Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some reflections on MFD after 9 months of use  (Read 20879 times)

laughingbear

Re: Some reflections on MFD after 9 months of use
« Reply #80 on: June 24, 2014, 03:25:21 am »

Thank you Geoff. Yes, I did have a great time!

Dave

Which is evident.

My spontaneous reaction when I saw the Flow Meter picture, I felt it was tempting to photoshop this and put two Bowers & Wilkins Kevlar speaker membranes in there.  ;D

I can relate to your experience. I had this experience only once, and I was not comfortable either. I prefer shooting on my own as well. I need to get in the zone for that to work, and people around me, be it one or 20, are prohibitive for me to achieve that. Problem: It is a little too expensive to rent that icebreaker for myself.  ;D

Very nice pictures Dave!

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #81 on: June 24, 2014, 06:08:51 pm »

My spontaneous reaction when I saw the Flow Meter picture, I felt it was tempting to photoshop this and put two Bowers & Wilkins Kevlar speaker membranes in there.  ;D

I don't know. Placing the tweeter in between those two drivers doesn't sound (ha!) like a B&W design to me. Much better on top like their Diamond's.
:)

I can relate to your experience. I had this experience only once, and I was not comfortable either. I prefer shooting on my own as well. I need to get in the zone for that to work, and people around me, be it one or 20, are prohibitive for me to achieve that. Problem: It is a little too expensive to rent that icebreaker for myself.  ;D

Very nice pictures Dave!

Thank you. Silo City really is an amazing place. There is a chance Michael will write an article about the experience, so I won't say too much more that might steal his thunder.

I would imagine the "When I shoot alone, I prefer to be by myself" feeling is most prevalent in landscape photographers, since by definition they often shoot alone. A reportage / street shooter is probably thinking, "What's the big deal?"

Dave

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #82 on: June 25, 2014, 05:56:45 pm »

Hi,

Personally, I shoot both DSLR and MFD on tripod. On the Hasselblad 555 ELD I only have a cable release, so handheld shooting is not very practical.

For me, the major difference between the two is that I almost always use magnified live view for accurate focus on DSLR while on the MFD I struggle with focusing visually. When I shoot both, I normally shooting MFD first and DSLR before switching subject, it always strike me how easy it is shooting with the DSLR. A H-series Hasselblad is probably quite a bit more effective. Also, I mostly use zooms on the DSLR.

The way I work, the images are pretty similar, with the MFD usually having better resolution. What I also found that the less rectangular format of the MFD is often an advantage. On the other hand I don't have zooms on the MF camera and I often stitch to expand field of view, instead of using a wider lens and crop.

Best regards
Erik

So, maybe the difference in experience is rather "handheld" versus "tripod"? For me, this is indeed how it works: I find that I need more concentration with a tripod and the constraints that it imposes. But I do not use a technical camera and I can use my MF handheld (although I don't do that very often).
Erik Kaffehr

pedro39photo

• PedroNunesPhoto
« Reply #83 on: June 26, 2014, 04:58:07 am »

Great Post !!! great way resolve some "trendy" doubts !
Finally a simple question-answer topic that resume all the 35mm Vs DMF questions based on the users experiences.
Pedro

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #84 on: June 27, 2014, 01:36:17 am »

Dave,
Nice shots!
Eric
Rolleiflex USA

texshooter

« Reply #85 on: June 28, 2014, 11:57:10 pm »

After watching this video comparing 35mm to medium format, Im convinced that medium format is such a

WASTE OF MONEY!!!!!

Sounds like the OP learned the hard way.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9UBTE4xpvpk

It's amusing watching people strain to see what they want to see.  But hey, if you got the dough, knock yourself out.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 12:02:30 am by texshooter »

HarperPhotos

• http://www.harperphoto.com
« Reply #86 on: June 29, 2014, 02:28:36 am »

Hi Tex,

That’s therem fiighting words on this forum partner.

Cheers

Simon :D
Simon Harper
Harper Photographics Ltd
http://www.harperphoto.com
http://www.facebook.com/harper.photographics

Auckland, New Zealand

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #87 on: June 29, 2014, 03:35:14 am »

Texshooter,
You're absolutely right!  Some people can take duff photos with almost any camera (and the corollary is that some people can take great photos with any camera). 
Since the gear doesn't matter as much as the skill of the photographer, one might as well get a camera they enjoy using, feels right in their hands. 

For me, the MF experience was as much about the viewfinder and the crop ratio as it was the higher sync speeds for studio and the leaf shutter lenses. But of course not much of that gets into a comparison video like the one you posted. 
Rolleiflex USA

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #88 on: June 29, 2014, 10:54:20 am »

Hi,

I am the OP…

I bought the Hasselblad/P45+ plus combo out of curiosity. I actually enjoy shooting with it, about 1/3 of my exposures this year was made with it. I tend to make more exposures on MFD than on DSLR so I think the keeper ratio is a bit lower than 1/3.

