Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 7D Mark II announced  (Read 27303 times)

Keith Reeder

• Capture The Moment
Re: Canon 7D Mark II announced
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2014, 01:45:47 pm »

There was nothing polite about it, Slobodan.

Canon isn't in the business of making you your perfect camera, and besides, it should be patently obvious to everyone that the intended audience for this camera is sport and wildlife photographers, not you.

Your patronising dismissal of this camera is a patronising dismissal of these entire genres, and those of us who do shoot in them.
Keith Reeder
Blyth, NE England

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2014, 01:48:37 pm »

... Your patronising dismissal of this camera is a patronising dismissal of these entire genres, and those of us who do shoot in them.

And especially you.

mahleu

• 500px
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2014, 03:20:34 pm »

It was 5 years between the 7D and 7DII, that means that the original was still selling well enough to not need a replacement rushed out. The 7D is massively popular among wildlife, sports and aircraft shooters (both pro and amateur). I expect the mkII will sell very well.

peterottaway

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2014, 10:15:44 pm »

I am not trying to get into a flame war with those inclined to Canon it's just you can buy a Sony A77 Mark 2 for $1100 rather than $1800. OK there are those that insist that they need a certain lens that only Canon can provide, but I can't but feel that you are (again) for a ride financially.

rgs

• Richard Smith Photography
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2014, 11:02:45 pm »

I am not trying to get into a flame war with those inclined to Canon it's just you can buy a Sony A77 Mark 2 for $1100 rather than $1800. OK there are those that insist that they need a certain lens that only Canon can provide, but I can't but feel that you are (again) for a ride financially.

Well, each to his own. Our choices may be more complex than just what you consider to be the better sensor. We all have different working methods, different favored subjects, different financial constraints and many other variables. We may also have different subjective preferences that are hard to quantify. Maybe we just like the way Canon images look or prefer the feel and control layout of Canon. Some of us are more interested in the gear and want the best stuff (objectively) that we can afford. Others don't care too much as long as it produces images that we like. Some of us even do things to an image file to, in my opinion, degrade it in order to achieve an older or unique look.

Your post vaguely reminds me of those folk who love their MAC and think there must be something wrong with others who don't want submit to Apple's form of cybertyranny and if they would just try it they would see the light.

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2014, 07:38:36 am »

It's not "lenses that only Canon can provide," it's a gazillion dollars in lenses, speedlighting systems, and multiple bodies that I already own. Worse, for me, it's what my employer already owns -- getting a new camera through the budget cycle is relatively simple, but buying an entirely new system from scratch would be asking a bit much.

I'll be interested to handle the 7D Mark II and see some images from it. My 1D Mark IV bodies are getting kind of old, with a lot of shutter cycles. My new 5D mark III is terrific, and if the new 7D is close to an APS-C version of that camera, I think they would complement each other well. I am no longer shooting sports or news full time, so I don't really need the 1Dx, but the speed and AF is useful when I do get that sort of assignment, and I can get a pair of 7D Mark II for about half what a single 1Dx will cost.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

kodachrome

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2014, 10:53:43 am »

Keith, that was just a polite way of expressing my disgust with a sad demise of the once-great brand, whose loyal user I've been the last 40 years.

I'm not happy that it took Canon 5 years to upgrade the 7D, but I don't understand the negative comments about the MKII. As an action photographer, I'm delighted with the new focusing system, which seems identical to me to the 1DX, including iTR AF. Dual processors will ensure fast focusing, or should. Hopefully it will produce sharp images at ISOs higher than 400, which the 7D cannot do. The crop factor is very important for nature photography.

So what is that you, and the many others, are disappointed with? I just don't understand it.

allegretto

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2014, 11:57:42 am »

So what is that you, and the many others, are disappointed with? I just don't understand it.

Just hang around for a while... you'll get it.

for some it's more important to find out what's "wrong" instead of what's "right".

Some camera-folks spend a great deal of time with spec-sheets and hypothetical situations in order to come to their conclusions. It would seem as though the joy of actual images just isn't there and it's all about comparing gear, not really using it.

Of course, some gear isn't the best for some applications, but manufacturers recognize this and it's why they make different models. But the beat goes on...

allegretto

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2014, 11:59:35 am »

Your post vaguely reminds me of those folk who love their MAC and think there must be something wrong with others who don't want submit to Apple's form of cybertyranny and if they would just try it they would see the light.

I've tried it, several times... and always came back to Mac cuz I don't like to waste time playing with my tools.

rgs

• Richard Smith Photography
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2014, 12:40:48 pm »

for some it's more important to find out what's "wrong" instead of what's "right".

