Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture One Pro 8 available now!  (Read 39486 times)

deejjjaaaa

Re: Capture One Pro 8 available now!
« Reply #80 on: September 20, 2014, 12:48:06 am »

How do you do this?

start once C1 with some dummy session as a command line parameter (.cosessiondb file) - I create such session once on my PC.

then from some image browser (I use XnView) just start C1 with raw file passed as a command line parameter each time you want to work with that raw file

ideally of course C1 shall allow to use 2 command line parameters - a raw file and a session, if they so insist on torture those users /who do not wish that functionality/ with catalogs & sessions, but alas.

The View

« Reply #81 on: September 20, 2014, 03:22:38 am »

Is there anything one needs to do to bring the catalogs from 7 into 8?

Also, has keywording been made an easier process?

The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

ario

« Reply #82 on: September 20, 2014, 03:33:26 am »

Launching a CO7 catalog from CO8, the same will be updated automatically (the update is unduable, so better to make a copy).
Keywording is substantially better than before, even if not as easy to use as in Lr or in Aperture.

The View

« Reply #83 on: September 20, 2014, 03:37:50 am »

I just read the file browser (that we had in version 6, I think).

So you don't need catalogs - and c1 8 ,will it put a file into each folder where the adjustment settings are stored?

Has anybody looked at the catalogs of v8 - have they become better?

Question about imports: in c1 7 you couldn't really choose the folder and images names, but were bound by templates (Which is why I imported with Canon's software onto the computer, where I could name folders and images as I wanted, and later imported photos from disc into C18). Can you now freely choose folder and image names (I like descriptive names that tell me exactly what's in the folder)
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

ario

« Reply #84 on: September 20, 2014, 04:18:25 am »

The catalog mode is an addition, starting from CO7, the session/browsing mode which was available before is still available.
If you wish to import from a card using CO you can do, and during import you can create the folders you desire in any drive of your system and name them according to your needs.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 02:37:31 am by ario »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #85 on: September 21, 2014, 01:26:01 am »

Any chances of a small informal benchmark? I'm eyeing a macpro in the near future... ::) ::)

Just did a quick test.

It exported 21 D810 raws with various adjustments in 37 sec to a fast TB2.0 Raid 6 array.

Cheers,
Bernard

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #86 on: September 21, 2014, 02:32:12 pm »

I just read the file browser (that we had in version 6, I think).

So you don't need catalogs - and c1 8 ,will it put a file into each folder where the adjustment settings are stored?

Has anybody looked at the catalogs of v8 - have they become better?

Question about imports: in c1 7 you couldn't really choose the folder and images names, but were bound by templates (Which is why I imported with Canon's software onto the computer, where I could name folders and images as I wanted, and later imported photos from disc into C18). Can you now freely choose folder and image names (I like descriptive names that tell me exactly what's in the folder)

As I have explained many times to you before, the File Browser has always been present in version 7, exactly as it was in version 6.  Nothing changed.

The Session structure didn't bind you to any template at all and was completely flexible, in terms of organisation and naming of folders.

The same goes for Version 8.

David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

• Capture One
« Reply #87 on: September 21, 2014, 02:34:25 pm »

I would like more specifics about "improved"...   What does than mean just out of curiosity?  I noticed a difference Immediately but I thought the previous HDR tool was shall I say less than ideal.....Now I'm really liking what I see on my Macbook air. Eleanor

Well, an HDR tool only performs 2 tasks.  Recovers highlights and brightens shadows.  In version 8, the separation of the highlights and shadows is much better (i.e recovering highlights doesn't affect mid tone) and you can push the slider more before the image looks over cooked.

The easiest way to see an improvement is try it.

David Grover

• Capture One
« Reply #88 on: September 21, 2014, 02:35:53 pm »

I will  have to look into Catalogs in V.8.  I have not been happy at all with Catalogs in V.7.  I love file management in Lightroom...so intuitive and easy and the synchronize feature is unbeatable.  This is why I've used C1 only for all my RAW processing and Lightroom for everything else...file management, printing, etc etc. Eleanor

Synchronisation of folders is in Capture One Pro 8.

