Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Land Rover Defender 110  (Read 36188 times)

Colorado David

Re: Land Rover Defender 110
« Reply #120 on: January 30, 2015, 11:08:17 am »

Another reason to consider diesel other than simple fuel economy is range.  Sometimes the fact that you have greater range is more important than the money.

Harold Clark

« Reply #121 on: January 30, 2015, 04:21:29 pm »

Another reason to consider diesel other than simple fuel economy is range.  Sometimes the fact that you have greater range is more important than the money.

Very true, and while diesel fuel consumption is less then gasoline in regular driving, it is very much less at idle or light throttle. If stuck in a snowbank in a remote location, a full tank would probably keep the engine idling and producing cabin heat for days. There is also a safety factor, diesel is much more difficult to ignite than gasoline if spilled in a fuel leak or accident.

jduncan

« Reply #122 on: February 02, 2015, 04:47:44 pm »

english is not my first language, an I k

jduncan

« Reply #123 on: February 02, 2015, 04:56:54 pm »

A late 70's Land Cruiser FJ40 is only way to go. Insanely reliable, easy to find parts and repair. You can't go wrong. Just get it from the south where it hasn't been exposed to snow and salt.

Beautiful,
I my country (Costa Rica) they were very popular. Nowadays many people have them as collection. About  5 years ago I was traveling on the country side of Costa Rica, and saw a  101 license number, so yes the car number 101 on the country and still going strong in the countryside. Later on I saw the  98 still going on.
I have never seen this color on my country. Do it has most of the original painting or that color is a custom work ?

Best regards,
english is not my first language, an I k

one iota

« Reply #124 on: February 05, 2015, 09:56:53 pm »

Well I own one and regardless of whatever any one else who doesn't says and doesn't know ... I'm pleased to own and above all use one for its purpose. I live in a place where you can.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128911965@N08/15853454557/

Note the lens used
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 11:09:57 pm by one iota »
Mahn England

Ansel42

« Reply #125 on: February 05, 2015, 11:26:11 pm »

The Lexus gx470 (or something like this) was the closest to a Toyota Land Cruiser

In point of fact, the GX470 is a gussied-up 4th generation 4Runner, which is extremely reliable and has very good stock off-road capability, and tons of after-market support.

The current 5th generation 4Runner Trail Edition is highly capable as well:

http://expeditionportal.com/2013-overland-suv-of-the-year-runner-up-2013-toyota-4runner-trail-edition/

chex

« Reply #126 on: February 05, 2015, 11:38:36 pm »

As an African spending lots of time in the bush I can tell you that the Defender is an awful car.

If you want a basic Land Rover get a used Classic Range Rover. It will still need TLC but earlier versions are electronically simple and the mechanical TLC it needs is very basic and anyone can do it. The base is similar to the Defender but it's much lighter weight which seems to make a huge difference to the mechanical reliability.

jeffreybehr

• Happily retired accountant
« Reply #127 on: February 09, 2015, 03:04:31 am »

I know all the Lucas jokes, The British drink warm beer because Lucas also made refrigerators. God said, "Let there be light" and Lucas said, "Not if I can help it."  A three-position switch made by Lucas is Off, Dim, and Flicker.

Indeed...and 'Lucas, Prince of Darkness'.

one iota

« Reply #128 on: February 22, 2015, 08:58:32 pm »

Of course one should never let one's opinion be distorted by reality.

I tend to base my opinion on my experience rather than prejudice.

I could be wrong however.
Mahn England
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up