Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Why I chose drawing in the dirt with a stick over making bubbles with my spit...  (Read 8709 times)

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net

Having spent hours comparing both activities through practical tests, I can, without hesitation, state that images drawn in the dirt have far greater resolution and dynamic range than any work that can be created with spit bubbles.  The dirt has much greater depth, that, regardless of any DxO marks, is clearly visible to the trained eye.  On the surface, dirt is typically more dry and imbued with a light brown character.  By drawing with a stick of appreciable tensile strength, once can reach lower layers of the dirt which have greater moisture... which provides darker tones, allowing much more contrast and tonal range than can be achieved with spit bubbles.

Additionally, if one is most selective about the location of the dirt, a very fine grain of soil can be found.  Of course, with proper technique, spit bubbles can be made of very fine size, but they will never surpass the resolution of the finest dirt.

Now, spit bubbles do arguably allow for a more efficient workflow and the artist can often create much more work in a day.  So, in the end I suppose it all comes down to personal preference and the needs of the client.

I urge you to pursue your own real world tests before subscribing to internet dribble and possibly making any foregone conclusions.

IMHO,
CB

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction

You must be using a medium format stick.

;D

Manoli

I can, without hesitation, state that images drawn in the dirt have far greater resolution and dynamic range than any work that can be created with spit bubbles. 

This is undoubtedly true but nevertheless spit bubbles do retain greater colour depth and reproduce admirably on cotton based papers even though they're subject to yellow fading if not adequately shielded from UV exposure.

Kumar

• http://www.bskumarphotography.com

And, of course, dirt has fatter pixels :)

Kumar

JoeKitchen

Having spent hours comparing both activities through practical tests, I can, without hesitation, state that images drawn in the dirt have far greater resolution and dynamic range than any work that can be created with spit bubbles.  The dirt has much greater depth, that, regardless of any DxO marks, is clearly visible to the trained eye.  On the surface, dirt is typically more dry and imbued with a light brown character.  By drawing with a stick of appreciable tensile strength, once can reach lower layers of the dirt which have greater moisture... which provides darker tones, allowing much more contrast and tonal range than can be achieved with spit bubbles.

Additionally, if one is most selective about the location of the dirt, a very fine grain of soil can be found.  Of course, with proper technique, spit bubbles can be made of very fine size, but they will never surpass the resolution of the finest dirt.

Now, spit bubbles do arguably allow for a more efficient workflow and the artist can often create much more work in a day.  So, in the end I suppose it all comes down to personal preference and the needs of the client.

I urge you to pursue your own real world tests before subscribing to internet dribble and possibly making any foregone conclusions.

IMHO,
CB

This is totally true, but lets forget the fact that an artist, with dirt, is limited to the color of the dirt which he finds and is in his assessable area.  The color of spit can be altered, depending on the choose of which lollipop flavor the artist had a urge for that day. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Chris Livsey

This is totally true, but lets forget the fact that an artist, with dirt, is limited to the color of the dirt which he finds and is in his assessable area.  The color of spit can be altered, depending on the choose of which lollipop flavor the artist had a urge for that day. 

In summary then: dirt is fixed in hardware, unless changing the stick which is surely firmware, but spit is configurable with software?

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography

This is all fine and good however where was the dirt obtained from; likewise the stick?  I'd also question the quality of the bubbles - what lubricant was used to obtain the bubbles; plain tap water or high-end imported stuff?

These are all questions that need to be answered before we can move on the next phase....

:-\

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography

This is all fine and good however where was the dirt obtained from; likewise the stick?  I'd also question the quality of the bubbles - what lubricant was used to obtain the bubbles; plain tap water or high-end imported stuff?

These are all questions that need to be answered before we can move on the next phase....

:-\

Chris - Agree with the analysis; now we need to find out if its an open or closed system.

:D

bcooter

How many times did you spit?

If only 800 times that's not enough.  You need to spit at leaset 810 times.

The quality of spit then has a whole different look.

Do you have to buy your dirt?  I live in a city so my dirt goes through a dealer.   If only I could get it for less, like people that live on farms, or Mars.

They get their dirt direct.

Thanks

BC

« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 01:56:37 pm by bcooter »

TMARK

Care to offer some support for your contentions?  I have yet to see a chart or a graph explaining any of this. 

MrSmith

I'm with you there 99% but it's the corner performance wide open that's stopping me from committing, that and the acceptance of my camera club peers if I emotionally invest in the wrong system.
But thanks for sharing anyway.

Eddie van der Walt

hahahaha, spitting with laughter here.

Well and truly Lampooned.

;D
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 02:11:07 pm by Eddie van der Walt »

Bob Gundu

But which technique will impress the females? Thats all that really matters to me.  ;D

Gigi

• some work

what did you eat before you spit? It affects the dirt.
Geoff

alatreille

• Between the Buildings

But if we apply our spit bubbles to the dirt, we are confronted with an entirely different format....
Architectural Photographer
http://www.andrewlatreille.com

synn

• My fine art portfolio

Have you tried stitching the spit?
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

Chris Livsey

I live in a city so my dirt goes through a dealer.  

But then you get all the benefit of professional dirt support, at a price. The spitters are on their own.

I did hear a rumour at Photokina that Leica were looking to enter the high-end dirt market, and not with rebadged Panasonic dirt either  ;)

Joe Towner

What beverage did you consume prior to making said spit?  Was it natural sugar or fake? 

Was any alcohol involved in the spit?  If not, why?
t: @PNWMF

JV

I did hear a rumour at Photokina that Leica were looking to enter the high-end dirt market, and not with rebadged Panasonic dirt either  ;)

According to my source "organic" dirt is the future!!

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography

But bubbles are way more fun.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up