Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Some reflections on MFD after 9 months of use  (Read 20884 times)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Some reflections on MFD after 9 months of use
« on: February 26, 2014, 11:27:38 am »

Hi,

I bought a MFD equipment last summer. Here is a summary of my experience:

1) What did I buy?

P45+, Hasselblad 555ELD and five lenses plus a Hasselblad Flexbody

2) Why did I buy?

Wanted to find out about MFD. Also, I bought two Hasselblad/Zeiss lenses and wanted to explore their full potential.

3) Do I like the stuff?

Yes!

4) Is it better than D800E/Sony A7r or whatever?

I don't know. I have no Nikon and no Sony A7r

5) Is it better than my Sony Alpha equipment (Alpha 900, 77, and 99, and half a dozen lenses)?

There is a gain in resolution.

6) Is DR better on P45+ compared to the Sony's I have?

No.

7) Is colour rendition better?

I don't know. There are some issues when I use LR5.3 which is my favourite raw converter, but I have solved them by "calibration". I have also tested C1.

8) Is aliasing an issue?

Yes, indeed. I see aliasing on many pictures. But, it may not matter for many users.

9) Do I use the stuff?

Yes!

10) If I do something important, will I use the P45+ or resort to DSLR?

I would resort to the DSLR, but the Hasselblad 555ELD/P45+ combo is nothing for fast shooting. Would I have new Phase One/Rollei/Hasselblad/Contax stuff it may be different.

11) What is the main advantage I see?

Sharpness.

12) What are the main disadvantages I see?

- Cost
- Flexibility, two zooms on my DSLR cover more ground than my five primes on the Hasselblad
- Lack of live view

13) Are the pictures using MF better?

May be, may be not. I don't know.

14) Are the MF pictures better "out of camera"?

Interesting question. When I start working on the image I often feel the MFDB has a better starting point, but in the end I often find that the DSLR image is the one needing less work.

15) Is the aspect ratio better?

Interesting question. Using primes and 49x37 format leads sometimes to better images.

16) Would I buy the MFD equipment again?

No.

17) Do I regard it as a bad investment?

Yes!

18) Do I enjoy it?

Yes!

19) Much of my photography involves travel by air. How do I handle it?

- If in doubt, he DSLR comes with me. MFD is second tier.
- I can pack DSLR with two zooms, the 555 ELD with the P45+ into cabin luggage and keep weight limits. Other lenses go into a B&W hard case that goes as checked luggage. The case is built like a tank.

20) I will go on a workshop, what equipment will I take?

- Both equipments go into the trunk of the car.
- But I think the DSLR will see most use. Using the DSLR is much more efficient.

21) Can I see differences in printed images?

- 17" width I don't think so.
- 30" width, probably.

22) Is MFD fun to use?

It depends on you definition of fun…

Best regards
Erik
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 04:14:02 pm by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
Re: Some reflections on MFD after 9 months of use
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 12:05:10 pm »

Erik, beautifully put. I know some will object many of your items but in general that's how I feel about the dlsr/MFD experience from my seat located in my living room and out and far of the stadium. I refrain to make any statement regarding MFD with the exception of price and limitations. I don't own and never owned a digital MF back or camera.

Right now, I'm retired (2 years) of commercial photography cause I got involved with another more profitable activity. Photography is nowadays purely a hobby but everyday I enjoy and learn from everybody's posts.  As photography is not finished to me just yet, it is a joy and illumination to "experience" the medium format saga via personal experiences in fora.

Because of my new activity, I may end up in a very few years a little more wealthier (less poor). This alone could provide the ticket to more expensive rigs. I just turned 61 and as such I'm getting close to engaging the final sprint. We'll see how this issues will untangle in due time. Very interesting times for passionated photographers. Thanks.

Eduardo

« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 12:15:14 pm by uaiomex »

jerome_m

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 01:04:29 pm »

Since I also bought a MFD camera last summer I can also give a summary of my experience:

1) What did I buy?

I first tried an H3D-31 and liked it so much that I got an H3DII-50, plus a few lenses and the HTS.

2) Why did I buy it?

After having tried an RB 67, I wanted the convenience of digital. I still have the RB 67.

3) Do I like the stuff?

Yes, immensely.

