Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leica glass on A7r, A7, X-Pro-1 , XT-1  (Read 20366 times)

JV

Re: Leica glass on A7r, A7, X-Pro-1 , XT-1
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2014, 11:33:03 am »

Given that the experiences are so far apart it must be a combination of the model (a7/a7r/a7s), the camera settings and the camera functions used. 

I was going to order some additional Sony batteries but perhaps I should first further try to narrow the issue down and find the root cause.

allegretto

« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2014, 01:21:08 pm »

GPS systems can be tricky too.

I don't know about Sony, but I think on some cameras if it is selected, it's always on, or at least on whether or not you are using it

scooby70

« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2014, 03:30:35 pm »

I find the third party batteries are good enough and represent a significant saving over the Sony branded ones. I have one spare 3rd party battery and I rotate use between it and the Sony. They seem to last about the same or at least the 3rd party battery doesn't seem to be noticeably worse.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 03:36:35 pm by scooby70 »

scooby70

« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2014, 03:39:18 pm »

I see no evidence that the camera is draining the battery when off.

Maybe the drain, if there is one and I'm convinced that there is, isn't quite noticeable over one night but I'm pretty sure that if you leave the battery in the camera for a few days or more you'll see the level has dropped when you return to it, that's been my experience. My other CSC's don't seem to drain batteries so I just leave them in but I always take the Sony's out.

Telecaster

« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2014, 05:48:14 pm »

Maybe the drain, if there is one and I'm convinced that there is, isn't quite noticeable over one night but I'm pretty sure that if you leave the battery in the camera for a few days or more you'll see the level has dropped when you return to it, that's been my experience.

Yep, my experience too. Furthermore I've found that spare (Sony) batteries lose juice fairly quickly just sitting in the A7r's bag doing nothing. Last week I put a battery, one that hadn't seen use in almost a year, in another camera. It reported >90% charged. I've had A7r batteries drop into the low 80s within a month. In actual use it's not a problem, though…I just start off my pic-taking with one charged-up battery in the camera and a second in my pocket.

-Dave-

sharperstill

« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2014, 06:00:21 am »

he doesn't want an M9 JV, he wants MPxls....
Am I correct in thinking that this comment implies that I'm seeking the most megapixels (MPxls)?
If so, not true.
As I said I'm strongly considering the X-Pro 1 which is 16MP, and I'd probably opt for an A7 over the A7r (but likewise not particularly interested in the A7s.

Manoli

« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2014, 07:04:46 am »

I'm strongly considering the X-Pro 1 which is 16MP, and I'd probably opt for an A7 over the A7r ...

I'd strongly suggest that whichever way you decide to jump, do NOT sell any of your Leica lenses until you're 100% sure of which way you want to go.

The comments and the (in)compatibility of some Leica M glass on the Sony is well documented. Do a search on posts by Iluvmycam, on this site - he's written good first hand accounts of using Fuji compared to Leica in this post and others. Also this thread.  Another good source is Sean Reid - a subscription site but well worth the modest outlay if you're seriously considering anything close to rangefinder photography. He's also commented on the A7r.

Regarding RAW converters and the x-trans suggest you look at Iridient Developer and CaptureOne V8. Haven't done full testing on C1, but first impressions are that the results on the x-trans files (and the others) are exceptional. I was amazed at the difference. I think they've got a 60-day trial , so if you're not already using it, suggest you try both these converters before deciding.

As far as the Fuji goes, judging by the rebates they're offering on the existing cams, likelihood is that they're going to introduce new upgraded (24-?) mp models within the next 6 months. Why don't you either rent, borrow the discontinued X-E1, (or as a last resort 'buy' - it now costs about as much as a Fuji Leica M adapter), in the meantime. If you do go Fuji, factor in their adapter, it'll cost you double - but it's worth it for the in-cam adjustments and exif advantages it offers.

One minor point, you don't say what type of photography you're doing, landscape or people, nor your preferred style of working. But if the latter, Fuji has an excellent Auto-ISO implementation where you can set the minimum shutter speed as well as the min/max ISO values. On the Sony, you can do it, but it's a workaround.

Lest you think I'm biased, I'm not. I run both the A7r and the X-E's - they're complementary, each has it's strengths.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 08:16:17 am by Manoli »

allegretto

« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2014, 08:41:12 pm »

I'd strongly suggest that whichever way you decide to jump, do NOT sell any of your Leica lenses until you're 100% sure of which way you want to go.

this is Gospel...

Paul Roark

« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2014, 10:41:10 pm »

Regarding the battery losing charge when the camera is off, I left my Sony a7r for three days off and the battery charge dropped from 61 to 60%.  I then took the battery out and left it for 3 days.  When it was put back in, the charge was at 59%.  So, it looks like the battery is losing 1% every 3 days, whether it's in the camera or not.

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com

sharperstill

« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2015, 06:14:38 am »

So, eight months later & I still haven't purchased. I have moved to a new office/studio, sold & bought a house and moved. I have also, however, sold the R35 and taken a deposit on my last M6 body.
I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on a a Fujifilm X-E2 when the balance of money arrives.
I was heart set on a X-Pro 1 due to image quality & ergonomics. Then I realised the X-T1 & X-E2 have the updated sensor & processor & EVF.  It dawned on me that if I was converting M lenses I wouldn't be using the OVF, only the EVF.  With the same innards I think the ergonomics of the X-E2 win out of the dearer X-T1.
I've read some good reviews of the two M lenses I've kept being used on this system.

Petrus

« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2015, 12:34:40 pm »

The comments and the (in)compatibility of some Leica M glass on the Sony is well documented.

I have not tested Leica M glass on X-Pro1, but I did try the splendid Voigtlander 15mm lens on it. I was badly disappointed, it was clearly worse than Fujinon 18mm, even though the 15mm is a 135 lens and Fujinon just APS-C. Rangefinder lenses which sit close to the sensor just do not work with regular sensors like the one in Fujifilm X-Pro1. Normal meaning a flat sensel arrangement, which does not like light rays hitting the corners at low angles.

Telecaster

« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2015, 04:46:00 pm »

Rangefinder lenses which sit close to the sensor just do not work with regular sensors like the one in Fujifilm X-Pro1. Normal meaning a flat sensel arrangement, which does not like light rays hitting the corners at low angles.

Yes. There's also the sensor filter stack issue. Thicker stacks don't play well with lenses having exit pupils that sit too close to the stack. This means most wider rangefinder lenses. My Voigt 15mm, for example, performs as you describe even on m43 cameras (small sensor, thick stack) but is a pleasure to use on a Leica M8.2 (larger sensor, thin stack).

-Dave-

sharperstill

« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2015, 06:45:56 pm »

Thanks Petrus & Telecaster,
The two Leica lenses I've retained are the 35 F2 asph M and an older version of the M 50 1.4
Both of which should perform well enough for the camera's intended purpose.
I'd expect to buy the native 23 1.4 when I sell my Rolleiflex.

J
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up