Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture One 8 review  (Read 15116 times)

Alexander Svet

• AlexOnRAW.com
Capture One 8 review
« on: September 29, 2014, 01:06:29 pm »

Hello all, I've done my Capture One 8 review http://captureoneblog.com/capture-one-8-review/
There’s no doubt about it, 8 version release promises to be the greatest update in the history of Capture One, with a new processing engine, improved HDR, new catalog features, retouch tools, new layer abilities and film grain imitation. Capture One has now become faster, more powerful and much more stable.
Capture One 7 was a really good RAW converter, but with the release of version 8 it has now become brilliant.
Share your opinion!
AlexOnRAW - All about Capture One

makaphoto

Re: Capture One 8 review
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 01:55:04 pm »

Thank you Alexander.
A nice wrap up of the new features.
Martin

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 04:03:38 pm »

and much more stable.
How bad was it before ?
It's a good round up of the features and some of them work extremely well, but stability ?? not here.
I've only been trying to use 8 for a few days (having registered an upgrade to get some of the new features Lightroom lacks) and it's been freezing regularly and the catalogue databases keep getting corrupted and failing. W7 Pro 64

Maybe x.0 issues that will get resolved in a future bug fix update, but a real tease at the moment.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 02:05:02 am by Rhossydd »

gdh

• https://www.facebook.com/Gallery833-Fine-Art-in-Redding-160225810674500/
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 07:56:14 pm »

Good article--very helpful.  One question however--could you clarify your statement under "Tethered Functionality"
Live View mode now support capture ability.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 01:52:50 am »

Thanks, interesting.

There are many capabilities of C1 Pro 8 that I don't know well enough yet, your document will be a good base to dive into those.

Cheers,
Bernard

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 03:51:44 am »

Good article--very helpful.  One question however--could you clarify your statement under "Tethered Functionality"

Hi Dennis,

Meaning you can trigger capture whilst in Live View mode.

David

David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

• Capture One
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 03:52:04 am »

How bad was it before ?
It's a good round up of the features and some of them work extremely well, but stability ?? not here.
I've only been trying to use 8 for a few days (having registered an upgrade to get some of the new features Lightroom lacks) and it's been freezing regularly and the catalogue databases keep getting corrupted and failing. W7 Pro 64

Maybe x.0 issues that will get resolved in a future bug fix update, but a real tease at the moment.

Have you made a support case?
David Grover

Alexander Svet

• AlexOnRAW.com
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 04:31:46 am »

Now you can capture images with Live View mode turned on. But unfortunately only by "Capture" button in C1, camera shutter button doesn't work (with my Nikon D800).

Yes, there are some bugs, but on the whole C1 8 is much stable than C1 7. And of course 8.x.x updates are really needed.

jeremyrh

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 05:00:43 pm »

Well, congratulations on getting C1 to work so you can review it. My copy just sits and bounces in the dock until I can be bothered to Force Quit it. Life is too short to debug other peoples' software !!

Rhossydd

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 05:41:19 pm »

Have you made a support case?
I've filled in the "It doesn't work" report dialogue that's popped up sometimes, but life's too short to waste too much time writing up the faults with it. I'm not sure I want to invest huge amounts of time and energy into trying to make it work perfectly for me as from what I've seen so far it's still not good enough to replace Lightroom for my work. I'll just resort to it when it's tool set has something to offer that LR can't yet match.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2014, 06:18:33 pm »

I tried C1-8 for a bit but found the sharpness filter not on the level of ACR... really ugly in a way
Is that me or is it the program...?
The same problem i have with Nikons NXD- i am using a d810..
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

gdh

• https://www.facebook.com/Gallery833-Fine-Art-in-Redding-160225810674500/
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2014, 07:10:32 pm »

I've filled in the "It doesn't work" report dialogue that's popped up sometimes, but life's too short to waste too much time writing up the faults with it. I'm not sure I want to invest huge amounts of time and energy into trying to make it work perfectly for me as from what I've seen so far it's still not good enough to replace Lightroom for my work. I'll just resort to it when it's tool set has something to offer that LR can't yet match.