I certainly find it better than the D800, which I also own. The reason is mainly the lenses and colour rendition on the D800.

5) Is it better than my Sony Alpha equipment (Alpha 900 and about 20 lenses)?

There is a gain in resolution, but I still prefer the A900 for some stuff. And there are some lenses in A-mount that have no equivalent.

6) Is DR better on H3DII compared to the Sony's I have?

I don't care. It is plenty on both.

Not really. Either camera gives pleasant skin tones (better than the Nikon). I don't normally run a color checker calibration (unless I try to reproduce paintings), so I did not check colour accuracy.

8) Is aliasing an issue?

Yes, I sometimes notice aliasing. Phocus can somewhat remove it.

9) Do I use the stuff?

Yes.

10) If I do something important, will I use the P45+ or resort to DSLR?

Depends. The DSLRs are faster, smaller with a wider choice of lenses. The MFD is there if I have the time and need the resolution.

Lens rendition. Resolution.

Flexibility, weight and size.

Usually, yes.

There are no pictures "out of camera" on the H3DII, which cannot produce jpegs. I find that Phocus does a pretty good job at processing the pictures quasi automatically, which is the closest to "out of camera".

To my surprise, I find I prefer it. I expected the opposite, since I often wish the camera were using a wider aspect ratio on the DSLR.

Yes.

I don't regard cameras as investment. This being said, I could probably make a profit selling the stuff back, since I bought it for a very decent price.

18) Do I enjoy it?

Yes.

19) Some of my photography involved travel by air. How do I handle it?

I didn't take the MFD on air travel. Maybe I should have.

I don't like to show off, so I would probably take the A900 or D800 to avoid questions from other participants.

Yes, on lens rendition.

22) Is MFD fun to use?

I find it lots of fun.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 01:10:49 pm »

Eric,

Interesting report and thanks for posting.

I was not surprised on the DR, as the A99 was first shipped in 2103? I believe, whereas the P45+ in March 2008 (it did receive 2 major firmware updates about 1 year later that helped).  The A99 has the same sensor as the D610/D600, so no doubt the DR will be better.  I was curious though if you had the latest firmware on the P45+? 

You made the comment you would not buy MF again.  Based on what you are seeing from the IQ250 and it's DR, if the price was near to the same as what you paid for the P45+ (about 5 years after announcement of the P45+) would you reconsider?  The reason I ask, is you have excellent Hassi lenses and just can't see a 35mm solution working as well with 45 to 50MP due to the current resolving power of the 35mm lenses available.   Where as the Hassi glass you have should be just as good on a larger MF back, say 4 years from now.

Paul C.
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Joe Towner

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 01:11:24 pm »

To Erik, did you shoot anything long exposure?  How did AF/MF focus play into your enjoyment of the 555ELD?
t: @PNWMF

haring

• http://www.haringphotography.com
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 01:23:31 pm »

"17) Do I regard it as a bad investment?

Yes!"

I think this summarizes it.....

Joe Towner

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 01:28:34 pm »

Since I'm 7 months in, I'll sum up my reflections as well :)

1) What did I buy?

H4D-50

2) Why did I buy it?

Phase One did their IQ World Tour, and shooting with one, I was hooked.  I decided on the H due to cost and availability.

3) Do I like the stuff?

I can't go back to 35mm.

It's different.  As a Canon shooter, I have lots of experience with the 1Ds II, 7D and 5D mk3,  and I get things from the Hass I can't from from my Canon gear.

5) Is it better than my Canon equipment?

Yes, but at a huge time, weight, cost, restrictions trade off.  

6) Is DR better on H4D compared to the Canons I have?

Yes

Yes

8) Is aliasing an issue?

I don't see much based on what I shoot.

9) Do I use the stuff?

Daily

10) If I do something important, will I use the H4D or resort to DSLR?

I'll drag along a DSL body/lens combo that I can cover 80% of what I'm shooting, but I rely on the Hass for finished product.

Resolution.

Flexibility, weight, size, cost, interest from other photographers or random guy on the street.

Yes

Everything gets processed.

It doesn't hinder me

Yes.

Once I pay it off I'll let you know.

18) Do I enjoy it?

Yes.

19) Some of my photography involved travel by air. How do I handle it?