David Grover

eleanorbrown

• Eleanor Brown Photography
« Reply #89 on: September 21, 2014, 02:53:10 pm »

Yes I have been using it  almost constantly on my MacBook Air ...I see the change now...mid tones for the most part are left out of the adjustments and makes a HUGE difference... I can get fabulous looking clouds now and natural shadows... This alone is worth the cost of upgrade! Now if i could get apple to stop shipping iphones for a moment and get my mac pro 6 core shipped on time i can use v.8 on a calibrated screen.   Eleanor

Well, an HDR tool only performs 2 tasks.  Recovers highlights and brightens shadows.  In version 8, the separation of the highlights and shadows is much better (i.e recovering highlights doesn't affect mid tone) and you can push the slider more before the image looks over cooked.

The easiest way to see an improvement is try it.

Eleanor Brown
[url=http://www.eleanorbro

alain

« Reply #90 on: September 21, 2014, 03:20:31 pm »

I noticed that the 10-layer limit is still there.  This makes the clone layers limited in use.
With CO-7 I reached the 10-layer limit from time to time, but then I did no cloning inside CO.

It would be nice if the limit was higher, 10 is limiting things.

MrSmith

« Reply #91 on: September 26, 2014, 05:01:53 am »

anyone having problems with the online store? I’m in a continuous loop of trying to buy an upgrade, I’m logged in but when i try to continue with purchase it just tells me that “your order has already been processed, please check your order history”
i do this and it shows the upgrade with a checkout button which if clicked just takes me back to the beginning again..?

mavericks/safari all up to date.  ???

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #92 on: September 26, 2014, 05:30:14 am »

No problem with the update store here last night.
The only complication was needing to add my VAT number to my account prior to ordering the upgrade.

It was really nice to see such a generous upgrade policy from older versions too. Going from 1 LE to Pro 8 for less than fifty quid seems quite a bargain by other companies standards :-)

• Capture One
« Reply #93 on: September 26, 2014, 06:04:21 am »

anyone having problems with the online store? I’m in a continuous loop of trying to buy an upgrade, I’m logged in but when i try to continue with purchase it just tells me that “your order has already been processed, please check your order history”
i do this and it shows the upgrade with a checkout button which if clicked just takes me back to the beginning again..?

mavericks/safari all up to date.  ???

Hi Mr Smith,

Drop a note to support, then they will be able to look at your account and check.

David

David Grover

MrSmith

« Reply #94 on: September 26, 2014, 06:34:54 am »

All sorted. the ‘turn it off and on again’ method of quitting and relaunching worked.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #95 on: September 26, 2014, 08:11:44 am »

I noticed that the 10-layer limit is still there.  This makes the clone layers limited in use.
With CO-7 I reached the 10-layer limit from time to time, but then I did no cloning inside CO.

It would be nice if the limit was higher, 10 is limiting things.

It would nice to see an increase in the total number of adjustment layers from 10.  Especially with all the increases in capabilities that are now in local adjustments.

Paul

Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #96 on: September 26, 2014, 11:37:05 am »

It would nice to see an increase in the total number of adjustment layers from 10. 
Maybe time for a Pro 9 wish list then ;-)

If it's anything like the threads that have been created for Lightroom, it could become instructive. People ask "I'd like it to do xxxx" then someone says "But it can, just click xxxx...." followed by a few others saying "well I never knew about that"

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #97 on: September 26, 2014, 12:11:07 pm »

Many seem not to realize the full potential of the local adjustments with in Capture One.  With what has been added in Vr8, the tool set is amazing, and gives you the ability to really fine tune an image or series of images. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

alain

« Reply #98 on: September 26, 2014, 12:21:27 pm »

Many seem not to realize the full potential of the local adjustments with in Capture One.  With what has been added in Vr8, the tool set is amazing, and gives you the ability to really fine tune an image or series of images. 

Paul

Indeed, and the local HDR is very nice.  Although a curve inside local adjustments would be even better.  Or even just a few exposure sliders that are weighted at a different value (1/4,1/2,3/4).

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #99 on: September 26, 2014, 01:14:51 pm »

Many seem not to realize the full potential of the local adjustments with in Capture One. 
I wish the way it was done in LightZone...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up