Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Yosemite not recommended by PhaseOne  (Read 24078 times)

Richard Marcellus

Re: Yosemite not recommended by PhaseOne
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2014, 07:12:09 pm »

Are you using OpenCL?

No I am not using OpenCL. I just tried it though and I immediately noticed that the responsiveness of edits is slower. This delay was very dramatic when I brushed in a localized edit and was moving the exposure slider. I also lose my highlight and shadow warnings when I am doing an edit (i.e. they don't update in real time). They only reappear after a short delay when I release the slider. Switching OpenCL off again fixes these issues on my machine (mid2012 15" retina).

Richard

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2014, 12:28:45 am »

I’ve been using C18 on Yosemite on my laptop for a few days with no issues.  However I just checked and openCL is disabled.

Speed seems decent, but I’ll enable it and see what happens.  

I’m not sure why we need to wait until 10.10.1 to use C1, it either works or it doesn’t.  Seems things are pretty stable already with yosemtie, and considering it’s been under public beta for months it seems it could be a more solid release than previous ones.  Also think much of the under the hood changes getting ready for yosemite were actually part of mavericks.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 03:51:27 pm by Wayne Fox »

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2014, 06:18:50 am »

I have been using C1 all week with Catalogs and sessions with no issues.  I am happy to report that by Sunday I'll be able to report how it works on the new 5K iMac.  Mine delivers tomorrow.

Kevin
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 05:28:21 pm by Kevin Raber »
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

StuartOnline

• Travels Photographer Stuart Schaefer
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2014, 08:01:43 am »

I have been using C18 all week with Catalogs and seasons with no issues.  I am happy to report that by Sunday I'll be able to report how it works on the new 5K iMac.  Mine delivers tomorrow.

Kevin

Kevin,

Have used C18 on a Macbook Pro 15" Retina (2012) with Yosemite and have not had any real issues.

I am looking at getting the new iMac 5K and will be interesting on how well C18 runs.
Also just wondering if you went with the Fusion Drive or Flash?

Is it worth upgrading to Flash?

Stu

Isleofgough

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2014, 11:57:30 am »

There is definitely a problem with Capture one pro v 8 and Yosemite on a Macbook pro. Everything is fine until one exports an image to Photoshop. It ends up very grainy with a lot of color noise. This occurs independent of the output format (psd, tiff, jpg) with no upscaling and occurs even if openGL is turned off for processing. This is a showstopper.

allegretto

« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2014, 02:27:55 pm »

There is definitely a problem with Capture one pro v 8 and Yosemite on a Macbook pro. Everything is fine until one exports an image to Photoshop. It ends up very grainy with a lot of color noise. This occurs independent of the output format (psd, tiff, jpg) with no upscaling and occurs even if openGL is turned off for processing. This is a showstopper.

Well you made me very nervous so I thought I'd give it a go, 7.2.3 vs 8

MBP/R 13" (early 2013 build)
3.0 i7
8G RAM
Open CL to Auto in both

First... much faster than 7.X... I mean 4-5X faster in processing mode

Second;

If I output a DNG to LR everything has a very strong green cast in both
If I output in Tiff to LR files perfect. No grain, no cast, no apparent loss of detail

tried it twice to be sure... same outcome both times

won't argue what you see, but not here... same when I open in Preview too
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 02:48:32 pm by allegretto »

Frank Doorhof

• http://
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2014, 02:44:39 am »

Disable the acceleration and the grain should be gone. It's much slower but at least it's workable till there is a fix.

Isleofgough

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2014, 04:05:43 pm »

Thank you. Disabling acceleration for display and processing worked great.

ssarchi

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2014, 07:03:32 pm »

How does one enable/disable open CL and how does one turn on and off "Acceleration"?

thanks

Richard Marcellus

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2014, 07:57:42 pm »

Capture One Menu > Preferences > General > Hardware Acceleration (Use Open CL for) > Never (both)

Richard

How does one enable/disable open CL and how does one turn on and off "Acceleration"?

thanks

ssarchi

« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2014, 08:36:09 am »

... thanks

and what about Acceleration?

lkuhlmann

« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2014, 06:10:27 am »

First of all an update to Capture One, fixing the Yosemite issues is close.

