Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Winter weight gloves  (Read 5571 times)

stamper

Winter weight gloves
« on: November 21, 2014, 10:44:11 am »

Are there such a thing as a glove that can be used for pressing small buttons on a small camera. I am thinking about a protruding tip on the thumb like a finger plucker for guitars that is small enough to accurately press the small buttons? TIA

ripgriffith

• ripsart.com
Re: Winter weight gloves
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 11:14:52 am »

Are there such a thing as a glove that can be used for pressing small buttons on a small camera. I am thinking about a protruding tip on the thumb like a finger plucker for guitars that is small enough to accurately press the small buttons? TIA
Many of us here in Russia use fingerless gloves with a flip-back velcro-secured mitten covering.  They're usually  available at hunting/sporting goods stores.  Mine are thinsulate lined, so quite warm, and since I keep my camera inside my coat until I shoot (batteries die quickly in -20C temps) so it isn't too cold  to touch. 

On the other  hand no pun intended, really) one could perhaps use one of those red-dot textured buttons designed for the shutter release, but instead, sticking it to the glove.  It's just a thought, and I do not know how well it would adhere to fabric or  leather. Better, I hope, than it does to metal, as mine have slipped off my shutter release quite quickly, leaving behind a nasty sticky residue that is very difficult to remove.  Mine required copious quantities of vodka, but then, most  problems in Russia require copious quantities quantities of vodka.

dwswager

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 11:30:25 am »

There are no perfect gloves that allow full camera function and protect from cold and wet!  There are many options though for thin gloves or fingerless (and flip finger).  In bitter cold, a good pair of glove liners that allow you to work the camera worn under heavy cold protective gloves work.

Google is your friend..here is a link to give some ideas.

http://42concepts.com/design/winter-iphone-gloves

And of course, you could see what camera shops sell:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=gloves&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 11:32:42 am by dwswager »

stamper

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 11:37:02 am »

Thanks for the replies. I have a pair of gloves that have the flip back finger tops but would like a pair without that had a tip built in to the thumb for complete warmth.

NancyP

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 12:26:10 pm »

I use 1. fleece fingerless gloves with attached flip-back mitts or 2. spandex/thinsulate glove liners and separate fleece flip-back mitts or 3. spandex/thinsulate glove liners and separate heavy duty nylon mitts with bulky thinsulate lining for maximum water and wind resistance. Go to your local hunting outfitter or outdoors outfitter (Bass Pro, Cabela's, REI, EMS, etc) and try out the selection.

SZRitter

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 01:13:35 pm »

Beyond glove liners (which I use during ski photography), also look at North Face's E-Tip and Burton's equivalent. The trick is to get them as snug as possible without being too tight on the fingers. For this reason I liked the Burton gloves better. I shoot an Olympus E-M5 with them and can control most of the camera with the gloves on.

A note about glove liners, they rip easy. I went through a pair or more a year when I was shooting my Nikon.

allegretto

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 01:14:09 pm »

Go to REI or similar... buy well-fitting Patagonia glove liners

take a nice warm pair of gloves/mittens and cut off just enough to let your last finger joint out.

it's rather easy to feel and touch though the liners if they are nice and trim but not too tight

alternatively, surgical gloves used similarly to the Patagonia are truly superb.... but don't get them too tight they will decrease circulation and make you colder. Trim, not tight

stamper

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 04:18:26 am »

I think a "solution" is to wear gloves and use a small mobile phone stylus with a small loop on it which loops to my thumb so it doesn't drop.

ripgriffith

• ripsart.com
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2014, 07:09:59 am »

I think a "solution" is to wear gloves and use a small mobile phone stylus with a small loop on it which loops to my thumb so it doesn't drop.
I think you were better off with the finger-pick idea, or get a camera with a comprehensive touch-screen.

stamper

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2014, 07:20:43 am »

I have the Lumix GX7 and the Olympus EM-5. What I have done is add a wrist strap to a mobile phone stylus and I am heading out to capture sunset images on a cold evening which means I will try it out with warm thin gloves on without out the finger cut offs. :)

ripgriffith

• ripsart.com
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2014, 07:23:23 am »

I have the Lumix GX7 and the Olympus EM-5. What I have done is add a wrist strap to a mobile phone stylus and I am heading out to capture sunset images on a cold evening which means I will try it out with warm thin gloves on without out the finger cut offs. :)
Good luck with this (not being sarcastic)!

stamper

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 03:42:44 am »

I did try it out and it works. I am sure it isn't a novel idea but haven't seen it promoted elsewhere. The one I have has a fairly large tip so I will look for a smaller one. :)

brianrybolt

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2014, 07:12:21 am »

I have been using "Aqua Tech Sensory Gloves" for the past three years.  Have photographed both above the Arctic Circle and in Antarctica.  The gloves have been fantastic.  When I first got them, I thought they were too thin and would never work but with a thin pair of silk liners - no problem.

I bought them from 'Outdoor Photo Gear' who are based in Louisville, KY.  You can get them on-line from them.

Brian

NancyP

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2014, 06:31:25 pm »

Some of the "shooter's gloves" have nice grippy silicone on the finger pads and palms. The one thing that drives me nuts is that there are a few operations with every camera that require picking at the camera with bare fingers. On the Canon, it's opening the rubber flap that covers the shutter release socket. On the Sigma DP Merrill compact, which I use with an L -bracket/ grip, it's coaxing the spent battery out.

DickKenny

• Dick Kenny at The Chantry Studio
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2014, 07:56:01 am »

The very best solution I have found comes from America. Take a look at Toaster mittens made by a company called Swany. They are waterproof mittens - designed primarily I suspect for skiers - that come with separate silk-like liners. The unique feature is the zip fastened opening in the side of the mitten. One tug with ones teeth and a silk gloved hand pops out of the side ready to finger the smallest button. One tooth tug in the opposite direction, and your hand is back in its warm mitten. Expensive, but great for sissies.

ripgriffith

• ripsart.com
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2014, 09:38:54 am »

Expensive, but great for sissies.
Your implication being that all who need to manipulate very tiny buttons on their cameras in extremely cold weather are "sissies"?

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2014, 12:21:32 pm »

Your implication being that all who need to manipulate very tiny buttons on their cameras in extremely cold weather are "sissies"?

Well Dick obviously has a pair so I guess he's a sissy too - or just adding a touch of humour. ;D  It's all a matter of degrees really.  I think Stamper, like me, lives in the UK, but If I'm right he also lives up in the chilly north whereas Im a southern softie.  We did have snow about three years ago - honest!

Jim

ripgriffith

• ripsart.com
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2014, 12:32:54 pm »

he also lives up in the chilly north
Jim
The chilly north?  Give me a break :) (spoken from a northern Russian perspective)  :) :)

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2014, 01:02:05 pm »

The chilly north?  Give me a break :) (spoken from a northern Russian perspective)  :) :)

Yes - well I did say it's all a matter of degrees.......!

DickKenny

• Dick Kenny at The Chantry Studio
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2014, 04:35:16 pm »

Chilly north sums it up pretty well - in both climate and sense of humour. Best keep my advice to myself in future - or at least to someone who can smile at life's little vicissitudes. Ho Hum....
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up