Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture One 8 review  (Read 15132 times)

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
Re: Capture One 8 review
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2014, 12:18:40 pm »

I do not mind having "sidecar" files.
The problem with that is how many different side car files do you end up with ? One for each converter ? Or can one .xmp contain multiple different settings for each raw converter ?

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2014, 12:42:40 pm »

The problem with that is how many different side car files do you end up with ?

there is no problem really.

I do not really care how many as I do not really move the OS files one by one "by hand" within the tools that I use to manage those (and I do not want neither C1 nor LR to be involved into anything other than being a raw converter)... so my sidecars or subfolders (from all converters) are safe and sound just as your C1/LR databases/catalogs.

One for each converter ? Or can one .xmp contain multiple different settings for each raw converter ?

I am yet to encounter a conflict and I do use many raw converters at once for a same set of photos from one event...

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2014, 06:00:39 am »

In short, the benefit of a catalog and or session is..

1.  Organisation  (i.e only the best assets are in the catalog / session in the 1st place)
2.  Fast search and filtering.  The Database is searched not raw file parameters so results are returned instantly.
3.  Virtual organisation in the form of Albums, Projects etc, where RAW files can reside in more than one location without the need for duplication
4.  Variants / Versions of the same file without the need for duplication
5.  Speed

That being said, Capture One will work just fine as a file browser too.
David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2014, 09:11:07 am »

David, you don't get the point - I am not browsing files in C1 at all - I am using some external program (which for me does the way better job for that purpose) and I just want to be able to start C1 with a raw file name as a parameter w/o a hassle to deal w/ sessions or catalogs, that's it...

why don't you (P1) just enable a mode (as an option - nobody takes anything away from catalogs/session loving folks) when C1 will create, whatever it wants to create, behind the scenes... it already can create a "CaptureOne" subfolder with cache, etc automatically - great, give us an option (again - just an option, nobody is taking anything away from those who needs sessions or catalogs) to automatically create some default session inside that folder w/o any UI dialogs bothering us when C1 is invoked that way and spare people who wants to use C1 just as a converter, not as a DAM, not as a browser, not as something else - but just as a raw converter, from unnecessary irritations...

take Adobe for example - LR is a big market, however there is a significant amount of people who do not use LR, but use ACR only... and Adobe caters to that populace as well... nobody is against P1s giving C1 "LR" features to compete against LR, but why at the same time you try to inflict a pain those who still wants to use C1 as "ACR" beats me...unless you intentionally trying to create your own captive user market vs LR (once people invest a great deal of time using your software as a DAM, etc they might be less likely to jump a ship no matter what migration options are offered by competition)... but then again you forget that there are "ACR" folks around - we are not going to use C1 as a DAM, so instead of capturing us you irritate us.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 09:21:57 am by deejjjaaaa »

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2014, 09:21:09 am »

In short, the benefit of a catalog and or session is..

1.  Organisation  (i.e only the best assets are in the catalog / session in the 1st place)
2.  Fast search and filtering.  The Database is searched not raw file parameters so results are returned instantly.
3.  Virtual organisation in the form of Albums, Projects etc, where RAW files can reside in more than one location without the need for duplication

thank you, done outside of C1

4.  Variants / Versions of the same file without the need for duplication

sidecar file approach is perfectly capable to store variants and versions

5.  Speed

you can have your cache w/o sessions or catalogs

• Capture One
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2014, 02:44:50 pm »

David, you don't get the point - I am not browsing files in C1 at all - I am using some external program (which for me does the way better job for that purpose) and I just want to be able to start C1 with a raw file name as a parameter w/o a hassle to deal w/ sessions or catalogs, that's it...

why don't you (P1) just enable a mode (as an option - nobody takes anything away from catalogs/session loving folks) when C1 will create, whatever it wants to create, behind the scenes... it already can create a "CaptureOne" subfolder with cache, etc automatically - great, give us an option (again - just an option, nobody is taking anything away from those who needs sessions or catalogs) to automatically create some default session inside that folder w/o any UI dialogs bothering us when C1 is invoked that way and spare people who wants to use C1 just as a converter, not as a DAM, not as a browser, not as something else - but just as a raw converter, from unnecessary irritations...

take Adobe for example - LR is a big market, however there is a significant amount of people who do not use LR, but use ACR only... and Adobe caters to that populace as well... nobody is against P1s giving C1 "LR" features to compete against LR, but why at the same time you try to inflict a pain those who still wants to use C1 as "ACR" beats me...unless you intentionally trying to create your own captive user market vs LR (once people invest a great deal of time using your software as a DAM, etc they might be less likely to jump a ship no matter what migration options are offered by competition)... but then again you forget that there are "ACR" folks around - we are not going to use C1 as a DAM, so instead of capturing us you irritate us.

