Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: DxO: The New Leica S test  (Read 38377 times)

bcooter

Re: DxO: The New Leica S test
« Reply #140 on: March 29, 2014, 04:05:11 pm »

FYI,   Shooting a commercial production, I've seen a fair amount of moire on lightly ribbed and smooth sweaters.

Not color but color and pattern moire, using the leica 120.

First I freaked, but in lightroom the moire tool worked magic and I really mean magic.  I can't believe it could take moire bands out of a ribbed sweater without destroying detail, but it did.

I haven't seen it on 99.% of the project, but obviously if there is something slightly off, that's the image a client selects.

Bottom line it was a 5 minute fix (honestly) and I can't say it was the leica or the 120, I just think it was messing with the camera gods.

Anyway, the camera worked great, still does, no other issues, but make sure you learn the moire tool in lightroom because it's amazing.

IMO

BC

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #141 on: March 29, 2014, 10:05:15 pm »

Moiré just means your system is sharp. I guess you cannot really unfocus, but you could put something that blurs very slightly in the light path, eg, a filter with enough thumbrints :)

Edmund

FYI,   Shooting a commercial production, I've seen a fair amount of moire on lightly ribbed and smooth sweaters.

Not color but color and pattern moire, using the leica 120.

First I freaked, but in lightroom the moire tool worked magic and I really mean magic.  I can't believe it could take moire bands out of a ribbed sweater without destroying detail, but it did.

I haven't seen it on 99.% of the project, but obviously if there is something slightly off, that's the image a client selects.

Bottom line it was a 5 minute fix (honestly) and I can't say it was the leica or the 120, I just think it was messing with the camera gods.

Anyway, the camera worked great, still does, no other issues, but make sure you learn the moire tool in lightroom because it's amazing.

IMO

BC
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Chris Livsey

« Reply #142 on: March 30, 2014, 04:16:30 am »

Moiré just means your system is sharp. I guess you cannot really unfocus, but you could put something that blurs very slightly in the light path, eg, a filter with enough thumbrints :)

Edmund

Pre Photoshop used to be a smear of Vaseline, Petroleum jelly, on a UV filter, how much depended on the bride  ;D

bcooter

« Reply #143 on: March 30, 2014, 05:34:15 am »

I should have named this lightroom is magic, because of the few times I've seen heavy pattern moire it was nearly always on smooth blouse and shirts with a slight pattern like a rib or a very small weave and I've seen it on different cameras from Canon to Leaf to Phase now Leica and if you catch it when shooting (which we normally do) we either pull back a fraction or if possible move in and it usually goes away.

This was an odd example and was very heavy moire in multiple places and angles of the image.   Our retoucher wanted a close pose to retouch the effected areas and I just thought I'd try lightroom's moire tool.

I really didn't think it would work and there was some slight softening of the ribs of the top, but very slight.  Nothing that anybody would notice, though the pattern moire was gone.  Really amazed me and I don't know if it works like this all the time, but  . . .

IMO

BC
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up