Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: LL on schedule?  (Read 40806 times)

bob mccarthy

• http://
LL on schedule?
« on: September 15, 2005, 10:01:04 am »

Did the web going down effect the schedule?

Any chance of posting the final index of what made the program?

Bob

jani

• Øyet
LL on schedule?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 11:54:34 am »

Did the web going down effect the schedule?
I doubt that it could have, Michael is on vacation in Europe, and Chris doesn't appear to be doing his work on the web server, but rather on other computers. Nor do I think Chris has anything to do with the day-to-day management of the forums.

My guess is that Chris's earlier posted schedule still has a chance.
Jan

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
LL on schedule?
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 02:11:51 pm »

Well good news/badnews

(Great that the Forum is back up at least and pretty sprightly too - thanks Neil)

Likely we can remain on schedule but - after two days at the duplicators, Duplium informed me today that the master I had provided was 1Kb over the allowable limit . . . Neither my Apple authoring software nor the several DVD-R that I burned gave me any indication. So, as I write this, the DLT tape machine is whirring and clicking behind me re-writing a new master tape with a miniscule size reduction (the length of transitions between slides in the Africa slideshow). If I can drive it there by 5 and I can get back in the mastering queue that I was already in, we should be on track for delivery starting in the last week of September.

Assuming that all this works, the content is

- African Photo Safari workshop in Tanzania with MR & Andy Biggs - a 1 hour segement (plus slideshow of MR & AB photos)
- Digital Workflow Tutorial part 2:consisting of a close look at Capture One Pro (15 min) and an extensive look at workflow post raw conversion inside Photoshop (30 min)
- A 'Luminous Landscapes' feature critiquing the excellent photography of Norris MacPhadyen, a Toronto-based photographer who has been a workshop participant (20 min. plus slideshow).
- A visit to Phase One in Copenhagen featuring interviews with their CEO and with their Head of Engineering ( 12 & 11 min)

All this and Michael's Intro has put us up to the limit of a DVD-5!

Chris S

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
LL on schedule?
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 07:55:09 pm »

Well, I made it and the DLT tape of the master is fine; this time coming in at 4.35Gig instead of 4.36 . . .

Stay tuned

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
LL on schedule?
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 11:24:35 pm »

Thanks Chris!

Cheers,
Bernard

bob mccarthy

• http://
LL on schedule?
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2005, 07:45:20 am »

So, am I correct that Clyde didn't make the cut?

The next issue is out when? (the one after the upcoming one, with the CB article)

Bob

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
LL on schedule?
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2005, 12:49:10 pm »

The feature on Florida and Clyde Butcher will be in Issue 14. No promises at this point on a release date but I am aiming pre-Christmas.

Chris S

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
LL on schedule?
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2005, 02:31:20 pm »

Hello Chris,

I can just imagine how much work 0.01 of a GB caused you - probably out of all proportion to the numerical size of the problem. Glad it is done and looking forward to the issue.

Cheers,

Mark
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
LL on schedule?
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2005, 03:42:14 pm »

That whole situation was quite bizarre (compounded by the fact that I was a three to four hour drive from the mastering facility). In fact the difference was so picayune that all I did was change the length of a few transitions between slides in one slideshow to make the difference. That took me two minutes or less. Re-muxing and rewriting the DLT and DVDr took about two and a half hours.

A technical DVD guru acquaintance said that the mastering machine operator could fairly easily have worked around the 'oversize' problem but unfortunately, as with most modern facilities, the semi-automated machines are run by button-pushers and report readers - not by properly trained and motivated technicians. "Sorry - mastering your DVD at 1Kb over is impossible!". The strange thing is that Apple's DVD Studio Pro which is finally quite a professional piece of software did not hint at a problem. Who knows? I jumped up and down and hollered but then got in my car and fixed it! Here's hoping it makes it through the rest of the process.

Chris S

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
LL on schedule?
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2005, 03:03:48 pm »

Update: LLVJ-13 to start shipping Monday, September 26th.

All the DVDs are ready for shipping and will go out by mail in batches over the next three or four days.

Since LLVJ-12 took longer to get to California than India, Iceland and New Zealand due to the US Postal Service's glacial performance in that state, the first batches will start with the western USA  :)

boku

• http://www.bobkulonphoto.com
LL on schedule?
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2005, 03:39:54 pm »

Update: LLVJ-13 to start shipping Monday, September 26th.

All the DVDs are ready for shipping and will go out by mail in batches over the next three or four days.

Since LLVJ-12 took longer to get to California than India, Iceland and New Zealand due to the US Postal Service's glacial performance in that state, the first batches will start with the western USA  
Chris, I think you should be aware that NE OHIO gets the DVD last, always. (At least 5 times in a row now.) I usually wait almost FOUR weeks!

Please help.
Bob Kulon

Oh, one more thing...[b

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
LL on schedule?
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2005, 03:52:08 pm »

Maybe there is an exercise fanatic around Toronto who would ride it over to you on a bicycle - would be much faster.  :D

Paul Sumi

LL on schedule?
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2005, 04:30:20 pm »

Since LLVJ-12 took longer to get to California than India, Iceland and New Zealand due to the US Postal Service's glacial performance in that state, the first batches will start with the western USA  :)
Hi Chris,

Thank you!

Best,

Paul (in Los Angeles)

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
LL on schedule?
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2005, 01:50:53 pm »

Chris, I think you should be aware that NE OHIO gets the DVD last, always. (At least 5 times in a row now.) I usually wait almost FOUR weeks! Please help.

Bob, the LLVJs arrive in state-sorted batches at the various US border points within two or three days of each other. Some of these USPS border points apparently have far more efficient clearing procedures than others. Unfortunately there is little we can do beyond getting the DVDs to the USPS expeditiously. Judging from the quantity of complaint that we get from California subscribers - that state is the slowest after NE Ohio!  :)

Chris S

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
LL on schedule?
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2005, 09:30:48 am »

OK start counting the days - all U.S.A. bound LLVJ-13 have shipped as of 09/27/2005 end of business.

Rest-of-the-World ships today Wednesday, September 28th  :D

BTW if you are in the US & have not yet received an email from us telling you that your LLVJ-13 has shipped, consider letting email from me through your spam filter

or

consider updating the email address on your Subscriber Record found by logging in on the Store Page of the L-L website.

Ship emails for Rest-of-the-World go out today

Chris

BlasR

• http://BMRWorldPhotos.com
LL on schedule?
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2005, 06:59:50 am »

i got my dvd yesterday....only problem, i do not have time i'm trying to learn how to used my new toy(p25 with h1)
sorry, but thank you
blas
BlasR
  [url=http://www.BMRWORLDPHOTOS.CO

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
LL on schedule?
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2005, 09:35:33 am »

Enjoy your toy.  :D

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
LL on schedule?
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2005, 10:43:56 am »

A note to those on the 'left coast':

BlasR is in Mass. His DVD shipped a day after yours. Yeehaa - git those USPS ponies running. Maybe they have reached Utah by now  :D

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
LL on schedule?
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2005, 10:48:21 am »

Well Chris, if they've reached Utah they're running alot faster and better than the ponies running from point A to point B in metropolitan Toronto, because the pony carrying mine (to mid-town Toronto - not exactly the boonies) hasn't saddled up to my doorstep just yet.  :D

Paul Sumi

LL on schedule?
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2005, 12:48:16 pm »

So, has anyone west of the Mississippi received their's yet?  :D

Paul (waiting patiently in Los Angeles)
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up