Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pentax 645z and Capture One: Please help  (Read 5718 times)

Plateau Light

• Robert Park Fine Art Photographer
Re: Pentax 645z and Capture One: Please help
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2014, 10:30:10 am »

not cripples - just not supports it (and that is propely noted by P1, that for Pentax dSLRs/dSLMs only PEF is supported, so that customers know in advance)...  
C1 opens it but it is all screwed up with noise and artifacts. I would wager that they cripple it on purpose.

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2014, 10:40:33 am »

C1 opens it but it is all screwed up with noise and artifacts. I would wager that they cripple it on purpose.
I tried to convert PEF from 645z to DNG using Adobe DNG converter, C1 v8 opens that non original DNG with normal colors (no strange noise or artefacts that I can see) using relevant some generic "DNG profile" for Ricoh/Pentax...  now w/ native DNG from camera your mileage might be different, I didn't try it.

Pentax645

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2014, 02:26:19 pm »

C1 support the Pef from Pentax K3 but you can also open the DNG from the same camera!!

bcooter

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2014, 02:51:21 pm »

I 'd assume Ricoh/Pentax 645* in Japan are more presented among enthusiasts, so to extrapolate what you see among your kind of folks over to them is not entirely correct.

Your right I know very little of the advanced amateur and personal artist world.

We did use some gardens for locations in and around Tokyo and Osaka and I was fascinated to see middle age and up photographers with mostly older mamiya 645 film cameras and a few Bronicas, Pentax (all 645) and all shooting film, though shooting film at the rate of about 3 frames every two hours.

I bet their work was pretty because they spent a lot of time on it and they seemed to have laser like concentration on what they were doing.

Fascinating.

The one difference I noticed with Japanese clients (well there are a lot of differences) but the one that always surprised me was that they wanted everything delivered on physical media.    For nearly a decade we've done this online and through ftp so burning discs, cds, making guide prints was a step back in time.

C-1 also screws up Leica dngs, though I kind of expected that.  

I guess I try to think how I'd feel.  I wouldn't offer my facilities and equipment to a photographer that was competing with me, especially at half price.

Even if I wasn't up for the gig, why help to lower the bar and spending a lifetime of investing?

C-1 is the best tethering software and does a great job of processing.  I'm sure there fine selling it to 35mm camera owners, because those owners become familiar with c-1 and when/if they step up to larger formats, they have familiarity with the software.   Though they draw the line on any larger format competitors.

I can understand that rational.

But if your really concerned about image quality and look, try Iridient Developer.    It's not the most modern interface, though it's also not that complicated and you can really fine tune a custom setting for your files.

They also update for free newer cameras and formats quickly.

So there is options.

IMO

BC
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 03:23:10 pm by bcooter »

Pentax645

Michael Reichmann
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2014, 05:47:22 pm »

I remember Michael Reichmann praising Phase One CEO for having a open platform for their camera system
I wonder what he would think about all that if he would know (he also own a Pentax 645z :D)

P

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Re: Michael Reichmann
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2014, 06:28:09 pm »

Anyway, turkeys may not vote for Xmas, but Xmas will come eventually.

I'm sure the Pentax is doing wonders for Phase sales.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2014, 07:30:44 pm »

Pentax couldn't do wonders for even their own sales, which is why they are now proudly a Rikoh company.
I like how people on this forum make proud sales predictions without even seeing a balance sheet.

my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

Pentax645

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2014, 07:47:14 pm »

AFAIK not Phocus software from Hasselblad, but Apple's software (OS supports access to raw files, Phocus does postprocessing part) and can a pro trust Apple after what they did with Aperture  ;D ?

so you mean that  ....C1 is actually working hard not to support DNG from 645z...?

Plateau Light

• Robert Park Fine Art Photographer
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2014, 08:10:03 pm »

I tried to convert PEF from 645z to DNG using Adobe DNG converter, C1 v8 opens that non original DNG with normal colors (no strange noise or artefacts that I can see) using relevant some generic "DNG profile" for Ricoh/Pentax...  now w/ native DNG from camera your mileage might be different, I didn't try it.
It was the native DNG format that had the issues. Camera Raw looked awesome straight in.
You have to wonder

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2014, 08:31:32 pm »

Pentax couldn't do wonders for even their own sales, which is why they are now proudly a Rikoh company.
I like how people on this forum make proud sales predictions without even seeing a balance sheet.

