Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon EOS 5Ds and 5DsR - 50.3MP with and without AA filters  (Read 78363 times)

LKaven

Re: Canon EOS 5Ds and 5DsR - 50.3MP with and without AA filters
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2015, 08:54:04 pm »

There will be endless threads in on-line forums bashing Canon, mostly by non-owners (and without proper knowledge of digital signal processing). On the other hand there will be great photographers producing outstanding images using those cameras.

...and an even greater number of studio photographers moving to Nikon (and perhaps to Sony, if they pony up).

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2015, 09:08:55 pm »

Hi,

It seems that it will have a Canon manufactured sensor, according to latest rumors.

Best regards
Erik

...and an even greater number of studio photographers moving to Nikon (and perhaps to Sony, if they pony up).
Erik Kaffehr

LKaven

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2015, 09:23:42 pm »

It seems that it will have a Canon manufactured sensor, according to latest rumors.

I'll be keen to see what they've come up with.  I expect popcorn stocks will rise close to the release date.  Either way, it will be interesting.

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2015, 09:47:31 pm »

If it is just 7D Mk II sensor technology scaled to full frame, there will be lots of disappointment.  I hope they did not take the easier path and really do have a sensor built on newer semiconductor technology.

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2015, 09:58:59 pm »

There will be endless threads in on-line forums bashing Canon, mostly by non-owners (and without proper knowledge of digital signal processing). On the other hand there will be great photographers producing outstanding images using those cameras.

I don't care who makes the sensor. It can be Canon, Sony, Canon-Sony, Samsung or Canon-Samsung, I don't care. If at least it doesn't have 14-stops of DR. I will start migration to Sony. (13.8 stops or more to be exact). There you have it Kuanon!

Eduardo

dwswager

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2015, 10:05:51 pm »

I don't care who makes the sensor. It can be Canon, Sony, Canon-Sony, Samsung or Canon-Samsung, I don't care. If at least it doesn't have 14-stops of DR. I will start migration to Sony. (13.8 stops or more to be exact). There you have it Kuanon!

Eduardo

Oh, Lord, don't even think like that.  Sensor wise, the 7DmkII is basically the same performance as the 7DmkI with a software tweak (a little better gain strategy)!

LKaven

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2015, 10:48:28 pm »

Oh, Lord, don't even think like that.  Sensor wise, the 7DmkII is basically the same performance as the 7DmkI with a software tweak (a little better gain strategy)!

And yet one would think that if Canon had another sensor technology waiting in the wings, the 7DII would have been the camera in which to introduce it.

Joe Towner

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2015, 10:52:30 pm »

It'll be interesting to see how many Canon folks bitch and complain about something.

MF has taught me that if your technique isn't perfect, your images will tattle.
t: @PNWMF

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2015, 11:46:59 pm »

And yet one would think that if Canon had another sensor technology waiting in the wings, the 7DII would have been the camera in which to introduce it.

Paraphrasing dwswager:

Oh, Lord, don't even think like that.  We're screwed!

telyt

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2015, 12:48:10 am »

... the rumor has it that the CFA filters have been optimized for color accuracy rather than high ISO performance, something medium format cameras is said to have had all the time. If that's true it would be just awesome.

Might be a suitable replacement for my aging DMR.

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2015, 12:54:05 am »

I guess everybody here is on the same boat, dieing to know how this camera will behave coupled with an Otus! :o

Josef Isayo

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2015, 01:08:07 am »

Thats going on right now. Unfortunately the internet forums all full of DR/DXO chart readers who base their opinion on those.

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2015, 01:11:59 am »

I am a bit surprised by these Exmor rumors in the new Canon. My sources, that seemed very credible, were saying that there was no way Canon was going to use a Sony sensor.

We'll know in a week it seems. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

The sensor in these cameras is a new Canon CMOS fabricated sensor.

Based on what Canon has said in the past you can expect improved colour fidelity. Personally, I am doubtful you will see an increase in DR that matches the Exmor.

We need to wait and see how it tests and performs. Until then its just throwing darts at a board.

Amazing how many naysayers have large collections of darts though  ;D

« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 01:13:38 am by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2015, 02:22:50 am »

Hi,

My take is that DR-wise the new 5Ds is going to be like a 5DIII, or better. It would be feasible that it could be a new generation of sensor having column-wise on sensor ADCs, we don't know until the sensor has been analysed.

