Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: What happened to the DHW HS-1000 electronic shutter?  (Read 18757 times)

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
Re: What happened to the DHW HS-1000 electronic shutter?
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2014, 09:46:18 pm »

Paul,
The Rollei electronic shutters are capable of 1/10th stop and being electronic are more precise and repeatable from shot to shot.

TJV - the HS-1000 will need a separate power source than and iPhone or iPad probably but it could be a small battery.
Rolleiflex USA

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2014, 09:48:21 pm »

... o.k. Eric, I'll keep it secret then.  No need for anyone else to know what wonderful gadgets they conceive in Braunschweig, only for people like us to come in, hack them any which way we need them, and then use them for entirely different purposes they were originally designed for  :)

I have this personal project in mind - sort of a 4x5 TLR ….     these new shutters could be ideal...
Rolleiflex USA

tjv

« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2014, 03:11:45 am »

TJV - the HS-1000 will need a separate power source than and iPhone or iPad probably but it could be a small battery.

Ok, any idea what an external power source might look like? Would it be cabled and ungainly, or do you think there's an elegant solution in the works? Seems a shame that a wired connection to an iPad mini or iPhone either isn't possible due to technical limitations if the connection or otherwise, juat imagine how cool it could be to control the shutter and receive wireless transfer of images from an IQ back?!

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2014, 12:12:04 am »

tjv,
I'm imagining all kinds of cool things like you suggested - the possibilities are endless.  I am really excited about this shutter!
If a phone doesn't have enough power, then a small battery could be used either close to the shutter or on the phone if you are using a cable USB cord.   There may be other options too.

Rolleiflex USA

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2014, 06:14:26 pm »

Here's a look at the new shutter - these are pics of my unit.   
Note the USB port and built in sync port on the side.
Rolleiflex USA

tjv

« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2014, 03:49:33 am »

Looking good. Can you share anything about the unit in use? How are you powering and firing it?

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2014, 01:37:46 am »

TJV,
Right now just connecting via a micro USB cable to the computer.  It gets power through the USB cable on the laptops and desktops. 
Maybe I can make a little video of it running?
E
Rolleiflex USA

tjv

« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2014, 06:31:41 am »

Sounds good.
What's the software like?
Now that you've got hold of it, do you have any further ideas on how to power and fire the shutter in the field?

kinglang

« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2018, 08:35:33 am »

Untill today,we still can not see the product on the market.

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2018, 11:21:17 am »

Probably because technology is quickly replacing the need for a mechanical shutter. Most who wanted this are using view / technical cameras, and the DB’s e-shutter is so much simpler. Even with today’s version and its rolling shutter limitations, I haven’t used the copal shutter literally since the e-shutter feature update was released.

Doesn’t satisfy everyone, but it makes the market smaller for a product like this.

Dave

Brent Daniels

« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2018, 03:53:59 pm »

Hi Eric

A few questions:

Do you know if these new shutters will hook-up to a Hasselblad  back on a view camera such as Arca and run directly from Phocus software as the present shutters & controllers do?

If run from an iPhone or iPad are they connected via Bluetooth, or is wifi required?

Can you post a side by side pic with the presently in use electronic 0" shutter for size comparison?

Will this new shutter fit in an Area 6x9 recessed lens board?

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2018, 07:37:02 pm »

Hi Dave,

Interesting to hear! You are shooting IQ3100MP?

My take is that e-shutter is usable unless subjects are large and move fast. For instance leaf in wind is moving a lot, but it is a small object.

Best regards
Erik

Probably because technology is quickly replacing the need for a mechanical shutter. Most who wanted this are using view / technical cameras, and the DB’s e-shutter is so much simpler. Even with today’s version and its rolling shutter limitations, I haven’t used the copal shutter literally since the e-shutter feature update was released.

Doesn’t satisfy everyone, but it makes the market smaller for a product like this.

Dave
Erik Kaffehr

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2018, 09:29:08 am »

My take is that e-shutter is usable unless subjects are large and move fast. For instance leaf in wind is moving a lot, but it is a small object.

That matches our experience and the experience of our clients. The question is really "how many pixels does the object move across during the exposure". So a leaf on a tree a hundred feet away that moves across 10 pixels during the exposure is absolutely fine; the sweep of the electronic shutter will render it utterly sharp and without any weirdness. A car in the foreground that moves across half the frame (roughly 6,000 pixels) during the exposure will be rendered with a strong "lean".

So yes, large and moving fast is problematic*. Most anything else is fine.

*Notably this doesn't absolutely eliminate use of the ES for objects moving large and fast. It just must be understood that such objects will exhibit a rolling shutter lean which renders shapes and object relationships in a way a viewer might find surrealistic or unnerving. In fact this technique can be used to great affect and can produce imagery that is otherwise not possible. It's just not a "normal" rendering of the scene; so if you're after "normal" would be considered a problem.

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2018, 11:31:50 pm »

Yes Erik, I don’t even carry a sync cord any more. Ocean waves, leaves or other natural movement appear normal to me.

Next to live view it is the best feature of the new backs. At least for technical cameras.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Best regards
Erik
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up