Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: …or Capture One?  (Read 22702 times)

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
…or Capture One?
« on: July 10, 2014, 11:12:35 am »

If you're interested in knowing more about Capture One, then consider joining my webinar next week!

https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/rt/5513478327371153922

I will show you the basic workflow and get you orientated to the interface.

You can also ask questions throughout if you have anything specific!

Try Capture One for free or use the voucher "switch50" to receive 50 % off: http://bit.ly/1ogzCe9

David
Phase One A/S

David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

Hywel

• http://www.restrainedelegance.com
Re: …or Capture One?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 01:49:36 pm »

I'd love to, David, but an unfortunate spat between C1 and Hasselblad means no RAW support for my workhorse camera's files in C1 Pro :(

Sigh.

Cheers, Hywel.

Daniel Salazar

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 04:00:17 pm »

Hi David, I was hopping that C1 will make it for me, but unfortunately after buying it, being really happy, watching the great tutorial you made with the LuLa team, I muss say, the system is still not from premier time, it's really buggy, having lots of stability issues. What it worries me the most, even opening a ticket, your support team hasn't been able (after more than one week) to find a solution.
The only problem is that even you're an European Company and I am also an European Customer, you are not complying with the Consumer Protection Act that grants the customers the right to dissolve a deal after a period of time, since the beginning I requested the refund of my money, something the people dealing with my ticket said you don't have a refund policy, which is by no way legal.
Cheers,
Daniel

• Capture One
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 03:25:06 am »

Hi David, I was hopping that C1 will make it for me, but unfortunately after buying it, being really happy, watching the great tutorial you made with the LuLa team, I muss say, the system is still not from premier time, it's really buggy, having lots of stability issues. What it worries me the most, even opening a ticket, your support team hasn't been able (after more than one week) to find a solution.
The only problem is that even you're an European Company and I am also an European Customer, you are not complying with the Consumer Protection Act that grants the customers the right to dissolve a deal after a period of time, since the beginning I requested the refund of my money, something the people dealing with my ticket said you don't have a refund policy, which is by no way legal.
Cheers,
Daniel

Hi Daniel,

I looked into your support case and it seems your last response was..

"by the way, I deactivate the OpenCL and it seems to be working without major problem."

So, this might explain why you haven't received further correspondence.  Also a request by support to rectify the issue - we can't tell if you have actioned?

Support will get back in touch to check your status.

David

David Grover

Daniel Salazar

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 01:05:42 pm »

Hi David, yes I did that to try several of the possibilities, however it did not bring anything. I must made a parenthesis, the program is great it is really Aperture alike and I would love that works without major issues, however, my computer is an iMac 27" with a 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 with 32 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 with OS 10.9.4 and should not have any issues when working with C1, however, the whole experience is a nightmare as this showing several issues that I sent to the techs.
I really hope you find a solution, because I would really love that the software would work, even though there are several tools that I will miss from Aperture, but on the other it has some others I welcome.
Cheers,
Daniel

• Capture One
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 04:19:32 pm »

Hi David, yes I did that to try several of the possibilities, however it did not bring anything. I must made a parenthesis, the program is great it is really Aperture alike and I would love that works without major issues, however, my computer is an iMac 27" with a 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 with 32 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 with OS 10.9.4 and should not have any issues when working with C1, however, the whole experience is a nightmare as this showing several issues that I sent to the techs.
I really hope you find a solution, because I would really love that the software would work, even though there are several tools that I will miss from Aperture, but on the other it has some others I welcome.
Cheers,
Daniel

Hi Daniel,

My point is, is that the last communication you had with support you indicated everything was well, and additionally, one trouble shooting suggestion made, we don't know if you tried or not.

We are committed to help, but we can't do so without communication.

As I said, I believe support are making contact to get this resolved.

David

David Grover

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 04:26:24 pm »

Well I bought C1, but still find myself turning to Aperture, but mainly I think because I have the suite of Nik Plug-ins more than anything else. Now if they only worked in C1 ...

StuartOnline

• Travels Photographer Stuart Schaefer
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 11:03:04 am »

Well I bought C1, but still find myself turning to Aperture, but mainly I think because I have the suite of Nik Plug-ins more than anything else. Now if they only worked in C1 ...

I also just picked up C1 while the price was 50% off. Great program but I did have a learning curve. Also wish you could do round trip with plug-ins within C1. Overall with C1 I am getting some great results.

• Capture One
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 06:29:57 am »

Which Nik plugins?  Viveza?  Silver Efex?

Have you tried the Color Editor and our Black and White tool?
David Grover

tuthill

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 12:06:59 pm »

Have you tried the Color Editor and our Black and White tool?

