Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Photokina - Canon abandons the pros  (Read 33218 times)

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com
Re: Photokina - Canon abandons the pros
« Reply #80 on: September 22, 2014, 05:01:03 pm »

It's not like that cameras go to service every 5,000 shutter clicks, like cars. In 40 years of photography, I had to send a camera for repair only once (Canon 40D for a faulty CF slot). When on assignment or trip, service time does not matter much, that is why we have back up cameras.

I wouldn't base my entire decision on this one point, but for me it's one of several factors. I've had to send cameras in about 5 times more than you, which actually isn't a lot. The problems ranged from "doesn't work at all" to "doesn't focus accurately" to just some dirt in the prism of a new camera. If repairs took weeks instead of days I'd be pretty concerned. A day or two longer wouldn't be as much of an issue. Between now and mid December I'm only home for about 4 weeks between 2 trips. If something happened to a camera on the first trip I'd send it for repair from one of three places I'll be staying. If the repair took "weeks" I'd need to use a backup until I got home. Then, if repairs took ~4 weeks (can't imagine that, but I suppose it's possible) I'd have to leave on the second trip without that camera, and I'm moving around too much on that trip to have it shipped to a motel. It's not always like that, but Murphy says repairs are needed when they're the least convenient. Sometimes, a few days turnaround (even for a mirror box replacement) is very nice.

Of course the quality of a repair is as or more important than how long it takes. In my fairly limited experience Canon's repairs have always been perfect.
- Dean

melchiorpavone

« Reply #81 on: September 22, 2014, 05:01:10 pm »

Interesting observation. I've been shooting for decades, but only really selling in the last 6 years or so. Never dropped or broke any camera, until I started to make money with them. And Canon fixed them quickly and completely when I did so.

http://darrenstone1.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/apocalypse_now_dennis_hopper.jpg

Those cameras are all period-correct (1960s models), by the way.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 05:02:45 pm by melchiorpavone »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #82 on: September 22, 2014, 05:04:55 pm »

Frankly repair turn around time/temporary replacement provision for DSLRs should be mostly irrelevant for pros considering the price of bodies such as the D750. If you cannot afford to buy one such back up you have most certainly picked the wrong business line by a huge stretch.

It is a different story for lenses, in particular the big guns because most people cannot afford to own back ups due to their much higher prices.

Cheers,
Bernard

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #83 on: September 22, 2014, 05:09:04 pm »

Hi,

Foxes are known to be smart customers, hey may know what the future holds.

Best regards
Erik

Oh, so THAT'S what people mean by saying that Canon caters to wildlife photographers.....
Fine humor, Slobodan!
Erik Kaffehr

melchiorpavone

« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2014, 05:19:11 pm »

Frankly repair turn around time/temporary replacement provision for DSLRs should be mostly irrelevant for pros considering the price of bodies such as the D750. If you cannot afford to buy one such back up you have most certainly picked the wrong business line by a huge stretch.

It is a different story for lenses, in particular the big guns because most people cannot afford to own back ups due to their much higher prices.

Cheers,
Bernard

I would argue that quick turn-around time is valuable no matter how many you own.

Misirlou

• http://
« Reply #85 on: September 22, 2014, 05:50:49 pm »

Hi,

Foxes are known to be smart customers, hey may know what the future holds.

Best regards
Erik

Horses aren't quite that smart. They sometimes prefer obsolete cameras...

I've posted this one before, from the very first time I ever shot 4X5 in the field. I walked away from my camera for just a few minutes to check out another angle, and when I turned around, there was a horse slobbering all over my precious Schneider glass. Thankfully, I had a 35mm camera (Bolsey B2) with which, arguably, I took a more interesting picture than I had with the 4X5...

robdickinson

« Reply #86 on: September 22, 2014, 05:52:41 pm »

What a terrible thread, this forum seems packed full of whiners at the moment.

Canon release a new major upgrade semi pro level sports camera and a new 400 DO yet they are abandoning pro's? wow really...

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #87 on: September 22, 2014, 06:10:11 pm »

I would argue that quick turn-around time is valuable no matter how many you own.

Why?

