Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Metadata in Two Languages?  (Read 1655 times)

mbaginy

Metadata in Two Languages?
« on: November 21, 2014, 12:41:24 pm »

Being an American living in Germany, I can’t quite decide, in which language to write my image keywords, captions and titles.  Both languages would be great but I’d like to somehow separate them.  I thought of writing English in one and German in another color or one language cursive but I haven’t found a way of doing so in LR.

Has anyone found a satisfactory way of writing such metadata in various (two) languages?

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: Metadata in Two Languages?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 01:35:57 pm »

It's a difficult problem and I've never seen anyone with a satisfactory solution (except in high end DAM programs). The happiest seem those who enter the other language's keywords as synonyms - smart collections can find images using keywords and synonyms.

RikkFlohr

• Adobe, Inc. - Photography Products
    • Rikk Flohr's Website
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 02:08:30 pm »

That is what I do. For living creatures, common name in English, Latin Genus/Species and local language names go in the Synonyms.
Rikk Flohr
Quality Engineer Customer Advocate - Photography Products
Adobe

mbaginy

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 05:02:00 am »

Rikk and John, thanks for your comments.  I'll give your suggestions more thought - seems the only practicable solution, albeit with compromises.

I had thought of creating two catalogs - one for German, the other for English but I fear that course would be too involved when processing images and having to update the other catalog.  A mess seems inevitable.  Or maybe someone can offer advice how to keep my image processing in sync across catalogs?

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 06:44:32 am »

I had thought of creating two catalogs - one for German, the other for English but I fear that course would be too involved when processing images and having to update the other catalog.  A mess seems inevitable.  Or maybe someone can offer advice how to keep my image processing in sync across catalogs?

A mess is indeed inevitable. Syncing the processing will also sync the metadata.

Are you able to cope with simple scripting? It would open up some opportunities, but I think the next step is to air this problem and see if a good solution becomes obvious. I don't think one will, but there's no harm looking around.

mbaginy

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 07:52:47 am »

Are you able to cope with simple scripting?

John, fear that exceeds my abilities.  I guess I'd best stick to what I'd been doing - some English, others German and a few in both.  Lengthens my keyword list or should I say, es verlängert die Liste meiner Schlagwörter.  Maybe LR will some day offer a better method.  I imagine this should be an issue many users have encountered.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 10:02:45 am »

Well, synonyms have the benefit of not lengthening the keyword list, Mike.

owinthomas

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 12:42:16 pm »

Have you thought of using a virtual copy?

Do all the post processing first. Add your key wording etc. in your primary language, create a virtual copy using  your secondary language after removing the primary language if you don't want it.

Just a thought.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 12:45:14 pm by owinthomas »

mbaginy

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 02:54:17 pm »

John, I'll use your suggestion (and Rikk's) using synonyms.  That will keep my list as short as possible.  I need to rework my list anyway, I fear it got out of hand and I've gone too far into detail - never really used it as I had once envisioned.

I'll also give closer though to the use of visual copies.  Maybe I could color code all in one language as well - that would allow quick filtering.  Thanks for your suggestion, owinthomas.
Pages: [1]   Go Up