The other side of the equation is that there is no real advantage in image quality, except in resolution, compared to the Sony DSLRs I have. The major advantage of the Sonys is live view which is very helpful in achieving accurate focus and the accurate light meter. Also the Sonys have a significant advantage in DR. Another strength of the Sonys is white balance. It could be argued that it is impressive that a back introduced 2007 can keep up with 2014 CMOS technology, but that argument is not entirely true.

To begin with it cannot keep up, except under benign conditions. Also, the P45+ is AFAIK updated to latest firmware, so things like white balance calculations may have been subject to upgrade. Also, let's not forget the sensor has twice the area of the Sony sensor. Also the P45+ back sells for about 10k$, you can get two A7r-s and a couple of Zeiss lenses for the price of a used back alone.

What I like with the Hasselblad/P45+ combo is:

- Shooting with a classical camera
- Simplicity. Just focusing, shutter speed and aperture. No settings, no lightmeter. Just to say, Sony's presets give me some simplicity, too.
- The P45+ back is well made and very functional for a 2007 generation sensor
- The 49x37 aspect ratio is fine. I didn't know when I bought it but I appreciate it.
- I also have a Flexbody, an fine example of Hasselblad thinking out of the box.

Getting back to the video you referred to. The photographers still stick to their Hasselblad, but they admit the Nikon was impressive. They see great benefits of the Hasselblad on skin tone, and tethering. So Hasselblad may be worthwhile for that kind of shooting. But, I also guess some of the issues are manageable.

Now, time does not stand still. There is a rapid development in DSLR/mirrorless, but MFD doesn't exactly stand still.

What I may feel that MFD is very expensive for limited benefits and I don't think those benefits are always there.

So I am somewhat skeptical to MFD, especially regarding claims to image quality. Now, with the new Sony sensor in the latest backs from Phase One and Hasselblad MFD has a recent generation CMOS sensor with a much better image quality, but limitations in crop factor and T&S on technical cameras. Pentax even have an affordable DSLR with the new Sony MF sensor in an almost up to date DSLR body. (Why not up to date? Big and slow FP shutter and very small AF area.)

My guess is that DSLR/mirrorless technology is good for "the rest of us", and I would expect a lot of great developments in the near future, like the new 'Art' series lenses from Sigma and the Otus lenses from Zeiss in addition to all more or less excellent lenses from Canon and Nikon.

Best regards
Erik

After watching this video comparing 35mm to medium format, Im convinced that medium format is such a

WASTE OF MONEY!!!!!

Sounds like the OP learned the hard way.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9UBTE4xpvpk

It's amusing watching people strain to see what they want to see.  But hey, if you got the dough, knock yourself out.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 01:11:31 pm by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

Joe Towner

« Reply #89 on: June 29, 2014, 03:39:25 pm »

After watching this video comparing 35mm to medium format, Im convinced that medium format is such a WASTE OF MONEY!!!!!

Tex, the H4D-40 isn't what would be considered the top end of the MF range.  To put in a 50/60/80MP camera (Hasselblad, Phase or Leaf), which can only be done in medium format, would show a much larger difference.

It's great that 35mm works for you, but speaking from experience, medium format is completely WORTH THE MONEY as it gives me features and images that I can't get from 35mm.  Find your local dealer, setup a side by side, and come back and tell us how it goes.
t: @PNWMF

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #90 on: June 29, 2014, 04:26:03 pm »

Hi,

Yes, clearly there are 50/60/80 MP backs. They have better resolution, but they still have less DR than CMOS backs. It is also a lens question, many lenses are not that sharp. For the high res back there is also a need for high res lenses. Some new lenses are really good.

On the other hand, we start to have excellent lenses for DSLRs, too. Zeiss has the Otus line and Sigma the Art lenses. Even Nikon and Canon may wake up.

So, if resolution is the name of the game, an MFD on a technical camera may be the tool of choice. But for most purposes 24 or 36 MP are good enough.

The Pentax 645Z is a game changer, but the new lenses are still expensive.

Best regards
Erik

Tex, the H4D-40 isn't what would be considered the top end of the MF range.  To put in a 50/60/80MP camera (Hasselblad, Phase or Leaf), which can only be done in medium format, would show a much larger difference.

It's great that 35mm works for you, but speaking from experience, medium format is completely WORTH THE MONEY as it gives me features and images that I can't get from 35mm.  Find your local dealer, setup a side by side, and come back and tell us how it goes.
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up