Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: KODAK MOMENTS  (Read 7651 times)

63alfred

KODAK MOMENTS
« on: October 14, 2014, 04:43:10 pm »

Kevin Raber suggested that my observations on Luminous Landscape's recent reporting on the Photokina 2014 exhibition might find a home here.  So here it is:

I recently was looking at a photography blog (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/) that had a series of articles on the Photokina 2014 exhibition in September in Cologne Germany.  As one of the premier photographic trade-shows their coverage of this event was full of tantalizing new products of interest to the amateur as well as the professional photographer.  Understandably, the major displays at the show and the most “eye-catching” vendors were those associated with digital gadgets and advanced digital image capturing technology.  What caught my eye though, and what admittedly elicited my most visceral response was the picture they had of a small Kodak display (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/photokina___days_2__3.shtml about 3/4th way down the page).  Under the single picture of Kodak’s booth was the note, “A Sad Story, Kodak Used To Occupy A Whole Hall.”  I may only be an amateur photographer, but I have been a chemical engineer for over 30 years and the story behind Kodak’s (and Polaroid’s for that matter) rise and fall is far more complicated than simple corporate mis-management.  It reveals to us some inherent problems unique to the United States economy, and alerts us to a path that we are proceeding down that may not be where we really want to go.

As of this year, 2014, Mark Zuckerburg age 30 of Facebook has a net worth of $33.1 billion.  Larry Page and Sergey Brin both 41 of Google are worth $31.7 billion and 30 billion respectively.  George Eastman had a net worth of $95 million in 1932 when he committed suicide with his famous note, “My work is done – Why wait? GE.”  He was worth at the time about $26.8 billion in today’s dollars.  Similar net worths, but that is where the similarities end.  George Eastman invented, built, and created the infrastructure to create real things.  Zuckerburg, Page, and Brin are simple Ad Men and Information Brokers, in other words, Grifters.  Eastman created what he needed from scratch, the only thing he depended upon was maybe the reliability of the US postal service which could justifiably be depended upon as it is required my the US Constitution (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postal_Clause).  Zuckerburg et al. can only exist because of a vast amount of past and present infrastructure which they had no involvement in creating and or maintaining.  Without electrical power there is no Facebook or Google.  If Eastman could not get reliable electrical power for one of his plants, he would simply build a power plant himself!  But most importantly beyond all the tremendous advancements in technology Eastman and his companies produced, he created an avenue for the common man to attain a comfortable middle class life working in one of his facilities.  This in itself provided the important bedrock upon which the prosperity of this country has rested for much of the 20th century.  Zuckerburg et al. provide no such foundation and it can be argued that their actions actually undermine the current foundations present.  What does this have to do with Photokina 2014, please bear with me and read on.

It cannot be argued that the fall of Kodak as reflected by its tiny booth at Photokina 2014 was not the fault of gross mismanagement at this companies top.  History shows this to be true, but this far from tells the whole story.  It was also stated in the coverage of Photokina 2014 how well Fuji and Leica are doing reflected in their larges displays at the exhibition.  First and foremost we must remember that Fuji and Leica are not US companies and this makes a huge difference as the fall of Kodak can be traced to the corporate outlook and economic pressures unique to the US as it can to anything else.  Please allow me to elaborate.

Soon after I started my career in chemical engineering in 1983 I noticed a distinct fall in the status and need for engineers in America (I am not talking “software engineers” which are actually computer programers, I am talking about chemical, electrical, structural, civil, mechanical, nuclear, petroleum engineers).  It was not until a number of years later and some historical research, something I had not time to do while starting my career and raising a family, that I came to a better understanding what was actually happening here.  It all started with the evolution in the 1980’s of the “Greed is Good” outlook that culminated in the Savings and Loan Crisis perpetrated by Michael Milken and his ilk that almost brought this country to its knees.  One of the hidden to the general public results of this was its disastrous effects on major manufacturing companies.  Even companies not directly threatened by the Savings and Loan sharks felt the effects.  These companies, some of which had spent 50 or even 100 years building up a “fully integrated” production capability quickly changed their mindset.  Faced with the potential of a hostile takeover and selected sell-off of their once integrated components for short-term profits (or to simply pay off loans taken to purchase the firm in the first place) these once powerful firms entered into this self-destructive behavior on their own.  To do so these companies transferred their leadership into the hands of managers of that mindset.  The result was off-shoring and other decisions that created short-term gains to satisfy Wall Street while decimating these companies’ long-term viability.  Frankly in addition to this these managers were so short-sighted that they simply made horrible business decisions like those made by Kodak. 

