Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Schneider PC-TS Super-Angulon 4.5 / 28 HM Aspheric  (Read 20335 times)

paulraphael

Re: Schneider PC-TS Super-Angulon 4.5 / 28 HM Aspheric
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2015, 12:19:18 pm »

I have great respect for Schneider generally, but feel they've been startlingly lazy when it comes to 35mm optics. While Zeiss designs new lenses for scratch, Schneider in every case repurposes a medium format design. Usually an older one. Unfortunately they have to dig through their attic for designs with sufficiently strong retrofocus to work on a 35mm slr. These are usually lower performing lenses.

The exception so far is their 90mm pc-ts. It's long enough that it needs no retrofocus, so they're able to use a very simple, but still state-of-the art medium format design. This lens is as good as anything.

I exchanged some emails about the 28mm pc-ts with technicians at Schneider. I wanted to find out if the lens was just a repurposing of the 28mm f4.5 lens for Mamiya, which seemed to be a middling performer. I was told that the PC-TS was indeed based on this lens, but that it was being recalculated by Hildegard Ebesmeyer for "an improved performance." Whatever that means. At any rate, I had sort of high hopes, considering that Ms. Ebesmeyer was credited with designing the 110mm Super Symmar XL that everyone flips out over.

But only sort-of high hopes, since I don't have $8000+ plus to replace my current shift lens.

At any rate, even without reading L.C.'s review, the lens seems like a bummer. I really wish Schneider would stop phoning in these half-ass designs for 35mm. It would be good for everyone if Zeiss had some serious competition. We know from the medium format world that Schneider is more than up to the task when they put their minds to it.

alpraphoto

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2015, 01:52:19 am »

Maybe someone has an alternative suggestion, but I'm interested in this lens mainly for one reason, that is the tripod mount on the lens barrel. I'd kill to have this on my canon 17 and 24s because it would mean I can stitch multiple images together without the register problems created by the lens movement when I shift. I can still do this with a bit of fiddling in the stitching, but I then have an effective wider angle of view than I want. Ideally I want the same angle of view that I get from my 90mm on the 5x4. My fantasy lens would be a T/S Zeiss 35mm with a lens barrel tripod mount...

marc aurel

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2015, 02:53:37 am »

Maybe someone has an alternative suggestion, but I'm interested in this lens mainly for one reason, that is the tripod mount on the lens barrel. I'd kill to have this on my canon 17 and 24s because it would mean I can stitch multiple images together without the register problems created by the lens movement when I shift. I can still do this with a bit of fiddling in the stitching, but I then have an effective wider angle of view than I want. Ideally I want the same angle of view that I get from my 90mm on the 5x4. My fantasy lens would be a T/S Zeiss 35mm with a lens barrel tripod mount...

Alprafoto -
No need to kill anybody. Do you know the Zoerk Rear Shift Adapters? They do what you need for the TS-E 17 and 24. There is a version and for the Nikon PC-Es too (http://www.photoscala.de/Artikel/Neue-Adapter-von-Zoerk). An alternative but more expensive is the tse-collar distributed by hartblei (http://www.hartblei.de/en/canon-tse-collar.htm).
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 08:56:08 am by marc aurel »

Gary Ferguson

• http://
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2015, 06:59:49 am »

For many years I used Phase One backs on a Linhof M679. I was never really comfortable with the marriage between a medium format digital back and a technical camera, but hung on because of the occasional need for lens movements. Eventually I managed to find a retro focus Schneider 55mm PCS lens in a Phase One mount which covered the majority of my lens shift needs, so I trialled the lens and was delighted to discover that it delivered all the IQ I could want. Consequently I sold the Linhof.

keith_cooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2015, 10:19:35 am »

Would this help?

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/reviews/accessories/ppl_tse-adapter.html

I use the TS-E17 and 24 in a lot of my work and have found I don't need it very often - opening one eye, then just the other is enough to see if there are going to be problems. Most of my stitching is with up/down shifts though.
bye for now -- Keith
[url=http://www.nor

paulraphael

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2015, 12:00:02 pm »

If anyone's seriously curious about this lens, it's available for rental at lensrentals.com. Not for cheap, of course, but reasonable for researching a huge purchase.

If there are features that seem valuable to you, it would seem a better idea to trust your own tests over a technology blogger's. Only you know how you plan to use the thing.

mcnash

• archiframed
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2016, 01:31:21 pm »

has anyone had the chance to test the Schneider PC/TS 28mm in the meantime?
There is so little information on the web...

RobertJ

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2016, 05:40:25 pm »

Buy a Zeiss 28mm 1.4 Otus and a Cambo Actus, and you're done.

mcnash

• archiframed
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2016, 06:28:54 am »

Buy a Zeiss 28mm 1.4 Otus and a Cambo Actus, and you're done.

not really the same...

stevesanacore

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2016, 10:19:17 pm »

has anyone had the chance to test the Schneider PC/TS 28mm in the meantime?
There is so little information on the web...

Considering how good the Canon TS-E lenses are, the Schneider seems like a very costly solution to a nonexistent problem, in my opinion.
We don't know what we don't know.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up