Anyway, anyone who is happy with 7D or the 5DIII will be happy with the 5Ds.

The DR advantage of the Sony sensor is limited to low ISO.

As you know, existing Canon cameras are good enough to make competition winning images. Doubling the pixel count won't change that, but will offer some benefits.

I know two persons who shoot both Nikon and Canon, BTW, and I got the impression that they see the benefits of resolution and DR but they still really like shooting with the Canons. With the 5Ds the resolution advantage will become history, with DR we have to see.

Best regards
Erik

Based on what Canon has said in the past you can expect improved colour fidelity. Personally, I am doubtful you will see an increase in DR that matches the Exmor.

We need to wait and see how it tests and performs. Until then its just throwing darts at a board.

Erik Kaffehr

shadowblade

« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2015, 03:12:25 am »

Hi,

My take is that DR-wise the new 5Ds is going to be like a 5DIII, or better. It would be feasible that it could be a new generation of sensor having column-wise on sensor ADCs, we don't know until the sensor has been analysed.

Anyway, anyone who is happy with 7D or the 5DIII will be happy with the 5Ds.

I doubt it. They are aimed at two completely different groups of photographers. The 5Ds doesn't seem to have the same high-ISO capabilities as the 5D3, nor the same frame rate. Those who liked the 5D3 (specifically, those who preferred the 5D3 over the D800e/D810) probably won't have the same preference for the 5Ds, but will wait for the 5D4.

The DR advantage of the Sony sensor is limited to low ISO.

The likely customers for a 50MP body - landscape and studio photographers, and others shooting things that don't move - tend to live at low ISO. Canon sensors being equal at ISO 6400 is irrelevant if you never go past ISO 800. Just like Son's low-ISO superiority is irrelevant if you shoot live music and never dip below ISO 3200.

As you know, existing Canon cameras are good enough to make competition winning images. Doubling the pixel count won't change that, but will offer some benefits.

I know two persons who shoot both Nikon and Canon, BTW, and I got the impression that they see the benefits of resolution and DR but they still really like shooting with the Canons. With the 5Ds the resolution advantage will become history, with DR we have to see.

Increasing the DR won't make your photos any better. But they will allow you to capture images up to your usual standard in a greater range of situations. There were a significant number of situations I couldn't adequately capture with the 5D2 - high-contrast, especially backlit, scenes where terrain and movement precluded ND filters or exposure bracketing, especially shooting from rocking boats or helicopters - that became much easier with the added DR of the A7r. The added DR didn't make my shots any better. But they allowed me to shoot in situations where I was previously unable to take a technically-good image, chiefly due to shadow noise.

LKaven

« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2015, 04:30:50 am »

The likely customers for a 50MP body - landscape and studio photographers, and others shooting things that don't move - tend to live at low ISO. Canon sensors being equal at ISO 6400 is irrelevant if you never go past ISO 800. Just like Sony's low-ISO superiority is irrelevant if you shoot live music and never dip below ISO 3200.

I've noticed that since people have started working with the 645Z and (and other cameras using the Sony MF CMOS sensor), they have been exploring new creative options, including the use of high ISO settings, and I expect they'll continue to push the creative limits using whatever new cameras will afford them.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2015, 05:33:13 am »

Agreed.

Personally I see this as another potential option, I hope it performs significantly better than what we have today.

cheers,
Bernard

Jglaser757

« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2015, 06:33:53 am »

Well, I shot with the 5 MK III until the D810 came out. I love the 36 mp quality and DR.  I can tell you first hand that the ergonomics were better on the mk III and liked the AF. But, shooting landscapes and going with big prints(60x40), I can see a difference in files.

I bet the cost is gonna be at least 4800.

Gary Ferguson

• http://
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2015, 07:00:13 am »

I read the following on the Northlight blog about the 5Ds,

"there is a suggestion that the relatively low max ISO is from a much stronger set of colour filters than usual - more welcome news if so"

Can anyone explain what is meant by "a much stronger set of colour filters"?

Thanks

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2015, 07:56:57 am »

Indeed, although I'd add one minor correction - mostly by anonymous non-owners;)
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up