Right click the RAW file and say "Open With Capture One"?

David Grover

Rhossydd

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2014, 03:31:00 pm »

No option for that here. W7

Rhossydd

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2014, 03:34:03 pm »

Can you explain how that works on files you haven't imported ?

• Capture One
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2014, 03:40:49 pm »

Can you explain how that works on files you haven't imported ?

Make a Session.  Call it Default Session if you like.  That will be the one and only session you ever make.

Go to the System folders section in the Library tool and browse anywhere you like.

David Grover

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2014, 04:21:41 pm »

and what, David, do you expect me to see ? the C1 UI dialog requesting me to select some existing session/catalog or create a new one ? why shall I be bothered with it ? ... that is the whole point - an option not be bothered w/ the sessions or catalogs, which was possible before, but then some genious in P1 decided that they know better... I use the name of some raw file as a parameter and I expect to have this file opened in C1 right away w/o even thinking about any sessions or catalogs (if I do select such an option in C1 settings - people who like sessions or catalogs are not in any way hurt by introducing such an option)

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2014, 04:22:16 pm »

No option for that here. W7

indeed W7, x64 and I do not think it is any different on OSX either...

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2014, 04:26:00 pm »

Make a Session.  Call it Default Session if you like.  That will be the one and only session you ever make.

Go to the System folders section in the Library tool and browse anywhere you like.

no, no... for that I need to start C1 instance first with this "default" session, then when C1 is running I can indeed start C1 with a file name as a parameter w/o any dialogs bothering me (note that C1 is not the only raw converter used, so I do not keep it open all the time - I use whatever converter I deem suitable for a particular image... do  not assume that somebody is working only with/within C1) - that is what I do now... it bothers me, a user... P1 can simply provide an option in settings for some users to automatically use/create a default session in "CaptureOne" subfolder where the raw is located, that's it.. done, everybody happy...

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2014, 04:33:09 pm »

or just allow C1 executable to be started with 2 command line parameters - a session and a raw file... that will also address the issue completely (will be passing always the same precreated dummy session)

• Capture One
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2014, 03:52:03 am »

indeed W7, x64 and I do not think it is any different on OSX either...

See image.

This opens directly into capture one without requiring me to choose a session etc.

David Grover

esl1885

« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2014, 10:46:27 am »

That does not work for me. I get a box asking me to choose an existing catalog or start a new one. Does not open directly into C8. And, if I don't choose one of the two, it will not let me cancel. I have to go into task manager and cancel it.

Sam

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2014, 11:48:23 am »

See image.

This opens directly into capture one without requiring me to choose a session etc.

it does not (unless you already have C1 instance running with some session in it)... do a simple experiment... make sure to close all C1 instances on your PC/Win and in Windows command line prompt ("DOS" command line) start C1 executable (.exe) with some raw file as a parameter... again the best way to keep everybody happy is to allow C1 executable to take 2 parameters in command line - both a session (we can once create it and forget it) and a raw file... now it allows you to start it with either one (you can start it with a session or your can start it with a raw file - then it will ask for a session/catalog for example), but not both... a relatively minor addition to the code and some happy users... the existing code already does analysis as to what is passed to the executable, because it does the right actions separately for a session and for a raw file (except it asks for a session when there is no C1 instance running - but allowing to indicate a session will eliminate the necessity for a dialog or to start the instance with the session first)...  the point is when you work wit many converters and not with C1 alone, you quit C1 all the time and then it pains to start an instance for a session, wait some seconds and start it again with a raw file... combine the 2 actions in one with 2 parameters possibnle and it is done.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 11:55:32 am by deejjjaaaa »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up