Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: What happened to the DHW HS-1000 electronic shutter?  (Read 18751 times)

henrikfoto

Re: What happened to the DHW HS-1000 electronic shutter?
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2014, 02:36:48 pm »

"Those of you that have unscrewed an element before (perhaps to fit it to a lens board or something) think on this:  How tight is the right tightness?  How much of a turn is there between just touching and snug?  If the pitch on the threads is .75mm/turn then even just 1/8 a turn is about 1/10th of a mm travel - quarter of a turn makes almost 2/10ths. And you have that for front and rear elements.  Copal 0 shutters should have 20mm between front and rear mount faces.  How does a factory calibrate this?   Do you suppose that schneider or rodenstock are cutting down the shutter if its too big for the lens pair? I've only seen shims but even then very rarely? Color me a skeptic. "
[/quote]

This is exactly my thoughts. I have also remounted some lenses and have never seen any problems with sharpness after doing so. And that should be very easy to see on a 80 mp sensor?

If it helps I would gladly pay to get my lenses calibreted, but I would like to understand what they really do.
As far as I know the shutters are not adjustable in any way so the only way to adjust them is to add shims.
But like Erik says, what if a smaller space than the shutters actual size should be needed?
Will they then just tighten the screw very hard or will they replace the hole shutter and try to find one on the thin
side of the tollerences?

And if the exact tollerences are that critical, what about the transport, variations in temperature and normal handling? Shouldn't the lens elements be locked in some way after the calibration??

« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 02:40:12 pm by henrikfoto »

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2014, 03:05:50 pm »

Yes, agreed.  If it were so precise, you'd expect them to use some kind of method to hold them in that place.   But I've been surprised before and I should really test this someday as I have the 80mp back and the big Imatest chart…
Rolleiflex USA

DanielStone

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2014, 09:18:50 pm »

Ouch, ~$2100 is pretty steep. But if they're rated for 100K exposures, that would make them pretty much an "indefinite" product in my eyes.... IIRC, mechanical Copal shutters were recommended to be serviced every 4-5k shots? That's still a lot for most of use LF shooters, but maybe less for the digital folks who bracket shots for HDR'ing later on?

Eric,
are these going to be pretty well weather-sealed, so they'll be suitable for outdoor use in wet/damp or dusty/windy conditions? Mechanical stuff is one thing, but when electronic boards are included in the mix, well I think you can get my point here. For ~$2100 I'd hope they'd be darn well sealed up :o

-Dan

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2014, 12:25:25 am »

The 100k test was a worst case - run continuously at the fastest cycle rate and highest sync speed of 1/1000th.    I've been told before by an integrator of the Rollei shutters in industrial processes that they are getting over a million actuation's on average.    There aren't any electronic shutters out there doing even the 1/500 that the current Rollei shutters can do so 1/1000th is pretty neat.   

Can't say on the weather sealing ….  and can't wait until I have one of these in my hands to check out.   I'm dreaming of building a 4x5 TLR with electronic shutter controlled by arduino via usb.

Rolleiflex USA

DanielStone

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2014, 02:54:39 am »

Hey Eric,

No problem, I'm sure you'll have one asap after(maybe before?) they've released to the public. Can you send me an email with your thoughts on it once you've had a chance to play with it a bit :D?

As you're aware through our prior correspondence, I'm still all film-based for my shooting(other than my little X100s which is a constant companion it seems nowadays). Anyhow, I still like to keep up with the current tech, as my inner geek likes to get all hot 'n flustered over what's new and exciting! That new P645D(II?) sure looks nice, but it's out of my current budget. 5x7 and 4x5 sheet film is a little slower going, but I like the process, and my Nikkor and Fujinon lenses still put out great shots, nice and crisp!

Anywhoooo, when I first saw some rumblings about an electronic Copal 0 compatible shutter, I thought "Cool, now I can save up some shekels to put some of my lenses in to digital shutters(I'm a sucker for "do as much as possible in the film") so I can control things even more, and have more consistency from shot to shot". Well, seeing that it looks like only a Copal 0 version will be released(no Copal 1 I gather...) I'll have to pass on that idea, as 1/2 of my 6 lenses in my kit use a Copal 1, and they happen to be the three main lenses I use ;D).