Some camera-folks spend a great deal of time with spec-sheets and hypothetical situations in order to come to their conclusions. It would seem as though the joy of actual images just isn't there and it's all about comparing gear, not really using it.

Of course, some gear isn't the best for some applications, but manufacturers recognize this and it's why they make different models. But the beat goes on...

"Some people don't have much food on their table, but they got a lot of forks and knives and they gotta cut somethin'Bob Dylan, 1961

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2014, 12:53:09 pm »

There was nothing polite about it, Slobodan.

Canon isn't in the business of making you your perfect camera, and besides, it should be patently obvious to everyone that the intended audience for this camera is sport and wildlife photographers, not you.

Your patronising dismissal of this camera is a patronising dismissal of these entire genres, and those of us who do shoot in them.
I suggest hiding his posts. I do as I got fed up with his constant nasty, unpleasant posts ,along with personal attacks on people. I'm amazed he's still on here as people have been ejected for far less.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

jjj

« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2014, 12:57:28 pm »

The camera body may be the cheap part of a photography setup, so not a big deal. Not to mention that judging solely on price is not wise purchasing thinking.
And yes Sony don't even make a lot of the the lenses Canon do, so not even worth getting if they the Sony only costs $100 if you need those lenses.

kodachrome

« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2014, 02:38:57 pm »

So I'm still waiting to hear what is wrong about the MKII, instead of your pontificating.

kodachrome

« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2014, 02:44:06 pm »

"Some people don't have much food on their table, but they got a lot of forks and knives and they gotta cut somethin'Bob Dylan, 1961

:D

NancyP

« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2014, 03:03:35 pm »

Ah, there is always a bit a whining about every tech introduction. Yawn.

Samsung may end up with having a good camera, but the system is not developed yet. I am choosing to shoot with a soon-to-be-available (2 months) camera that accommodates existing supertelephoto lenses of known high optical quality and AF performance.

It is nice to have choices. This 7D2 is a fine choice for focal-length-limited action stills (wildlife, birds, sports) - I am not qualified to comment on video capabilities because I don't shoot video. And landscape / architecture  / commercial / fashion / wedding / other genre photographers have other choices better optimized to their needs.

NancyP

« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2014, 03:16:44 pm »

BTW, I have not had a camera using CF card before - anyone have recommendations for CF card brand, reader brand? Reader must be back-compatible with USB 2.0 or Firewire 800. OK, maybe I should upgrade the computer instead...

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2014, 03:30:33 pm »

Hi,

No revolution but evolution, I guess…

I am pretty sure that Canon cameras do a pretty good job, but it is also quite obvious that they are lagging in resolution and low ISO noise/DR. They need to address those issues sooner or later.

Best regards
Erik

Keith, that was just a polite way of expressing my disgust with a sad demise of the once-great brand, whose loyal user I've been the last 40 years.
Erik Kaffehr

jjj

« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2014, 03:35:19 pm »

BTW, I have not had a camera using CF card before - anyone have recommendations for CF card brand, reader brand? Reader must be back-compatible with USB 2.0 or Firewire 800. OK, maybe I should upgrade the computer instead...
usb 3 is backwards compatible with usb 2, but 2 is too slow to bother with. There's a good FW reader on Amazon UK the Delock Card Reader FireWire, can't copy direct link from stupid browser sorry.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 03:42:04 pm by jjj »

Rory

• Recent images
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2014, 03:46:38 pm »

BTW, I have not had a camera using CF card before - anyone have recommendations for CF card brand, reader brand? Reader must be back-compatible with USB 2.0 or Firewire 800.

I have had good luck with the Lexar Professional USB 3.0 Dual-Slot Reader Nancy.  Also, if the 7DII is like the 5DIII the buffer clears faster with CF cards compared to similar spec SD cards, which was a bit of a surprise to me.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/roryhi

NancyP

« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2014, 06:07:26 pm »

I had heard that CF cards clear buffer faster on 5D3, probably due to higher speed of fastest UDMA7 card (write speed of 150 MB/sec, vs fast SD write speed of 95 MB/sec).  Thanks for comments on reader - Yep, I know I will be sticking a USB 3.0 reader onto a USB 2.0 computer and watching the grass grow...That's the other upgrade I will be looking at in the next year or so, a computer. Typically I max out the specs on a computer and then use it for 5 years until it becomes too-slow-for-evolving-code-bloat-ware, then replace. The MacBookPro is a superannuated mid-2010 model with only dual-core processors and an aging graphics card, etc.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up