These actions corresponded with and assisted in the “financialization” of the American economy (see: http://www.63alfred.com/whomakesit/index.htm) that has steadily increased since the 1970s reaching a point in about 1986 when the percent of GDP in the US involved with Finance, Insurance, Real Estate, Rental, and Leasing exceed that of Manufacturing.  By the late 2000s the financial sector of our economy, as a percent of GDP, had reached about 21% while that associated with manufacturing has fallen to about 11%.  I would contest that the small Kodak booth at Photokina 2014 was inevitable due to the evolution of economic pressures on businesses that has been allowed to fester in the US.

Fuji and Leica are Japanese and German companies respectively and although the Japanese economy may not have fully recovered from its downturn in the 1990s these counties still have a far different outlook on how the government, the economy, and companies interact.  Because of what residents in Japan and Germany expect from their companies and how their respective governments respond to these public expectations, the pressures on these companies are much different and I would contest that this allows them to concentrate far more on the long-term viability of their operations than the short-term return of their shareholders.  And that is why their booths at Photokina 2014 were so much larger that than of Kodak’s.

This is important because as we rely more and more in the US on an economy supported by the Facebook’s and the Google’s we are concentrating on short-term goals that really do not create lasting wealth in our economy and cannot sustain a middle class existence for the majority of our population.

Ironically, my old fashion, 20 year old 35mm film camera (with Kodak Ektar 100 film) can still take pictures that have a higher resolving capability than almost all current cell phone cameras (since cell phone cameras are the main mode of image capturing these days).   Also my 30 year old medium format camera (with the same film) can easily exceed the resolving capabilities of most current digital SLRs and even approaches that of digital cameras costing many thousands or tens of thousands of dollars (http://63alfred.smugmug.com/Shootingfilm/Film/Film-vs-Digital/i-RtHFfc6/A).  Again it seems that even as individuals we have abandoned quality for quantity, and long term durability for short term gratification.

David Anderson

• http://www.twigwater.com
Re: KODAK MOMENTS
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 09:05:56 pm »

Google ?
They stole the ad industry from the ad industry.. ;D

The real problem with companies like Google is they don't pay any tax.
So they come here and suck up all the ad revenue, but make no contribution to the society that supports them.
Apple is the same.

If I were in charge of Australia (you should thank your respective gods, or lack of, that I'm not  :D) I would simply hit them with percentage of turnover tax and if they didn't like it - see you later.. 8)

Anyway, photography has always been an international business and IMHO, if Fuji are doing it well and hoovering up some sales over some American or German brand - good luck to them.
I say that, but seeing 'made in China' on a Nikon lens still gives me the shits.  ;)

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 03:41:52 am »

Thanks for your interesting perspective.

Your points are well made - but I think you should give more credit to the Facebook/Google people.  Did Kodak not achieve so much because they made access to photography for the mass population?  Facebook makes the sharing and dissemination of that photography possible in a previously unseen way.  I'm not saying they invented it or are unique.  But the mass population seem to get huge pleasure from uploading and sharing their family pictures this way.  These people are successful because they fulfill a need - so in that way Kodak and Facebook are similar.

I agree they should all pay a lot more tax though.....

Jim

mbaginy

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 05:02:14 am »

I agree with your views and comments, Alfred, David, Jim.  I may now like some of the changes and developments which have taken place in recent years, but I can't can't stop changes.  Maybe I should even try - it will only lead to frustation.  I try to deal with changes I don't consider positive by trying not to participate.

My father enjoyed Oldsmobiles for over two decades.  I bought and was really pleased with my Gremlin and AMX.  Just for fun, I took some (slide film) shots with my old Retina SLR and Schneider lenses some years back.  Excellent results!!  I was any Army Brat and over the past years I visited some cities, where my father had been stationed.  Crailsheim: post is gone, only some quarters remains; Robinson Barracks, Stuttgart: densely packed German homes where the PX and commissary once stood; Berlin: post is gone, housing remains.  I now live in former US consulate members' quarters in Bonn.  Almost like the old days, but the language around me is wrong, the car license plates aren't green, ...   At times, I think bad and it saddens me, that so much has changed - often not for the better.