Are there any plans to add plugin support David? I own a version 7 license but, to be frank, would not entertain purchasing future upgrades unless plugin support is added.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 12:19:32 pm »

Topaz Labs Clarity and Detail, to name but two of the most useful ones at a 'basic' editing level. FocusMagic would be sweet as well. They are compatible with all applications that support PS style *.8bf filter plugins.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 12:36:22 pm »

David, I've got the full Nik suite, but mainly use Viveza & SFX2. The u-point process works very well, and I'd miss that, but I'll persevere with C1 & see how it goes

Daniel Salazar

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2014, 02:58:24 pm »

Are there any plans to add plugin support David? I own a version 7 license but, to be frank, would not entertain purchasing future upgrades unless plugin support is added.

Hello tuthill, why should they add support for the plugins when the software by itself is doing the same with an excellent quality, have you had some training?, I would recommend you the one from LuLa, it is really good and makes the move pretty easy.

I personally, find the software really good, trying to adapt and don't think in Aperture anymore, otherwise I will never make the move. I am having some stability issues, which I really hope they will help me fixing soon.

Bob Rockefeller

• macOS, iOS, OM Systems, Epson P800
    • Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2014, 03:25:43 pm »

I love the development tools in C1 and the general work flow; it is very Aperture-like.

But the DAM features are so far behind Aperture's. I've found no way to effectively round-trip from Aperture to C1 to get the benefits of both.

My latest library pains are documented here: http://www.bobrockefeller.com/blog/capture-one-pro-s-sad-library

I'm trying to blog my attempts at converting from Aperture to C1.
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA   www.bobrockefeller.com

tuthill

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2014, 05:29:03 pm »

Hello tuthill, why should they add support for the plugins when the software by itself is doing the same with an excellent quality, have you had some training?, I would recommend you the one from LuLa, it is really good and makes the move pretty easy.

I personally, find the software really good, trying to adapt and don't think in Aperture anymore, otherwise I will never make the move. I am having some stability issues, which I really hope they will help me fixing soon.

They should add plugin support for the same reason Adobe and Apple and others have plugin support.  It's simply easier sometimes to get the effect you want with tools specifically designed for the task at hand ie. Focus Magic, Noiseware, various Nik and Topaz plugins.  The ability to use the Snapheal Pro plugin would address healing needs which are lacking.  I would rather see plugin support than have Phase One attempt to address these needs internally.  Frankly I don't understand the defensive stance I see from some quarters when this shortcoming, IMHO of course, is breached.

ario

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2014, 01:21:58 am »

What i feel is missing is the ability to to export to an external editor, which may be PS, or Nik, or Topaz, or any other, and have the saved edited image brought back to the CO catalog, same as it happens in Lr or Aperture. May be 90% or even more of the editing can be done in CO but still there is something for which sometime I need a more dedicated  tool.

Daniel Salazar

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2014, 11:58:53 pm »

hi Tuthill, is not by a y way a defensive statement. Sorry if my sentence offered you, was not the meaning, my point is, C1 is really good, I think would be good to have the plugins as all the other ones, however this is not necessary as the RAW process is great, they should concentrate their efforts is just two things: DAM and stability. Once they have reached a level as Aperture and Lightroom for Keywords, they could add the possibility to edit in.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 03:24:56 pm by Daniel Salazar »

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2014, 05:00:26 am »

What i feel is missing is the ability to to export to an external editor, which may be PS, or Nik, or Topaz, or any other, and have the saved edited image brought back to the CO catalog, same as it happens in Lr or Aperture. May be 90% or even more of the editing can be done in CO but still there is something for which sometime I need a more dedicated  tool.

Hi,

Capture One allows to adjust the Export recipe into automatically opening the exported file. It can e.g. only do that with 16-bit/channel  TIFF output, and not with 8-b/ch TIFFs or JPEGs by making different recipes for different workflows.

However, since the exported image is now a non-Raw format, it will not be re-imported automatically in C1. It can be manually added to the catalog or session, but C1 is mainly a Raw converter, not an image editor. I'd prefer they stay focused on Raw conversion quality, and the associated catalog functionality, and leave very elaborate postprocessing to dedicated Image Editors, or Plugins from other sources.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

tuthill

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2014, 08:19:29 pm »

hi Tuthill, is not by a y way a defensive statement. Sorry if my sentence offered you, was not the meaning, my point is, C1 is really good, I think would be good to have the plugins as all the other ones, however this is not necessary as the RAW process is great, they should concentrate their efforts is just two things: DAM and stability. Once they have reached a level as Aperture and Lightroom for Keywords, they could add the possibility to edit in.

I wasn't really offended, rather frustrated when people are resistant to what others see as positive improvements and prefer to maintain the status quo.  If the present software fulfills your needs that's great.  It doesn't fulfill mine.

ario

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2014, 12:01:40 am »

Bart, I know that it is possible to open the exported TIFF in an external editor, what is missing in CO is the ability to automatically re-import into the catalog the saved  image (and possibly stacking it with the raw file) as it happens in Lr and Aperture, and this is for me a substantial drawback.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up