Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Pentax 645z and Capture One: Please help  (Read 5715 times)

Pentax645

Pentax 645z and Capture One: Please help
« on: October 06, 2014, 07:48:04 pm »

Came across this thread
http://forum.phaseone.com/En/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=17017&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&sid=6e23669937669296e189f160a646e27d

and discovered that C1 won't support the 645 because it ls in competition with the Phase One DB

Please if you love the Pentax 645z send a request support to
contactformular@phaseone.com

Thanks
Paul
[MODERATOR's NOTE: This post has been modified to 'correct' a corporate email address]
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 10:23:15 am by Chris Sanderson »

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Re: Pentax 645z and Capture One: Please help
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 08:29:35 pm »

C1 is a superb program, and Phase One's unique tech advantage over Pentax.

You can't really ask a turkey to welcome Christmas.

Edmund

Came across this thread
http://forum.phaseone.com/En/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=17017&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&sid=6e23669937669296e189f160a646e27d

and discovered that C1 won't support the 645 because it ls in competition with the Phase One DB

Please if you love the Pentax 645z send a request support to
contactformular@phaseone.com

Thanks
Paul
[MODERATOR's NOTE: This post has been modified to 'correct' a corporate email address]
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 10:24:10 am by Chris Sanderson »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 08:49:49 pm »

C1 is a superb program, and Phase One's unique tech advantage over Pentax.

You can't really ask a turkey to welcome Christmas.

On the other hand a D810/a7r is also de facto competition, yet C1 Pro supports these cameras and do so with splendid colors.

It would in fact make sense for Phaseone to support the 645Z IMHO.

Every 100+ license sold generates about as much revenue as one Phaseone back. Assuming that there will be a few tens of thousands of 645Z produced, and assuming that C1 Pro would likely be the chosen raw converter for many of those, it could generate cash corresponding to the sales of a few hundreds of backs.

Since the customers of phase one and Pentax probably have little overlap, this is mostly pure added revenue with very little downside.

Cheers,
Bernard

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 09:00:50 pm »

On the other hand a D810/a7r is also de facto competition, yet C1 Pro supports these cameras and do so with splendid colors.

If you keep saying this, it's not gonna come true, Bernard. $400 Acer laptops are not competition to a Macbook Pro, even if they both have the same components.

There is no obligation for P1 to support anyone other than their own house brands, yet they support a ton of third parties with a software development team that probably is 1/10th the size of what Adobe has (And yet deliver better RAW processing that Lightroom has ever done for me). They are well within their rights to choose not to support other MF manufacturers.

For me, one of the key reasons I chose Leaf over Hasselblad was because I wanted to work in C1P and not Phocus. That's a smart business move by P1 in my books as if there was support for Hasselblad in C1P, I wouldn't have thought twice before giving my money to the swedes.

p.s. Anyway, there are several other alternatives to LR and C1P that deliver good results. I remember DxO being rather good. Photo Ninja seemed good too, but the user experience is rather underwhelming. Raw Therapee has the worst user experience of them all, but the file quality was top notch. All these are valid options for customers whoa re not supported by P1 and do not want to work with LR.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 09:03:01 pm by synn »
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 09:26:08 pm »

Synn,

Your ability to completely miss the point of a 3 sentences long post is pretty unique. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 09:28:09 pm »

Synn,

Your ability to completely miss the point of a 3 sentences long post is pretty unique. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

I got your point just fine. It just doesn't make sense to an actual company doing business.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 09:28:28 pm »

There is no obligation for P1 to support anyone other than their own house brands, yet they support a ton of third parties with a software development team that probably is 1/10th the size of what Adobe has
Adobe makes a lot more software products...

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 09:30:03 pm »

Assuming that there will be a few tens of thousands of 645Z produced, and assuming that C1 Pro would likely be the chosen raw converter for many of those, it could generate cash corresponding to the sales of a few hundreds of backs.

so do a lot of Japanese photographers use C1 or they tend to use homemade SilkyPix  ;) ?

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 09:38:08 pm »

so do a lot of Japanese photographers use C1 or they tend to use homemade SilkyPix  ;) ?

C1 Pro seems to be pretty popular in Japan among higher end shooters.

I don't see anything in Silkypix that would make it more appealing in Japan than in the rest of the world.

Cheers,
Bernard

gullevek

• http://flickr.com/photos/gullevek/
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2014, 12:54:36 am »

Interesting to hear that C1 seems to be popular within high end shooters. From all people I know, all of them use Lightroom/Photoshop.