You know full well that the acquisition of Pentax assets by Ricoh and the sales numbers of the 645Z bear very little relationship, if any, right?

Phaseone has been acquired as well, Leaf before that, what does that tell us about the sales figures of those backs? Well... nothing.

Cheers,
Bernard

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2014, 08:56:26 pm »

For such a short thread this one is loaded with a truck load of non-supportable assumptions and presumptions.

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2014, 09:20:01 pm »

Do Canon users expect Capture NX2 (Which is a paid software) to support CR2 files? Or Nikon users, NEF support in DPP?
Phase is doing the same thing as Apple. Using Software as a means to get people to commit to their hardware platform.

And Bernard, Phase; acquisition or not, has seen profits rise for many years. When was the last time a Pentax balance sheet was not in red? Their camera sales isn't even reported under Ricoh's reports anymore.

But this is all off topic and I am not getting into another one of THOSE discussions again.

my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

Pentax645

« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2014, 09:55:23 am »

Do Canon users expect Capture NX2 (Which is a paid software) to support CR2 files? Or Nikon users, NEF support in DPP?
Phase is doing the same thing as Apple. Using Software as a means to get people to commit to their hardware platform.

I am sorry but thats in incorrect:
Dpp and Capture NX are meant for their own camera  brand
C1 supports all advance camera out there and it supports support Adobe DNG
you pay 300$ for that and today C1 is in direct competition with Lightroom!

Filtering off the Pentax 645 DNG is not a matter of supporting or not a certain model....

Paul

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2014, 10:18:30 am »

I think one can find a better windmill to tilt at.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2014, 11:15:24 am »

so you mean that  ....C1 is actually working hard not to support DNG from 645z...?

they simply do not support this camera, that's it, it is their business decision...

there are workarounds, did you ever try them ? keep original raw files (.PEF or .DNG) archived, convert them (using Adobe DNG converter) to DNG for workflow purposes, create (or find) your own camera profiles to be used... if the workarounds too hard for you then vote w/ your $$$ - do not buy C1...

Pentax645

« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2014, 12:06:40 pm »

they simply do not support this camera, that's it, it is their business decision...

there are workarounds, did you ever try them ? keep original raw files (.PEF or .DNG) archived, convert them (using Adobe DNG converter) to DNG for workflow purposes, create (or find) your own camera profiles to be used... if the workarounds too hard for you then vote w/ your $$$ - do not buy C1...

Sai you mean that after spending 4 years working with C1 and investing in 3 upgrades... i should accept such an unprofessional attitude?
I am sorry this is not fair
If they want to compete vs Adobe Lightroom they have to behave professionally

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2014, 12:24:25 pm »

Sai you mean that after spending 4 years working with C1 and investing in 3 upgrades... i should accept such an unprofessional attitude?

you spent 4 years working with C1 and as a professional being fully aware that P1 does not support Pentax 645* dSLR cameras in C1 = yet you decide to buy Pentax 645z with that knowledge... it is/was your call, P1 did not make any changes on their side, did not make any false promises...

Pentax645

« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2014, 12:34:32 pm »

you spent 4 years working with C1 and as a professional being fully aware that P1 does not support Pentax 645* dSLR cameras in C1 = yet you decide to buy Pentax 645z with that knowledge... it is/was your call, P1 did not make any changes on their side, did not make any false promises...

CO 7 could read 645D DNG from the camera.... no problem, so why should be different with 645z ?
You don't get my point... its not about supporting it..its about filtering off the the camera DNG!!
I am sorry this is Unacceptable

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2014, 04:12:41 pm »

CO 7 could read 645D DNG from the camera.... no problem, so why should be different with 645z ?

use Adobe DNG converter and you will be in the same situation as with CO7

etto1972

Re: Michael Reichmann
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2014, 07:45:00 am »

I remember Michael Reichmann praising Phase One CEO for having a open platform for their camera system
I wonder what he would think about all that if he would know (he also own a Pentax 645z :D)

P

I wrote to him urging his support and I know he wrote to PO

Hope for the best
E
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up