Packed everything as carry on - any one asks questions I'll ask if they want to be on the hook for $75k.

Hass - the whole point is to use it, so why not use the primary toy.

Yes - without a doubt - the reason for this resolution is big printed images.

22) Is MFD fun to use?

Without question.

23) What bad habits have you picked up since shooting MFD?

I look at large prints in clothing retailers and critique their execution, lighting, and lack of resolution for wall size prints.
t: @PNWMF

tho_mas

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 02:42:59 pm »

1) What did I buy?
P45, P21+, Contax 645 (2 bodies, 7 lenses, lens hood bellow, WLF, vertical grip, 3 different split image matte screens), Cambo WRS, Digitar 43XL, Digaron 70HR

2) Why did I buy?
back then DSLRs were mainly 10MP with APS-C sized sensors ...

3) Do I like the stuff?
very much.

4) Is it better than the Sony A7r?
different

5) Is it better than my Sony A7R equipment (FE 2.8/35 ZA, PC-Distagon 2.8/35, ZM 2.0/50, Tele Tessar 4.0/85)?
Much better built quality (with Sony lenses there is large sample variation and possible shutter shock with longer lenses. The ZM lenses are super ... but most lens adapters are simply crap). MF/LF handles much better. Composing with MF/LF is easier for me. Much better wide angle choices (large format lenses but also for instance the Distagon 3.5/35mm is a great lens). I do like the look better (I assume due to the lenses in conjunction with the larger sensor).

6) Is DR better on the DBs compared to the Sony I have?
No. But I don’t feel limited with the DR of my DBs ...

I like it better.

8 ) Is aliasing an issue?
I do see aliasing on some pictures. It only matters when pixel peeping at 100% ... it doesn’t matter at all in prints (particularly not in large prints)

9) Do I use the stuff?
Yes.

10) If I do something important, will I use one of the DBs or resort to DSLR?
MFD / Tech Cam

Exchangeability of the DBs (can be used on MF and on LF). Handling. Look. Evenness of the captures. Sharpness. Usually excellent service (Sony service is a joke).

Low sensor sensitivity. MFD requires quite some light.

Yes ... but this is possibly because I am still not really familiar with the A7R.

There are no OOC pictures.

I do prefer the 4:3 format.

Yes.

No.

18) Do I enjoy it?
Yes.

I only take the tech cam and a light tripod. With my newly aquired A7R things may change. Possibly I will simply add the A7R and 2 lenses to my case... but it’s highly unlikely I will replace the tech cam & DB with the A7R when I have to carry a small case.

I won’t go to a workshop

don’t know yet (still have to print some serious work shot with the A7R).

22) Is MFD fun to use?
I enjoy the exchangeability of the DBs and the finders (and screens) on the Contax. I also enjoy the workflow with the tech cam. And, again, I much prefer the handling of both the systems over shooting the A7R. Too, meanwhile I know my kit very well, so I can trust it. In this sense it’s „fun“ to use.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 02:49:00 pm by tho_mas »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 03:04:56 pm »

Hi,

I actually like the "Blad", my initial plan was to start with the "Blad" and go on to a Hartblei HCam, but right now I don't feel like investing more in MFD.

Best regards
Erik

Erik, after 9 months of use do you think a 500 series camera was the best choice as a platform for MFD? Did you consider other platforms? Given your time again would you make the same choice of digital platform?
Erik Kaffehr

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 03:20:18 pm »

Hi,

The main reason I would not buy into MFD again is that resolution is the only advantage I see, except the fact I like shooting with the equipment. The other factor is a bit that the optical quality of the old lenses is not so good. The Distagon 40 pretty much falls apart on the P45+, the Distagon 50 doesn't impress, the Planar 80 is excellent in the center but I have some concerns about the corners. The Sonnar 150/4 is really good, except some bokeh fringing. The macro Planar is an en excellent lens for close ups but not really at infinity.

Now, I know that there are some excellent lenses around, like the 40/4 CFE IF and the 100/3.5.

I would expect that we will see 50-54 MP mirrorless in a year or two. Such a camera, paired with excellent lenses like Sigma Art or Zeiss is where I guess that my future is.

Best regards
Erik

Eric,

Interesting report and thanks for posting.

