Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 7D Mark II announced  (Read 27305 times)

Tony Jay

Canon 7D Mark II announced
« on: September 15, 2014, 08:29:29 am »

For those who are interested.

Tony Jay

barryfitzgerald

Re: Canon 7D Mark II announced
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 09:02:05 am »

Specs are in line with what you would expect for an updated model
I got a pre order email today and the price is £1599, whilst I didn't expect it to be cheap (I thought about £1100 odd) the initial price seems excessive for an APS-C camera. APS-C still has a place and a market, but I don't think that price is going to fly for long.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 09:07:49 am »

I have no dog in this fight but specs wise the new Samsung NX-1 seems quite competitive despite being a mirrorless. No really long lenses though.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 09:23:16 am »

Yawn.

John Koerner

• "Fortune favors the bold." Virgil
    • John Koerner Photography
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 10:30:48 am »

I have no dog in this fight but specs wise the new Samsung NX-1 seems quite competitive despite being a mirrorless. No really long lenses though.

Not so: 500 mm

Not sure how good it is, though.

Jack

John Koerner

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 10:37:37 am »

With a $116 price tag, I highly-doubt this is a suitable substitute for a 7D II + 500L combo, but to each his own

Keith Reeder

• Capture The Moment
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 03:54:04 pm »

Yawn.

Too much camera for you, Slobodan?

Seriously: if you've got nothing useful to say - and clearly, you don't - we'll happily get by without your pithy "contributions"...
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 03:59:33 pm by Keith Reeder »
Keith Reeder
Blyth, NE England

Keith Reeder

• Capture The Moment
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 03:58:51 pm »

Specs are in line with what you would expect for an updated model
I got a pre order email today and the price is £1599, whilst I didn't expect it to be cheap (I thought about £1100 odd) the initial price seems excessive for an APS-C camera. APS-C still has a place and a market, but I don't think that price is going to fly for long.

I expected it to be closer to £2000 at launch, Barry - at "only" £1600 (a price which will drop soon enough), it's a positive steal for what the specs suggest it's capable of.

I'm seriously tempted. I was an early adopter of the 7D (which cost £1300, IIRC) and this is much, much more camera than the 7D.
Keith Reeder
Blyth, NE England

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 04:02:14 pm »

Keith, that was just a polite way of expressing my disgust with a sad demise of the once-great brand, whose loyal user I've been the last 40 years.

John Koerner

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 04:18:33 pm »

Keith, that was just a polite way of expressing my disgust with a sad demise of the once-great brand, whose loyal user I've been the last 40 years.

Good sir, while I too would have preferred news about the new camera having "the best sensor in the universe," you have to admit that you're still basically getting better specs that the 1Dx and the D4 for $1800.

It may not produce a better single image blown-up on a monitor, when compared to the D810, but then neither does Nikon's own D4 ( which is twice-as-expensive).

Surely, you must admit that, in overall usefulness, it's a pretty sweet package for the price.

Jack

John Koerner

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 04:32:18 pm »

It is already up on B & H, and they're lauding its "enhanced low-light sensitivity" ... so it will be interesting to see some actual reviews, which I am sure will be forthcoming over the ensuing weeks.

Jack

bcooter

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 04:49:33 pm »

Canon takes a lot of heat, I guess because they haven't produced a gazillion megapixel camera, though in day in day out, make a living commerce, I can leave the multiple camera cases of REDs, Nikons, Leicas, Contax, Mirrorless 43, grab the Canon case of a 70d, 5d2 and 1dx and shoot anything I've every done.

I love Canon's lenses, especially the stabilized ones, I find the whole system intuitive and robust and except on one instance had incredible service around the world.

We "crashed" a 1d3 in Hong Kong two years ago and they even replaced the sensor in 5 hours.   To me that's pretty amazing.

Personally I think the 7d is less than I expected, because the 70d is so good for video and stills.  I had hoped for a pro version of the 70d with an articulating screen, in and out headphone jacks, (they have the jacks), better sound preamps and a few more 2.8 constant stabilized lenses.

Anyway, I no fanboy of any system, sometimes think of my Canons as much as tools as anything to get attached to, but they work and work and work.