I recently completed an old-fashion style photo album of a friend's wedding.  Actually pasted the photos in the album with adhesive corners.  That was fun!!  And I'll begin with a scrap book for myself soon (old fashion style).

Change will never cease.  I now find it easier to deal with it, since I can easily ignore some of it.  That works for me.  A shame, that those changes Alfred wrote about impact millions of people and whole countries.

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 02:00:29 pm »

And those new and inventive American companies making lots of investment dollars in American stock portfolios are bad because...?
Dollars have always voted. Kodak was making piles of money off chemicals and other film-related products and lacked the foresightedness that investors had. That they've survived this long is remarkable. A small convention footprint is still a footprint.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 12:15:29 pm »

The OP blames business for the current economic landscape when the problem is government policies including the federal reserve.  People and business go where the money is.  They establish business goals that complement government action.  When the government raises taxes here, business flees to other countries.  Likewise, foreign companies are not drawn to invest in America because taxes elsewhere are lower.  The OP is blaming the victim of public policies.    If America was smart. we'd drop all taxes for any foreign company that wishes to invest in America.    We'll make-up the "lost" business taxes from the millions of new jobs created for those businesses in the form of additional payroll taxes from the newly hired.  And think of all the new jobs there will be available for those  currently out of work?  Low or no taxes are good for business and low unemployment.

When the fed prints money to support government spending deficits, and the government taxes some industries and favors some over others, it distorts the marketplace.  Bubbles are created like we had in real estate and the stock market recently.  It happened a couple of decades ago with the Savings and Loan crisis when  government tax policy induced people to build strip malls where they weren't required and stayed empty just for the tax write-offs.  If the government creates a square economic hole, round companies will become square to fit in.  Business create products based on distorted government economic practices instead of following the supply and demand of the marketplace. 

Of course, business on their own create issues for themselves regardless of government practices.  That has always happened and will continue to happen.  So what's the OP's point on this?  Should we ban digital and bring back film?  Ban cars and bring back horse and buggies and buggy whips?  Do away with the internet and eBooks, Facebook, Google so newspapers and  libraries can do better.  Is the New York Times the next Kodak?  Oh, do you know I met my current wife of 21 years from a personal ad in The New York Magazine?  They didn't have a list of likes and dislikes as eHarmony on the internet does.  Oh, I also still shoot with film as well as digital.   

Telecaster

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 03:14:07 pm »

I agree with the OP as far as short-term vs. long-term outlook is concerned. We humans aren't very good at long-term thinking or planning regardless of the context, but in the US the ubiquity of venture capital further encourages a short-term mentality. Put your money down, maximize profits now, then get out. What happens to companies after you leave? Hey, their problem…we're on to the next thing. IMO this is not a healthy way to go about it if you value a sane degree of corporate/economic/societal stability.

-Dave-

David Anderson

• http://www.twigwater.com
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 05:17:53 pm »

Dave, I agree.

Greed is out of control.
the top 1% own almost half the worlds wealth now.
The pay gap between CEO and their average worker is through the roof.
That same worker is taxed every pay, without fail while taxes for the mega rich are going down if they're payed at all.

Solution for the hungry ?
Eat a baby boomer.. ;)

That is all comrades.. ;D

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 05:25:01 pm »

That same worker is taxed every pay, without fail while taxes for the mega rich are going down if they're payed at all.
comrade Bill (Gates)

http://www.gatesnotes.com/Books/Why-Inequality-Matters-Capital-in-21st-Century-Review

suggests to tax consumption, not wealth... nice idea, I like it - when consumption represents 100% of what poor get and only may be 0.00001% of what he gets   :D ... even he spins that as "a progressive tax on consumption" (not even thinking about technicalities of implementing such scheme - which shall benefits companies ripping off tax payers money in big federal/state IT wasteprojects)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014, 10:34:39 pm »

The concept of taxing consumption is that it leaves the money (savings) not being consumed by either folks like me and you or the mega rich to be invested as capital.  When their money or yours is invested in a company or let's say a 401K that invests in corporate stocks and bonds, that money is used to expand existing and create new businesses.  That creates jobs and wealth for everyone.  This non-consuming savings are dollars and dollar bills cannot be eaten.  It has to be exchange for a product.  At that point, tax the consumption.   Savings and investments are just a number in a bank book or investment portfolio.  That money has no hard value until it's exchanged and consumed. 