I was not surprised on the DR, as the A99 was first shipped in 2103? I believe, whereas the P45+ in March 2008 (it did receive 2 major firmware updates about 1 year later that helped).  The A99 has the same sensor as the D610/D600, so no doubt the DR will be better.  I was curious though if you had the latest firmware on the P45+? 

You made the comment you would not buy MF again.  Based on what you are seeing from the IQ250 and it's DR, if the price was near to the same as what you paid for the P45+ (about 5 years after announcement of the P45+) would you reconsider?  The reason I ask, is you have excellent Hassi lenses and just can't see a 35mm solution working as well with 45 to 50MP due to the current resolving power of the 35mm lenses available.   Where as the Hassi glass you have should be just as good on a larger MF back, say 4 years from now.

Paul C.
Erik Kaffehr

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 03:36:47 pm »

Hi,

Just to elaborate on my position. In general I use focal lengths between 10 and 800 mm. I have seldom seen a lens that was to long or to short. Carrying a 24-70 and a 70-400 with a couple of extenders and an ultra wide covers pretty much of my shooting needs.

I seldom travel alone. If I am alone I can spend three hours at a spot but if I have company it may be just one hour and I may need the most of it. This year I plan to go to the Dolomites, I will go by car so weight is not an issue, but a part of that trip will be a workshop. I think that it is a great way to find new views and meet nice people but you need to move along. Also, if I'm going for a walk I don't want to carry 15 kg of kit, perhaps 8 kg will do the job.

An important factor is live view, whenever I put the camera on tripod I use LV and focus at maximum magnification. I simply know I have dead on focus, it is important to me.

Also, as I said earlier, I often fly. Whenever I fly weight is a consideration.

Best regards
Erik

I only take the tech cam and a light tripod. With my newly aquired A7R things may change. Possibly I will simply add the A7R and 2 lenses to my case... but it’s highly unlikely I will replace the tech cam & DB with the A7R when I have to carry a small case.

I won’t go to a workshop

don’t know yet (still have to print some serious work shot with the A7R).

22) Is MFD fun to use?
I enjoy the exchangeability of the DBs and the finders (and screens) on the Contax. I also enjoy the workflow with the tech cam. And, again, I much prefer the handling of both the systems over shooting the A7R. Too, meanwhile I know my kit very well, so I can trust it. In this sense it’s „fun“ to use.

Erik Kaffehr

Ken R

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2014, 03:40:59 pm »

1) What did I buy?

I bought a PhaseOne IQ160 in May 2013 from Digital Transitions in NYC and a ArcaSwiss RM3Di + Rodenstock 40mm HR lens. Shortly thereafter got a 70mm HR lens and a Hasselblad H1 w/ 80mm Lens.

2) Why did I buy?

I wanted more resolution to make large prints of landscape images, deeper color and more lens movements for composing images, focal plane control and stitching.

3) Do I like the stuff?

Yes. a LOT.

4) Is it better than the Nikon D800E etc?

Resolution and color is better than any camera I have ever used including the D800E. Color differentiation is a huge improvement specially in landscape scenes.

5) Is it better than my Canon 1Ds3 and 5D3?

Of course, It is not a close call.

6) Is DR better compared to the DR leaders Sony/Nikon D800E sensor?

I did not notice much difference in that regard on the typical scenes I work with. DR is a HUGE improvement compared to my Canons and also a significant improvement compared to the Pentax 645D I had.

Color differentiation is MUCH better so great care must be taken when adjusting color and white balance since a wide range of adjustments are possible while still maintaining awesome image quality.

8)Is aliasing an issue?

Not at all and I have even shot intricate clothing for fashion designers.

9) Do I use the stuff?

Yes.

10) If I do something important, will I use the IQ160?

I use it whenever I can.

Resolution, lens quality, movements (Arca), color differentiation, file depth, medium format dof look when using the hasselblad wide open.

Too slow and heavy for family vacations :)

YES.

no such thing but overall C1pro gets it very close to where I want them to be.

Yes, 3:4 is better for portraits than 2:3. Period.

Yes.

Depends on what you do. For some professionals and enthusiasts it can take your work to another level of quality.

18) Do I enjoy it?

Yes. A lot.