Cheers,
Bernard

chbla

« Reply #88 on: September 22, 2014, 06:32:49 pm »

It's really funny to read this thread

I know a couple of other forums where it's exactly the opposite, Nikon users turning their back to Nikon
because of the 7D MKII which seems to be a missing thing in Nikons lineup

I agree to the previous poster, all this complaining is more than pointless, especially since canon
announced another model for the next months.. "abandons the pros" is ridiculous in every way

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #89 on: September 22, 2014, 06:38:49 pm »

...since canon announced another model for the next months...

Announced!? Where?

robdickinson

« Reply #90 on: September 22, 2014, 06:53:26 pm »

Canons schedule for camera releases is pretty static. Sometimes they drag things on a little but over the next 6 months we will see a new 5d, then an update to the 1dx.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #91 on: September 22, 2014, 07:05:48 pm »

...over the next 6 months we will see a new 5d, then an update to the 1dx.

What's that sound? 2012 calling?  ;)

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #92 on: September 22, 2014, 07:33:53 pm »

Of course the quality of a repair is as or more important than how long it takes. In my fairly limited experience Canon's repairs have always been perfect.
I had a 16-35mm fixed by CPS UK a while back and it came back with the focus marks on the wrong way around. But it seems from more recent experience, that CPS here is a lot better and faster too.
As for repairs, the 16-35 has been repaired twice and needs a third visit - all different faults, my 35mm f2 once [annoyingly it broke the one time I decided to travel light and only take that single lens with me and it was new] and my 24-70 needs currently needs an overhaul as randomly the left hand side of picture is not sharp. The camera bodies, never had an issue with them. They will now probably break next week!
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #93 on: September 22, 2014, 07:38:07 pm »

Depends if the case with both cameras are in get damaged and knackers both cameras together, crap like that does happen.

Carrying them would be the bigger issue. They make up a large part of the weight of my bag.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Harold Clark

« Reply #94 on: September 22, 2014, 07:45:59 pm »

I am disappointed that Canon seems to have stalled as far as TSE lens development goes. After release of the spectacular 17mm and equally great redesigned 24mm a few years ago there have been no new announcements. The 45mm needs an upgrade, and something new in the 32-35mm range would be most welcome.

melchiorpavone

« Reply #95 on: September 22, 2014, 08:18:10 pm »

Why?

Cheers,
Bernard

Do you really not understand, or are you making a special effort to be obtuse here?

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #96 on: September 22, 2014, 08:28:14 pm »

Do you really not understand, or are you making a special effort to be obtuse here?

I really don't understand what the difference is in terms of actual impact between 2 and 4 days TAT on bodies repair for working pros. Especially if you use Canon or Nikon whose bodies are so cheap that owning 2 back up bodies should be a no brainer for any profitable business.

Why don't you spell it out for me?

I understand the difference btwn one hour and one day with a committed TAT though but I don't think it's the point being discussed here, is it?

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 08:32:19 pm by BernardLanguillier »

melchiorpavone

« Reply #97 on: September 22, 2014, 08:30:10 pm »

I really don't understand what the difference is between 2 and 4 days TAT on bodies repair for working pros. Especially if you use Canon or Nikon whose bodies are so cheap that owning 2 back up bodies should be a no brainer for any profitable business.

I understand the difference btwn one hour and one day though but I don't think it's the point being discussed here, is it?

Cheers,
Bernard

2 or 4 days is not the issue. Repairs can drag on for weeks or months. In the case of lenses, it is not always possible to have a spare due to cost, and rental may be unavailable. Having the benefit of a loaner if repairs cannot be quickly performed can be a lifesaver.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 08:33:03 pm by melchiorpavone »

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #98 on: September 22, 2014, 08:33:01 pm »

2 or 4 days is not the issue. Repairs can drag on for weeks or months. In the case of lenses, it is not always possible to have a spare due to cost, and rental may be unavailable. Having the benefit of a loaner can be a lifesaver.

I agree about lenses as mentioned above.

Cheers,
Bernard

melchiorpavone

« Reply #99 on: September 22, 2014, 08:35:11 pm »

I agree about lenses as mentioned above.

Cheers,
Bernard

It's obvious you have never had a pole-vaulter drop his pole right on your Leicaflex and 250mm Telyt-R, separating them at a significant angle.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Up