Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: if u only had $2000  (Read 9553 times)

janarto

Re: if u only had $2000
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2014, 04:14:07 am »

A Rolleiflex TLR 2.8 with film

I don't shoot film basically because it's too expensive

The more it goes, the more i think about selling my ricoh GR, using my phone for daily snaps and moving back to film

trevarthan

« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2014, 01:39:54 pm »

There is not a photographer alive that wouldn't improve their art and commerce by NOT upgrading their equipment at every turn.

You know, I really don't understand this mentality. This is like saying that a professional commercial lawn service company should use $200 push mowers for every job. That's just crazy. Top quality photos are made with top quality equipment.

NancyP

« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2014, 01:56:25 pm »

The concept is that we take up too much time and brain space with equipment matters relative to the benefits achieved. Yes, being a geek can be fun, but it doesn't make you a better photographer if you neglect the artistic skills. One can start blaming lack of planning or poor execution of photo plan on outdated equipment instead of one's own bad habits. Truth to tell, my 4 year old digital beginner's DSLR Canon 60D is a miracle of engineering that enables me to do things that I never dreamed of in my film-shooting days. I have a ton of fun with the camera, and as I am not trying to sell huge prints, careful technique and a decent tripod will do very well.

Yes, I am considering getting the upcoming Canon action APS-C DSLR ("7D2"), and the prospect is occupying way too much brain space at the moment. What will this get me? Faster frame rate and better AF relative to the 60D, presumably resulting in a higher "keeper" rate  - but it won't improve my ability to find the birds and position myself to get good light and a clear view of the birds.

trevarthan

« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2014, 02:28:32 pm »

The concept is that we take up too much time and brain space with equipment matters relative to the benefits achieved. Yes, being a geek can be fun, but it doesn't make you a better photographer if you neglect the artistic skills. One can start blaming lack of planning or poor execution of photo plan on outdated equipment instead of one's own bad habits. Truth to tell, my 4 year old digital beginner's DSLR Canon 60D is a miracle of engineering that enables me to do things that I never dreamed of in my film-shooting days. I have a ton of fun with the camera, and as I am not trying to sell huge prints, careful technique and a decent tripod will do very well.

Yes, I am considering getting the upcoming Canon action APS-C DSLR ("7D2"), and the prospect is occupying way too much brain space at the moment. What will this get me? Faster frame rate and better AF relative to the 60D, presumably resulting in a higher "keeper" rate  - but it won't improve my ability to find the birds and position myself to get good light and a clear view of the birds.

Precisely. It all depends on what you want to accomplish. If you're a wedding photographer, you probably need a fast camera, because your business is capturing moments.

If you want to make giant prints, you care about resolution and want to buy a camera with high resolution.

If you photograph portraits, you need at least a few good portrait lenses.

The quality of your equipment is only a piece of the overall equation. Ultimately, the photographer is responsible for the end result. However, it IS a piece. Without the equipment, you can't take a photograph.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2014, 03:02:34 pm »

...Top quality photos are made with top quality equipment.

That is usually correct, though definitely not always. However, the opposite is not true: top quality equipment does not produce top quality photos... top quality photographers do (like James Russel - aka bcooter - they guy you quoted). By the way, I think you missed the crucial part of what he was saying: "at every turn."

melchiorpavone

« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2014, 03:42:01 pm »

That is usually correct, though definitely not always. However, the opposite is not true: top quality equipment does not produce top quality photos... top quality photographers do (like James Russel - aka bcooter - they guy you quoted). By the way, I think you missed the crucial part of what he was saying: "at every turn."

People who say that you don't need the best lenses etc. to make great photos are only half right. Better lenses do provide better potential quality, but you have to be a good craftsman. All things being equal, a good craftsman with better equipment will produce better images.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2014, 05:14:15 pm »

Hi,

Starting with a clean sheet I would buy either a decent camera with a kit lens or a decent camera with a premium zoom. I would add a short or long zoom to fit my budget.

Most of my best images were shot using a Sony Alpha 700 with 16-80/3.5-4.5 zoom lens (a premium zoom). The Alpha 700 has been replaced with a Sony Alpha 77 SLT, but I still use that zoom. The Alpha 77/16-80/3.5-4.5 combo is my favoured street shooting equipment.

For landscape I use a full frame or even MFD, but I honestly would say that an APS-C system, optimally used is a pretty good tool for almost any task.

Subject selection, composition, processing, proper technique are all more important than the technical quality of the image.

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2014, 05:25:08 pm »

Stock in Apple.

logeeker

« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2014, 08:43:06 am »

Sony a7.