I pack the kit (arca) on a LowPro Flipside Sport 20L. Fits under even small commuter plane's seats.

If its a landscape workshop then the Arca/40mm & 70mm lenses/IQ160/Filters kit.

Yes :), a LOT.

22) Is MFD fun to use?

Lots of fun.

I want more lenses :)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2014, 03:44:11 pm »

Hi,

I don't shoot long exposures normally. With camera on tripod I don't use AF, ever, but I often use the AF button as a focusing tool. With the present generation of DSLRs I essentially use LV and max magnification whenever the camera is on tripod.

I spent a serious effort on focusing on the 555 ELD, and it works pretty well for me. Here is what I did:

1) Got me a Zeiss Victory monucular. That gives me 9X magnification
2) Had my optician making a ocular for my vision.

I cannot use the both at the same time, so I have two oculars which I can change between :-(

Also, I shoot the MFD often  in the range f/11 - f/16 to get a bit more DoF.

Best regards
Erik

To Erik, did you shoot anything long exposure?  How did AF/MF focus play into your enjoyment of the 555ELD?
Erik Kaffehr

tho_mas

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2014, 03:46:56 pm »

An important factor is live view, whenever I put the camera on tripod I use LV and focus at maximum magnification. I simply know I have dead on focus, it is important to me.
dead on focus is also important to me. But I don't need live view to achieve accurate focus. I do like the live view on the A7R... but I don't need it.

Whenever I fly weight is a consideration.
a small tech cam with 2 lenses is certainly easier to carry then your DSLR with 2 zooms. 2 lenses on a tech cam will not cover the respective range from 10mm to 800mm, though ...

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2014, 03:49:28 pm »

Hi,

My take is that a high res MFD kit on a technical camera makes a lot of sense. Happiness for me would be a CMOS sensor with small pixels (around 4 microns) and live view on a technical camera. Unfortunately, it is nothing we can buy today and I would not be able to afford it. But I would love it!

Ah, I almost forgot it! It should use DNG or an another non proprietary raw format.

Best regards
Erik

1) What did I buy?

I bought a PhaseOne IQ160 in May 2013 from Digital Transitions in NYC and a ArcaSwiss RM3Di + Rodenstock 40mm HR lens. Shortly thereafter got a 70mm HR lens and a Hasselblad H1 w/ 80mm Lens.

2) Why did I buy?

I wanted more resolution to make large prints of landscape images, deeper color and more lens movements for composing images, focal plane control and stitching.

3) Do I like the stuff?

Yes. a LOT.

4) Is it better than the Nikon D800E etc?

Resolution and color is better than any camera I have ever used including the D800E. Color differentiation is a huge improvement specially in landscape scenes.

5) Is it better than my Canon 1Ds3 and 5D3?

Of course, It is not a close call.

6) Is DR better compared to the DR leaders Sony/Nikon D800E sensor?

I did not notice much difference in that regard on the typical scenes I work with. DR is a HUGE improvement compared to my Canons and also a significant improvement compared to the Pentax 645D I had.

Color differentiation is MUCH better so great care must be taken when adjusting color and white balance since a wide range of adjustments are possible while still maintaining awesome image quality.

8)Is aliasing an issue?

Not at all and I have even shot intricate clothing for fashion designers.

9) Do I use the stuff?

Yes.

10) If I do something important, will I use the IQ160?

I use it whenever I can.

Resolution, lens quality, movements (Arca), color differentiation, file depth, medium format dof look when using the hasselblad wide open.

Too slow and heavy for family vacations :)

YES.

no such thing but overall C1pro gets it very close to where I want them to be.

Yes, 3:4 is better for portraits than 2:3. Period.

Yes.

Depends on what you do. For some professionals and enthusiasts it can take your work to another level of quality.

18) Do I enjoy it?

Yes. A lot.

I pack the kit (arca) on a LowPro Flipside Sport 20L. Fits under even small commuter plane's seats.

If its a landscape workshop then the Arca/40mm & 70mm lenses/IQ160/Filters kit.

Yes :), a LOT.

22) Is MFD fun to use?

Lots of fun.