If we tax savings and investments before they are used or during, we decrease investments and the resulting business and jobs those investments will create.

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2014, 10:43:58 pm »

If we tax savings and investments before they are used or during, we decrease investments and the resulting business and jobs those investments will create.
nobody is taxing your principal only your gains, etc... and where do you think taxes are spent - they also spent to create some jobs :-) ... plus taxing consumption hits poor disproportionally, because again - they spent 100% of what they get to consume, I do not... so I have nothing against non taxing goods or services that those folks are getting so that they can consume more (= that way also stimulating the businesses) or may be some of them can save something too ... you (as Bill) want to in fact increase the disparity further by increasing your non taxed wealth, that's understandable (about wealth)...
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 10:49:15 pm by deejjjaaaa »

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2014, 01:13:46 am »

The rich and people like you and me re-invest principals and gains.  So that capital including the gains add to investments and growth of businesses and jobs.  It doesn't matter if it's called principals or gains.  The owner of those investments cannot take advantage of them until he sells the investment and consumes its value.  Tax his consumption at that point.  But leave the investments alone, gains as well as principal-they help everyone. Regarding those that are poor, tax rebates could be set up to offset the consumption tax for these people.  In that way, consumption tax won't  be regressive.

By the way, the non-rich have advantages of IRA's and retirement funds that can be saved and invested with no income tax being taken out until they cash out in retirement.  It's really the same premise I'm suggesting for all investments. 

Finally, the government and taxes don't create jobs.  That's a myth. That's because they don't create anything that isn't taken from someone else in the form of taxes.   All the government does is spend money for one group of people or industry that were taken from people and business elsewhere.  If the government takes $1000 more from me in taxes and spends it somewhere else, they may have helped the other place but they hurt the place where I lived because I had $1000 less to spend here.  You only see the jobs the government advertised as creating.  What you don't see are the jobs that weren't created  or lost elsewhere because of the government's transfer of money to the other place.     

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2014, 10:48:20 am »

The rich and people like you and me re-invest principals and gains.  

principal is already invested, gains are and while I like to pay less I consider that if we need taxes for something then it's fair to tax my gains rather then what minimum wage worker is buying...

By the way, the non-rich have advantages of IRA's and retirement funds that can be saved and invested with no income tax being taken out until they cash out in retirement.  It's really the same premise I'm suggesting for all investments.  

dear, you play with words... there are non rich and then there are people on a minimum wage... yes, they do have the right to contribute to IRA... and you have the right to be elected the POTUS... now what is the probability of that happening  ;D ... they also can all be as rich as Buffet and Gates together... indeed  ;D

Finally, the government and taxes don't create jobs.  That's a myth.

I suggest you to google for the number of federal/state/municipal employees (including things like armed forces, etc).

That's because they don't create anything that isn't taken from someone else in the form of taxes.

right, but you still need somebody to do some of what they are doing... otherwise some prols come and kill you.

All the government does is spend money for one group of people or industry that were taken from people and business elsewhere.

and I consider it right to take those (whatever has to be taken - now we can discuss how to reduce excesses like funding Israel/Egypt, etc) money from wealth, not from consumption... unless there is some solution for poor to get that consumption tax back (again technicalities of implementing are costly).
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 01:45:12 pm by deejjjaaaa »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2014, 12:54:34 pm »

nobody is taxing your principal only your gains, etc... and where do you think taxes are spent - they also spent to create some jobs :-) ... plus taxing consumption hits poor disproportionally, because again - they spent 100% of what they get to consume, I do not... so I have nothing against non taxing goods or services that those folks are getting so that they can consume more (= that way also stimulating the businesses) or may be some of them can save something too ... you (as Bill) want to in fact increase the disparity further by increasing your non taxed wealth, that's understandable (about wealth)...