Well, you sound quite important, but a wee bit negative

• Capture One
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2014, 06:31:10 am »

In the time it has taken you to make these forum posts, you could have contacted support and very likely had a resolution.

We aim to respond to cases within 24 hours and normally better that by a long way.

You can contact support here..

http://www.phaseone.com/en/SupportMain/ContactSupport.aspx

David

David Grover

Rhossydd

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2014, 06:47:54 am »

In the time it has taken you to make these forum posts, you could have contacted support and very likely had a resolution.
We aim to respond to cases within 24 hours and normally better that by a long way.
Glib comments like this make you loose a lot of credibility.

Detailing all the conditions and actions I made, even if I could accurately remember them all, before CO crashed or trashed it's database(s) would take considerably more time than the couple of minutes I've spent contributing here.

It's just not important enough to waste more time on.

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2014, 09:53:13 am »

I'll just resort to it when it's tool set has something to offer that LR can't yet match.

I dropped C1 once I lost the ability to launch it to work with a single raw from an external image browser w/o all the hassles introduced in v7 associated with catalogs/sessions, but at least Sony color transform profiles in v8 seems to better (subjectively) vs what Adobe ships (no matter how I modify them), so I make a return... for Sony cameras... I still wish P1 to enable the option to work with a single raw like normal DAM-less converters do.

Alexander Svet

• AlexOnRAW.com
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2014, 10:04:27 am »

I dropped C1 once I lost the ability to launch it to work with a single raw from an external image browser w/o all the hassles introduced in v7 associated with catalogs/sessions, but at least Sony color transform profiles in v8 seems to better (subjectively) vs what Adobe ships (no matter how I modify them), so I make a return... for Sony cameras... I still wish P1 to enable the option to work with a single raw like normal DAM-less converters do.

You can create a single session once and then use it all the time for any images without even importing them. Just use the build-in (for sessions) file manager to open a folder with the images on your HDD.

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2014, 10:10:59 am »

You can create a single session once and then use it

I know and I did ( http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=93485.msg763088#msg763088 ), but thx... it was still a user unfriendly move by P1 as if they think that people who are dead set on not using C1 for any DAM are somehow going to... we are not, so make us happy and give us an option to work as we like (= create whatever sessions behind the scenes automatically and keep that from bothering us)

• Capture One
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2014, 10:15:49 am »

Glib comments like this make you loose a lot of credibility.

Detailing all the conditions and actions I made, even if I could accurately remember them all, before CO crashed or trashed it's database(s) would take considerably more time than the couple of minutes I've spent contributing here.

It's just not important enough to waste more time on.

I don't believe I was being Glib at all.

Normally a crash report is enough and support will assist you to do so, even offer to screen share with you if need be.

We have a great support department so please use them!  Thats all I am saying.

David

David Grover

Rhossydd

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2014, 11:18:59 am »

I dropped C1 once I lost the ability to launch it to work with a single raw from an external image browser
I see the smartest way to work is to create a catalogue to import images into you want to work on, even if you only want to work on a few images at a time. The import process in C8 is very fast, so it's hardly any slower than loading a single file.
Then you can return to them and re-work/export them whenever you like in the future. Using parametric editing like this is surely one of the great advances in digital photography workflow, rather than being stuck with having to work at individual images.

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2014, 11:57:47 am »

I see the smartest way to work is to create a catalogue to import images into you want to work on, even if you only want to work on a few images at a time. The import process in C8 is very fast, so it's hardly any slower than loading a single file.

nope, the smartest /for "us"/ way is the way like ACR works - you do not bother with "creating a catalogue", you designated once what do you want about sidecars, etc and forget it.

Then you can return to them and re-work/export them whenever you like in the future.

somehow I can perfectly do this with ACR, with SilkyPix, with RPP, with Iridient, with whatever... and all that w/o "catalogs" or "sessions"... and no - I do not mind having "sidecar" files.

Using parametric editing like this is surely one of the great advances in digital photography workflow, rather than being stuck with having to work at individual images.

dear, every raw converter is parametric... every single one (even for example the old versions of ACR that were modifying some raw files / the content, of DNG, like destroying the embedded thumbnail written by camera's firmware / w/o warning), you will be hard pressed to name one that is not /I dare you/
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up