Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson Native Resolution (360)  (Read 22667 times)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Epson Native Resolution (360)
« Reply #80 on: June 10, 2014, 09:57:13 am »

Hi Andrew,
Get ready to be shocked ... :o
Sorry, nothing at all shocking. I sent the same image out of LR but set the resize to 720, got the warning triangle. The output looks virtually identical to the naked eye compared to the other three prints and slightly softer under a loupe. Nothing surprising, shocking or unexpected. And about a year, year and a half ago I did a Webinar on resizing and tested Perfect Resize and found nothing at all useful in the product. It took longer, far longer than Photoshop or LR to resample and again, produced nothing on the print I saw that I found at all useful compared to using the other products to their fullest (meaning proper capture sharpening was more important than the various upsizing options). Don't know what some of you are smoking but share it with me please <g>. I see nothing on this end, with the OS and equipment I own that warrants doing any more than sending the native image resolution to the Epson from LR, assuming it's native PPI is above about 180-200. The Roman 16 images are of very, very high quality clean digital capture and I'm just not seeing anything on the print that leads me to believe the KISS approach isn't just as good as sampling up. There is text on the test image, it again looks a tad softer at 720/Finest detail out of LR with a native document resolution of 300ppi.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #81 on: June 10, 2014, 11:08:26 am »

Sorry, nothing at all shocking. I sent the same image out of LR but set the resize to 720, got the warning triangle. The output looks virtually identical to the naked eye compared to the other three prints and slightly softer under a loupe. Nothing surprising, shocking or unexpected.

And somewhat expected, because LR doesn't add resolution, and you do not say that you optimize output sharpening after upsampling.

And about a year, year and a half ago I did a Webinar on resizing and tested Perfect Resize and found nothing at all useful in the product. It took longer, far longer than Photoshop or LR to resample and again, produced nothing on the print I saw that I found at all useful compared to using the other products to their fullest (meaning proper capture sharpening was more important than the various upsizing options).

In which case I'd suggest you to not use it. Many others do report output image improvements, obviously depending on the original image content and quality, and output sharpening.

Don't know what some of you are smoking but share it with me please <g>.

Maybe an open mind that acknowledges that when many others do see the differences, it might be not only measurable but actually true ... But, by all means, do not upsample if you can't see the difference and think your clients also cannot see it ...

Like the doctor said, if it hurts when you push there, stop pushing.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #82 on: June 10, 2014, 11:34:23 am »

And somewhat expected, because LR doesn't add resolution, and you do not say that you optimize output sharpening after upsampling.
Output sharpening was applied in the print module for all 4 prints.
In which case I'd suggest you to not use it
Based on these and other tests, I don't. It's why Mark and others have suggested we each test what is proposed and come up with our own conclusions.
Many others do report output image improvements, obviously depending on the original image content and quality, and output sharpening.
Well there are variables including the OS alone. I've specified the printer, image type, media and OS I used, I see nothing useful or for that matter visible sending out native versus interpolated data.
Maybe an open mind that acknowledges that when many others do see the differences, it might be not only measurable but actually true
I have an open mind, that's why I spent the time again, just this week to run the tests. My mind is open, so are my eyes. My eyes, with and without the aid of a very good loupe tell me it's a waste of my time to do anything other than set the LR print module to native output resolution for data that falls within the 180 or 200ppi range and up.
Like the doctor said, if it hurts when you push there, stop pushing.
In this case, it doesn't hurt, it has zero feeling: upsizing did absolutely nothing visisble. Maybe with your printer, image and OS, you see something better upsizing. I can't replicate anything on this end that is visisble with my nose touching the print paper!
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up