Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: D4S ….can see in the dark!  (Read 14031 times)

allegretto

Re: D4S ….can see in the dark!
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2014, 03:44:48 pm »

Except that is how it reads.
Not being defensive at all. I simply thought your put down of Olympus not being pro kit was ridiculous. People are professional, not their equipment.

Sorry, I do not recall saying anything of the sort.

Can you point that out to me where that appears?

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2014, 03:46:35 pm »

sure
just go to dpreview and compare the D4 at high ISO to pretty much anything they have tested… RAW.
Pretty amazing.
What is it that you question? Where do you think, as an image sampling device it falls short?
No I, asked you to show your photos because you wrote this.
you clearly have never used a D4 but you keep speaking as though you know. you do not if this is what you have to say. I have used a D4 and it is superb under LOW light. I have pictures that reflect this. As I stated elsewhere, you quote from a spec sheet, not experience.
You claim direct experience, doubt someone else's and say you have photos to prove it, but do not show them. Now you tell me to go to another website to check D4 images out. A bit odd that.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

jjj

« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2014, 03:48:20 pm »

Sorry, I do not recall saying anything of the sort.

Can you point that out to me where that appears?
It was the part of your post that I quoted in my reply to said comment.
That is what the quote function is for.

allegretto

« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2014, 03:50:51 pm »

No I, asked you to show your photos because you wrote this.You claim direct experience, doubt someone else's and say you have photos to prove it, but do not show them. Now you tell me to go to another website to check D4 images out. A bit odd that.

the reason I suggested dpreview is that it offers a very real way to compare the OM-1 and the D4 apple to apple as far as exposure values. My shots don't do that

is that sensible? or are you simply questioning that I have used a D4? Actually I have a few thousand… maybe 5000. Are you asking for EXIF data or what?

allegretto

« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2014, 03:52:28 pm »

It was the part of your post that I quoted in my reply to said comment.
That is what the quote function is for.

so, you actually have no quote that says what you said I did?

what is it that you are actually getting to? So far you keep missing the "sensibility" mark so let's get to the point….

jjj

« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2014, 04:07:39 pm »

so, you actually have no quote that says what you said I did?

what is it that you are actually getting to? So far you keep missing the "sensibility" mark so let's get to the point….
Are you being deliberately obtuse. My reply specifically quoted your post regarding pros not using Olympus.
But as you seem to be struggling with this, I'll requote you.

Yet pros (either if they use D4 or 1DX) know how to use a lens with MF and don't buy Olympus or other…

Not to mention that as a pro I struggle to manually focus a fast lens with my Canon kit. The reason - the focusing screen makes the DoF equivalent to f2.8 even if you are at say f1.4, so it's impossible for anyone to manually focus accurately wide open unless you use live view. So that part of your post is also inaccurate.

Theodoros

« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2014, 04:23:54 pm »

Except that is how it reads.
Not being defensive at all. I simply thought your put down of Olympus not being pro kit was ridiculous. People are professional, not their equipment.

It depends on the kind of profession… Still D4 is a professional product only, while Oly has amateur marketing behind it… You are not going to argue with that now… are you?

jjj

« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2014, 04:44:11 pm »

It depends on the kind of profession… Still D4 is a professional product only, while Oly has amateur marketing behind it… You are not going to argue with that now… are you?
I was arguing against a childish and inaccurate comment. Which was different to what you just said, but even that comes across as a bit sneery and snobbish. And what has marketing got to do with a product's value/ability? Also of note is that many 'professional' products are only viable to make because they are purchased in large numbers by amateurs. Not only that, a lot of pros joke about the fact that amateurs can afford better cameras than themselves, because they have jobs that play a proper wage. High end Nikons and Canons sometimes get referred to as dentist's cameras because of that.

I would also mention that despite the D4's main market being the sports photographer, I would buy an OMD1 over a D4 for the sports photography that I would tend to do. Because size and weight matters more than fps, if one is biking into the back of beyond. A tool's 'professionalism' is measured by how useful it is for a job and different cameras are better at some jobs that others.

allegretto

« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2014, 05:48:30 pm »

jjj.

have given you several chances to rehab your errant testimony. I have been nothing but positive on Oly. It's just out of context to what we are talking about and I never have said anything even approximating what you attribute to me.

I'm going to go now, this is getting ridiculous.

Theodoros

« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2014, 06:41:27 pm »

I was arguing against a childish and inaccurate comment. Which was different to what you just said, but even that comes across as a bit sneery and snobbish. And what has marketing got to do with a product's value/ability? Also of note is that many 'professional' products are only viable to make because they are purchased in large numbers by amateurs. Not only that, a lot of pros joke about the fact that amateurs can afford better cameras than themselves, because they have jobs that play a proper wage. High end Nikons and Canons sometimes get referred to as dentist's cameras because of that.

I would also mention that despite the D4's main market being the sports photographer, I would buy an OMD1 over a D4 for the sports photography that I would tend to do. Because size and weight matters more than fps, if one is biking into the back of beyond. A tool's 'professionalism' is measured by how useful it is for a job and different cameras are better at some jobs that others.

I guess you'll argue on anything that has to do with a Nikon product ahead of competition… Please, when you'll do your sports photography with the Oly… don't forget to post those files shot with your 400mm f2.8! (or is it 267mm f2.8 equivalent?)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 06:45:56 pm by T.Dascalos »

jjj

« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2014, 07:24:53 pm »

I guess you'll argue on anything that has to do with a Nikon product ahead of competition… Please, when you'll do your sports photography with the Oly… don't forget to post those files shot with your 400mm f2.8! (or is it 267mm f2.8 equivalent?)
Is it simply too much trouble for people to bother reading posts before responding with completely irrelevant and snarky answers?

I'm brand agnostic. I do not give a rat's buttock about what cameras others use and find tedious brand sneering like yours a bit sad. And what a surprise, there's no evidence or link to any photographic work you may have done.
BTW to be absolutely clear for the hard of reading, I don't use actually Olympus cameras. But would have no qualms about buying one and using it for professional work as they would suit some jobs I do better than a big hulk of a camera, like a D4s or 1Dx. And when I do sports photography I prefer to use wideangles, not big telephotos.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2014, 06:18:28 am »

Talking about Dpreview -...

they have the d4s samples online- it seems the D4s wins about a stop over the D4...

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikon-d4s/5
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

BJL

D4S ... has different in-camera JPEG conversion than the D4
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2014, 10:32:47 am »

Talking about Dpreview -...

they have the d4s samples online- it seems the D4s wins about a stop over the D4...

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikon-d4s/5
At a quick look, I see no significant difference in the raw comparisons but more difference in the JPEG's -- though with a great difference in color balance that might get in the way of fair comparison.

So so far, no sign of much beyond a change in the way the D4s handles conversion from raw to JPEG. (Which as I have said before is a perfectly legitimate improvement in a camera where sometimes the photos are needed quickly, so that in-cameras JPEGs must be used.)

robdickinson

« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2014, 08:24:13 pm »

Yes, for me and the way I work jpg are irrelevant, but for sports shooters or people who need fast turnaround to media better jpg is always welcome.

Theodoros

« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2014, 01:41:50 pm »

In addition, I don't see the relevance of improving high ISO raws more than the great they already are with the D4 and DF… Such a move, would possibly harm the (superb) sensor performance at near base ISO (like it did with D3S with respect to D3 and D700) which would be a bit meaningless since D4 already is the best camera around for LL performance when shot in Raws...
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up