IMO

BC

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2014, 07:09:19 pm »

Sounds like a nice addition very focused on wildlife shooters.

Probably the best APS-C camera to date.

The Samsung NX may be a strong contender though.

As of now Nikon is definitely out of the APS-C picture for serious shooters. The only smart move would be to release a D400 that would be EVF only and go with 1 series type technologies while keeping the resolution no higher than 24mp.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 09:48:30 pm by BernardLanguillier »

barryfitzgerald

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2014, 07:23:17 pm »

I expected it to be closer to £2000 at launch, Barry - at "only" £1600 (a price which will drop soon enough), it's a positive steal for what the specs suggest it's capable of.

I'm seriously tempted. I was an early adopter of the 7D (which cost £1300, IIRC) and this is much, much more camera than the 7D.

Depends what you want really if it's pro level APS-C that's a small ish market bar wildlife/action shooters good to see a product turn up (D300 users have probably long since given up the ghost on that getting updated) It's about in line with what you'd expect years go by and things get better, more AF points, the on sensor AF nice buffer size. I wouldn't say it's astonishing in what it adds, merely expected considering the age of the Mk I 7d. I can see a market for APS-C semi pro level, above that honestly most would go FF at that price point. Maybe the street price will be a bit more appealing (-£300 odd)

NancyP

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2014, 08:45:19 pm »

I think that the wildlife/sports amateur segment is larger than the pros realize. This sounds like a pretty good camera to me - mini-1DX AF/burst speed, good build quality and weatherproofing, decent if not stellar IQ,  plenty of pixels on the bird (high pixel density), will make the most of the budget long lenses eg my beloved EF 400 f/5.6L.

Sure, if I could get a clean used 500 f/4 L IS v.I for $1,800.00, that would be a big boost for my birding shots, but that lens is still in the $5,000.00 range. I suspect that I will get more bang for my buck in switching from a 60D to a 7D2 (keeping my 400 f/5.6L) than in any other investment of under $2,000.00.

That said, my landscape shooting is done with a 6D (lower light) and Sigma DP2 Merrill.

John Koerner

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2014, 10:13:52 pm »

I think that the wildlife/sports amateur segment is larger than the pros realize. This sounds like a pretty good camera to me - mini-1DX AF/burst speed, good build quality and weatherproofing, decent if not stellar IQ,  plenty of pixels on the bird (high pixel density), will make the most of the budget long lenses eg my beloved EF 400 f/5.6L.

I would say there are BY FAR more people into wildlife/sports photography than there are dedicated, highly-demanding "pro landscape photographers" ... and by seven hundred country miles ...

John Koerner

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2014, 10:18:20 pm »

The Samsung NX may be a strong contender though.

Not sure if it's as robust as the 7D II, but if someone comes along and makes a Canon-lens-friendly adapter for it, might be quite tempting indeed!

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2014, 03:12:16 am »

Not sure if it's as robust as the 7D II, but if someone comes along and makes a Canon-lens-friendly adapter for it, might be quite tempting indeed!

This body being about speed, I doubt there would be much value in using Canon lenses on it because the AF is likely to be much slower compared to native lenses.

The question is more whether your competitors using a NX1 next to you at the same venue will get more keepers that you or not using their Samsung lenses. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

barryfitzgerald

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2014, 05:33:25 am »

I would say there are BY FAR more people into wildlife/sports photography than there are dedicated, highly-demanding "pro landscape photographers" ... and by seven hundred country miles ...

Not everyone using APS-C is just a landscape photographer there are other areas of use weddings/portraits. Whilst many are full frame not all are by any means.
In either case the 70d might be a better bet it doesn't have the pro build, but it's a decent semi pro level body

John Koerner

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2014, 10:15:50 am »

Not everyone using APS-C is just a landscape photographer there are other areas of use weddings/portraits. Whilst many are full frame not all are by any means.
In either case the 70d might be a better bet it doesn't have the pro build, but it's a decent semi pro level body

Nah, the 70D doesn't have 100% viewfinder coverage, which is a deal-breaker right there.

I mean, the 7D II is basically a high-performance version that does everything better.

I can live without wi-fi.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up