I want more lenses :)

« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 03:52:24 pm by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2014, 04:05:17 pm »

Hi,

My main interest is in the Hartblei HCam, that can take most lenses. An Alpa FPS would be an alternative. The Hartblei was on my long term plan, but I am not sure any longer.

I am pretty sure there is a 54 MP A9 on the horizon. That camera with an adapter for Canon TS lenses may be what the doctor has ordered. Meanwhile I have my P45+ and my Flexbody.

Best regards
Erik

dead on focus is also important to me. But I don't need live view to achieve accurate focus. I do like the live view on the A7R... but I don't need it.
a small tech cam with 2 lenses is certainly easier to carry then your DSLR with 2 zooms. 2 lenses on a tech cam will not cover the respective range from 10mm to 800mm, though ...

Erik Kaffehr

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2014, 04:25:18 pm »

Yes and no. As I said I enjoy the stuff and I have no plan to sell it off. But I see little benefit over the DSLRs I have and I would probably have similar benefits with a 36 MP full frame and a few excellent lenses.

Best regards
Erik

"17) Do I regard it as a bad investment?

Yes!"

I think this summarizes it.....
Erik Kaffehr

rgmoore

• http://
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2014, 04:29:00 pm »

I have very much enjoyed large format and medium format with film.  One of the issues that keeps me on the fence regarding moving to MFDB is that I don't have a need to
print large which is a frequently reported virtue of digital medium format.  Most of my prints are A3 and rarely A2.  Like some others I have experienced challenges with D800
color and skin tones.

For those who have seen significant differences in printed images from MFDB files,  at what print sizes do those differences emerge?  (I am in the process of arranging to rent an
H4D-40,  but I am trying to gather as much information as I can.) Also, for portrait work are there benefits in color rendition and skin tones from FF sensors like P65+ or Credo 60
compared to entry level cropped sensors like Credo 40 or H4D-40?  I have no need for wide angle lenses and do understand the differences in DOF.

Appreciate any thought or suggestions.

Richard

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2014, 04:43:11 pm »

Hi,

I feel that I can not see any difference between my P45+ and my Sony SLT 99 in A2-size prints. A2 is my normal print size, but I still have few prints from my P45+. Larger sizes, like 70x100 cm there is probably an advantage.

Regarding colour rendition I have done some tests recently and I find my Sony SLT99 is more accurate (in technical terms) compared to my P45+, but that doesn't say a lot about visual impression of skin tones.

Some users have recently reported that Capture One has better skin tones on the D800 with the profiles for IQ-250 than with the C1 D800 profiles. I guess colour rendition may be more dependent on camera profiles than sensor, at least in some cases.

Best regards
Erik

I have very much enjoyed large format and medium format with film.  One of the issues that keeps me on the fence regarding moving to MFDB is that I don't have a need to
print large which is a frequently reported virtue of digital medium format.  Most of my prints are A3 and rarely A2.  Like some others I have experienced challenges with D800
color and skin tones.

For those who have seen significant differences in printed images from MFDB files,  at what print sizes do those differences emerge?  (I am in the process of arranging to rent an
H4D-40,  but I am trying to gather as much information as I can.) Also, for portrait work are there benefits in color rendition and skin tones from FF sensors like P65+ or Credo 60
compared to entry level cropped sensors like Credo 40 or H4D-40?  I have no need for wide angle lenses and do understand the differences in DOF.

Appreciate any thought or suggestions.

Richard

Erik Kaffehr

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2014, 08:08:24 pm »

Erik,
I think the primary thing you've found for yourself is how individual the results can be and how much the operator can affect the outcome - regardless of which camera is used.   

In the end you are testing a system of components not just a digital back - if you go from capture to print - any place in the chain …. lens + camera +back + processing + printer + paper type ….  can become the weak link.  And of course I'm sorry to tell you that sometimes the operator can also be the weak link.  If you don't see a big difference in prints between your different cameras, then perhaps you should take a long step back think about why that is. What is your weak link? You may need to improve that before you see any different results.

I happen to prefer using my Hy6 for its ergonomics and big viewfinder more than my other cameras that the image quality isn't the the only factor anyhow.  Of course I do see a big difference between my MFDB images and my other cameras and that makes it even better for me.   I also see a difference between digital capture and film too, so I do shoot film sometimes as well. 

Rolleiflex USA
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up