This affects everyone, in the UK and Ireland and Europe, it also effects the US if the UK is no longer a nuclear power and as such, the balance of power in the world. It affects everyone who has paid into a UK based private pension scheme, that
will be frozen in perpetuity if Scotland becomes a separate country, even service pensions – ask any expat who already lives abroad. It affects all our utilities, and banking, and the value of all our assets, for you and all your family, plus a long list of other material things and services that we now rely on so much.
To think this is just some simple separation is to undersell the most momentous decision that you or I will ever make, so for people to talk in terms that make it sound like the decision for independence is akin to making a choice as to what channel to watch on TV tonight, is entirely and worryingly wrong, it is not just a little bit of thing, it is MOMENTOUS!
Yet all I hear from the Yes people in answer to any serious questions put to them, is 'don't worry, everything will be OK', well I am worrying, because I have heard nothing to ease my worries other than simplistic reassurances and promises along the lines of the usual political reassurances of
free beer tomorrow. I do not want to gamble the value of my house, my assets, my pension and my family's future on 'don't worry, everything will be OK'.
I was determined to try and stay out of this vote, but this lack of knowing what the hell is going to happen to me and my family if we do get a yes vote, other than being sure there will be a mass exodus of people and wealth hightailing it back down to what remains of the UK, has now pushed me into making a choice based on what I think could be a disastrous leap into the unknown, from a position of being fairly secure in semi retirement, and that choice for me is going to be NO, not because I do not want independence, but because these glib reassurances from the Yes people have frightened me away from coming to any other decision.
I am sure you will tell me that all this is due to the so called
Operation Fear from the No campaign, but I feel it is more the result of desperation, after listening again and again to the Yes side talking down to me, with false smiles of reassurance plastered across their faces.
'Don't worry, everything will be OK' will not feed my family and is not OK with me.
There you go, I have said my piece and nailed my colours to the mast as they say, I will now wait for the rotten eggs to start flying in my direction ..

Dave