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2014, 01:10:36 am »

I don't see anything in Silkypix that would make it more appealing in Japan than in the rest of the world.
ISL is a Japanese company... so may be

Plateau Light

• Robert Park Fine Art Photographer
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2014, 01:13:03 am »

What really pisses me off is that capture one somehow cripples The 645z DNG file which is an "open format". It's despicable.

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2014, 03:23:45 am »

What really pisses me off is that capture one somehow cripples The 645z DNG file which is an "open format". It's despicable.
not cripples - just not supports it (and that is propely noted by P1, that for Pentax dSLRs/dSLMs only PEF is supported, so that customers know in advance)...  

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2014, 03:29:25 am »

Interesting to hear that C1 seems to be popular within high end shooters. From all people I know, all of them use Lightroom/Photoshop.

In Japan?

Cheers,
Bernard

bcooter

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2014, 07:27:45 am »

In Japan?

Cheers,
Bernard

Everywhere I've worked including the Harakuju studios in Tokyo, I'd say lightroom is 3/4 of the photographers and image production, photoshop 100% for retouching, 100% for photographers.

Same with Paris, London, Spain, Italy, Hong Kong . . . (it's a long list).

There is some cross over to c-1 for certain cameras, but everyone I've met knows lightroom and photoshop.

In fact if you work with a retoucher, at the higher professional level, you'll find that 99% of the raw processing they do is in photoshop.  Few have C-1, few use it if they do have it and fewer still upgrade their computers, software at every turn.  It's expensive to move 20 seats up level at every change.

In the early stages of digital capture, expensive companies came out of the woodwork with very costly systems, running fiber optics, raid servers, dedicated IT guys.  Most of those companies are gone or have pulled back and today it's a much different process.

Photographers can squeeze the last 15% out of an image with all the trick processing they know, but a retoucher is gonna put it in camera raw, or accept a tiff and go to work.

IMO

BC

« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 07:39:33 am by bcooter »

Pentax645

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2014, 08:36:31 am »

If you keep saying this, it's not gonna come true, Bernard. $400 Acer laptops are not competition to a Macbook Pro, even if they both have the same components.

There is no obligation for P1 to support anyone other than their own house brands, yet they support a ton of third parties with a software development team that probably is 1/10th the size of what Adobe has (And yet deliver better RAW processing that Lightroom has ever done for me). They are well within their rights to choose not to support other MF manufacturers.

For me, one of the key reasons I chose Leaf over Hasselblad was because I wanted to work in C1P and not Phocus. That's a smart business move by P1 in my books as if there was support for Hasselblad in C1P, I wouldn't have thought twice before giving my money to the swedes.

p.s. Anyway, there are several other alternatives to LR and C1P that deliver good results. I remember DxO being rather good. Photo Ninja seemed good too, but the user experience is rather underwhelming. Raw Therapee has the worst user experience of them all, but the file quality was top notch. All these are valid options for customers whoa re not supported by P1 and do not want to work with LR.

If you allow me...

Phocus is a free software while C1 pro goes for 300$ and it aims to a wide range of pro photographers cameras and not only Phase One DB

Today Capture One is probably one of the very best (or actually the best) pro raw converter in the market, with the ambition to compete against product such as Lightroom but this all story rise an important question:
"is it wise to commit to a pro software that won't support a camera just because of strategic marketing reason??"

Paul

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2014, 08:55:34 am »

Everywhere I've worked including the Harakuju studios in Tokyo, I'd say lightroom is 3/4 of the photographers and image production, photoshop 100% for retouching, 100% for photographers.

Same with Paris, London, Spain, Italy, Hong Kong . . . (it's a long list).

There is some cross over to c-1 for certain cameras, but everyone I've met knows lightroom and photoshop.

OK, thanks for the feedback. I stand corrected.

Cheers,
Bernard

Pentax645

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2014, 09:06:17 am »

and by the way.... Phocus supports the DNG files from the Pentax 645z....

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2014, 09:20:34 am »

and by the way.... Phocus supports the DNG files from the Pentax 645z....

AFAIK not Phocus software from Hasselblad, but Apple's software (OS supports access to raw files, Phocus does postprocessing part) and can a pro trust Apple after what they did with Aperture  ;D ?

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2014, 09:27:33 am »

I 'd assume Ricoh/Pentax 645* in Japan are more presented among enthusiasts, so to extrapolate what you see among your kind of folks over to them is not entirely correct.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up