But I'm glad to see DHW making strides in the tech cam/view camera world, where I'm sure the majority of these shutters will end up. Helping make honest shooters money, and housing nice glass!

-Dan

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2014, 02:41:21 am »

I'm told by DHW that I'll have one of the new shutters in my hands in March….  stay tuned!
Rolleiflex USA

cyron123

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2014, 08:03:31 am »

Hi eric,
do you know if DHW will be at the photokina this year with the new shutter?

DHW-JHartje

• DHW Fototechnik GmbH
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2014, 12:50:07 pm »

No He doesn't yet. But I do :)

Lacunapratum

« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2014, 01:45:36 pm »

Well, in this case don't tell anybody.  There is a danger people might find out about it sooner or later. 

DHW-JHartje

• DHW Fototechnik GmbH
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2014, 04:12:27 pm »

:) we will of course make an announcement in the next few weeks:)

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2014, 12:55:58 am »

I've got one of these in my 'lab' now.   They are quite nice - smaller and lighter than the previous generation with the USB and built in sync port.   They appear to be very well made. 

Thomas - don't tell Johannes, that I took apart one of my demo units to see what was inside. ;)  Luckily I took pictures so I could put it all back together right.
Rolleiflex USA

tjv

« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2014, 03:13:09 am »

Stupid question, but how could these be used in the field when minimal weight is a concern? E.g. without a laptop...

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2014, 08:25:57 am »

Stupid question, but how could these be used in the field when minimal weight is a concern? E.g. without a laptop...

Actually not a stupid question. Current designs require a USB dongle and control box an don't offer much more range in available shutter speeds. At $2100 per shutter to me a no go either. 

Better solution to me is the Alpa FPS with a traditional focal plane shutter. But since I went the Arca road can't afford to switch.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

cyron123

« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2014, 08:52:48 am »

Hello,
I thought that there is a solution for a smartphone like iPhone?!? If I need an extra controller in a box this is a nogo from me in the field..

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2014, 09:25:39 am »

I would assume the newer version would work with a iPhone are similar device to control the shutter, connecting to the phone via the charge port/USB to the shutter.  It was my understanding that the older version had to be run from a PC connected to the shutter, which limited it to the studio environment in most cases.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2014, 01:00:58 pm »

Hi,
Not a stupid question - mobile apps are planned for the shutter.

Rolleiflex USA

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2014, 01:09:06 pm »

Paul,
The HS-1000 is unique in the realm of electronic shutters right now in its fast sync and shutter speed of 1/1000th.  There are applications where a FPS or Hartblei might be better suited of course, but many where the HS-1000 will excel.   

The previous generation Rollei electronic shutters were widely used even with the Lens control units and I expect these to do even better.  With the USB interface a whole range of possibilities has been opened up - including bluetooth communication, stand alone / specialized control and applications.

Cost of the new shutter is higher, but less than the older shutter (which is still available) plus a lens control unit.

Also for thought - what will happen to all those applications that use mechanical shutters now that Copal has shut down? 
Rolleiflex USA

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2014, 03:26:56 pm »

Eric:

I would love to see something other than the Copal manual and fixed shutter speeds.  By far the single thing I miss the most since switching to the Tech camera world are 1/3 increment shutter speeds. They really do matter at iso 50

I have had 6, work with 5 and none of them can hit 1/250 (instead hitting either 1/180th or 1/350th), and 2 of them have problems with 1/30. 

Hopefully this shutter will be shown at Photokina and the cost to retro fit won't be much more than the cost of the shutter.  I can't move to the FPS having made the investment in Arca.  Looking forward to learning more.

It would be nice to see Arca and Cambo come out with an FPS type solution, or at least a shutter. 

I agree that in the next few years, something will have to start replacing the Copals. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

tjv

« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2014, 04:17:39 pm »

Awesome, if this unit can be driven by a smartphone and not need any other accessories for power etc, I'm in. 

Lacunapratum

« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2014, 07:15:01 pm »

... o.k. Eric, I'll keep it secret then.  No need for anyone else to know what wonderful gadgets they conceive in Braunschweig, only for people like us to come in, hack them any which way we need them, and then use them for entirely different purposes they were originally designed for  :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up