Secondly, look here for an impressive performance test of the iMac (faster than the Mac Pro 2013!) http://macperformanceguide.com/iMac5K_2014-CaptureOnePro-raw-to-JPEG.html

I have tested the 5k iMac, including OpenCL on, and it flies...

-Lionel

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2014, 02:20:43 pm »

Secondly, look here for an impressive performance test of the iMac (faster than the Mac Pro 2013!) http://macperformanceguide.com/iMac5K_2014-CaptureOnePro-raw-to-JPEG.html

I have tested the 5k iMac, including OpenCL on, and it flies...

-Lionel

Let’s not be too misleading here, you link the one of the few tests where the iMac won. And while digiloyd does a nice job of showing the iMac performing very well, and I agree with him that apple and developers for the most part  have not leveraged the dual GPU’s (except FCP?) and apple should offer a single GPU version, for the most part his tests show the MacPro winning, with some like his Photoshop huge suite shows the MacPro far better, and even the test you show, if you look at the previous test it shows the same test as you linked except using PS instead of C1 with substantially different results.

As suggested by the thread title, C1 is still not optimized for for Yosemite, perhaps that’s part of the issue with the particular test linked.

allegretto

« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2014, 12:14:11 am »

As suggested by the thread title, C1 is still not optimized for for Yosemite, perhaps that’s part of the issue with the particular test linked.

That may be true. however I now have the souped up last gen iMac and my 13" retina Air and C1 8.0 runs fast and without the frustrating blow-ups I had with C1 7.x

I had quit on C1 and was back in the LR fold, but the 8.0 version is like night and day on my machines. Time will tell if it's as robust as LR. Occasionally I had LR crash, but pretty rare. So far, so good with 8.0 though...

Time for import, preview development and even export to Media Pro are far faster with the same hardware. If I had 200 images to import I might as well of gone out to dinner with 7.x and the fans were on overdrive. Now much less drama. Not sure that they did since I'm not a "computer guy" by nature, but it sure does work...!

allegretto

« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2014, 08:14:52 am »

OK

One 13" MB Air running Yosemite/C1-8.0/LR 5.6   3Ghz Intel core i7  8G RAM

This is a huge crop that approximates 4-500% Shot as part of a series. EXIF: A7s...Leica 50mm Summicron...f2.0...1/60sec... WB @ 3750...0 tint. The small differences in tint is because on the C1 import A7s "generic" was checked. Not sure how to turn that back now... don't think I can...

Used screen grab to avoid any clues... at least I think so... one is C8.0, the other is LR 5.6

you tell me... remember this is "nose-bleed" level crop

PS, just got a ticket back from C1 Support that told me the problem seemed to with AMD cards... not Intel..

Manoli

« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2014, 09:04:47 am »

One 13" MB Air running Yosemite/C1-8.0/LR 5.6   3Ghz Intel core i7  8G RAM
[..]
PS, just got a ticket back from C1 Support that told me the problem seemed to with AMD cards... not Intel..

Following on from your previous post/thread ..

the file you uploaded is - at my end, called 'untitled.pages' - clicking on it opens a 4" preview in Preview only - un-archiving it, I get a melee of folders 'data-index-metadata and the previews'.  Suggest it's simpler to upload the png files themselves and they'll display directly under the post.

You're losing me, we've got the same 13" MB Air - i7-(1.7ghz) 8gb RAM 512SSD etc .. where does AMD come in to play, mine says Intel Graphics HD 5000 ?

Edit:
That may be true. however I now have the souped up last gen iMac and my 13" retina Air and C1 8.0 runs fast and without the frustrating blow-ups I had with C1 7.x

13" MB Pro or MB Air - which one is it ?, AFAIK there is no retina on the Airs.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 09:15:07 am by Manoli »

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com

gdh

• https://www.facebook.com/Gallery833-Fine-Art-in-Redding-160225810674500/
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2014, 11:10:12 pm »

Is there a readily available step by step for the recommended "clean install?"  I'm always worried I'll mess up my files

ario

« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2014, 01:18:56 am »

Is there a readily available step by step for the recommended "clean install?"  I'm always worried I'll mess up my files
This one:
http://www.phaseone.com/Search/Article.aspx?articleid=1167&languageid=1

gdh

• https://www.facebook.com/Gallery833-Fine-Art-in-Redding-160225810674500/
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2014, 12:27:10 pm »

Thank you
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up