to directly compete with it (the D400 never arrived and some say never will)

LKaven

« Reply #208 on: February 07, 2015, 07:28:55 pm »

I wonder if there won't be a D9000 one day soon now.  I can't see Nikon putting APS-c into a flagship body ever again, but I could see them coming up with an APS-c camera with a D810 type body with a loaded feature set.  Meanwhile, I'd expect a D7200 very soon.

dwswager

« Reply #209 on: February 07, 2015, 09:12:13 pm »

The problem with the D7100 is the buffer it's just too small for Raw shooters and esp action shooters. Really it needs to be about twice the size to be "acceptable" once you get into high level sports/action shooting some users want 20+ shots in raw if not a bit more, the D7100 falls far far short of that. I've an A77 and that has 16 shots raw but not enough for some users (the II model has a huge buffer) Nikon did mess up a bit here semi pro body in every way with an entry level buffer the newer model should be up to at least 15 shots in raw.

Either way the 7d II hasn't got a lot of competition. If you don't shoot action you probably won't need it but this camera is aimed at that type of user. Nikon don't have a model to directly compete with it (the D400 never arrived and some say never will)

We are in violent agreement that the D7100 does not perform because of its limited capability for frame rate thorughput.  For that small segment that shoot RAW and need 8-10 fps and longer bursts then the 7DmkII is the only alternative at any reasonable price point so you sacrifice sensor performance for functionality.  But I've shot soccer, softball, baseball, etc. with the D7100 and while limiting it is still effective.  Hell the D810 is actually faster and more efficient though due to the faster processor and larger buffer.  And I was a former D300 shooter waiting for a D400 before going to the D7100.

I wonder if there won't be a D9000 one day soon now.  I can't see Nikon putting APS-c into a flagship body ever again, but I could see them coming up with an APS-c camera with a D810 type body with a loaded feature set.  Meanwhile, I'd expect a D7200 very soon.

Agree that the D# cameras will never see APS-C again.   However, there should be a D300 replacement with 24MP, 8 fps and decent buffer in a pro style body with the button interface. I would leave the 1 number cameras for the top, the 3 numeral cameras for the pro style and the 4 number cameras (DXXXX) for the consumer cameras. 
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Up