I am starting to work more with hotels and resorts and I really would like to move away from this even flat "natural feel" lighting that has become so popular these days (especially with architects and designers) when I work hospitality clients. I want to introduce more key lighting and light & shadow to simulate sunlight. I tried this on a recent shoot, but ultimately feel that I failed at it, primarily because I did not have the right modifier.
I have a few soft boxes with grids, but I find that (even with the gird) the spread is too much. Also, the soft boxes tend to be too ... well ... soft.
I tried the Magnum reflector, which is easy to rent, and is marketed having a very even spot light with sharp shadows that simulates sunlight. Problem with this is that if you spill it into a room, since the spread is so even, light that hits an area closer to the reflector will be brighter then light that hits an area further away. This is not how direct sunlight works; direct sunlight maintains the same intensity throughout a scene.
So this brings me to the narrow beam reflector. It is marketed as having the same degree of spread as the magnum but with a center hotspot and softer less bright edges. I figure that this could work well in a small room to simulate reflected/indirect sunlight, since indirect sunlight often looks like this when only hitting part of a room. For a larger room with more depth, it could be easier to simulate direct sunlight with this reflector since the center is brighter then the edge and, over a longer spill, would decrease in intensity such that it would match the intensity of areas closer to the reflector. Beyond the center, if the edges are soft, it would not matter too much or I could just flag that edge.
Problem is, few places rent that reflector, which means I would probably have to buy it to test it. Also, I can not find any images online that diffidently say "narrow beam reflector used in this image." I have been looking at Ashley's work very intently recently and feel that he uses the narrow beam reflector in some images, but I can not say for sure.
Does anyone have experience with this reflector and can concur with my assumptions? Also, does anyone have images that I could look at that used the narrow beam reflector?