+1

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2014, 02:49:31 pm »

From the horse's mouth:

Federal Reserve Chair Janet Yellen on Friday said the growth of economic inequality in the United States was not in keeping with American values

Quotes relevant to a  couple of issues raised in this thread:

Yellen in her data-heavy speech went far down a prescriptive road, saying public spending can narrow gaps in education quality and help level the economic playing field.

"income and wealth inequality are near their highest levels in the past hundred years, much higher than the average during that time span and probably higher than for much of American history before then."

Which raises the question: was America less capitalist before? Or, in other words, was America more "socialist" in the past than today?

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2014, 04:24:29 pm »

Hi,

My take is that Kodak missed the train.

Kodak's motto was "You press the button, we do the rest", but with the digital revolution, there is very little and a very different rest.

Kodak made inroads in the new era, Photo CD was a great example, but Photo CD missed the fact that computers and the net was the new media.

One issue with Kodak was really that they made mediocrity a goal, PhotoCD for instance cropped images at will. Kodak could have made a major step forward, but they failed. Did they fail to see the future? Or did they try to shield their main market from the wave of change? I don't know! But they failed…

With Fuji, I think it is a bit different. I don't think Fuji survived on photography alone, diversification played a major role. I guess Fuji found the markets that were growing and successfully established itself in those markets.

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

shawnino

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2014, 04:35:41 pm »

The largest problem, at least in my country (Canada), is that government has gotten too large and is slowing down the economy because it needs too much tax revenue to feed itself.

Or, rather, "itselves". We have a federal system, which means we have a federal Dept. of the Environment. Well, that might be a good thing. Somebody ought to be looking after the environment. But each province also has a Dept. of the Environment. My City Council's most active committee is an Environment Committee, and they're forever flying themselves off to far-flung places to find out how other cities handle The Environment.

All three levels of government are really good at coming up with reams of regulations to follow. When they don't expropriate industries completely (airports) or partially (delivering packages), the various governments regulate things within an inch of insanity--sometimes beyond, if the regulations contradict each other.

My little city can't stop congratulating itself on our waste disposal system. We don't just throw everything in a hole, oh no! We recycle what we can. Organics, glass, cardboard/paper. The poor suckers who live here have to sort everything, at the risk of being fined for non-compliance, but are told they're helping The Environment. So far so good (minus the fines), except somebody passed a regulation that says any given truck can only pick up one kind of waste... so we went from one set of diesel-belching garbage trucks to well, four (waste, organics, glass, cardboard/paper)--lots of which show up back the facility half-empty. Oh and as it turns out the organics aren't sufficiently clean, so we're spending buckets of cash to get get the end product up to different provincial and national standards. Oh, and the glass isn't recycled here exactly, we need to truck it out in one of those diesel things, and... ah well. But the government "created" all those jobs for the drivers of the trucks, and the enforcement officials, and so on--or so we're told.

It's just one example. I've ranted about the health system (and lack of a parallel system) in another thread. I could go on. If the government did less, and especially if it regulated less, people and businesses could do much more.  

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2014, 04:45:31 pm »

Kodak could have made a major step forward, but they failed. Did they fail to see the future? Or did they try to shield their main market from the wave of change? I don't know! But they failed…

they failed to diversify - there were so many markets that still alive today - printers, scanners, medical imaging, software, sensors, etc, etc... even cameras... the fact that they did not survive except as a brand name surely says that management failed... even if their sensor business still lived for a little longer as a Truesense Imaging.. and was now grabbed by On Semi = http://www.onsemi.com/site/pdf/ON-Semiconductor-Corporate-History.pdf

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2014, 04:50:46 pm »

The largest problem, at least in my country (Canada), is that government has gotten too large and is slowing down the economy...

And yet, Canadian middle class is overtaking American middle class.

...If the government did less, and especially if it regulated less, people and businesses could do much more. 

If we'd let "people and businesses" regulate themselves, we would still have slavery, child labor, 16-hour workdays, etc.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2014, 04:57:01 pm »

Hi,

I don't think it is the whole truth, but there is something to it…

Best regards
Erik

If we'd let "people and businesses" regulate themselves, we would still have slavery, child labor, 16-hour workdays, etc.
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up