Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 273   Go Down

Author Topic: Show us some Abstracts!  (Read 722131 times)

churly

Re: Show us some Abstracts!
« Reply #1160 on: March 19, 2016, 09:41:23 am »

Nice shots Rob.  I like what you are doing with this series.  Here are a couple that kind of recall your fish but without the colors.
Chuck
Chuck Hurich

Rob C

« Reply #1161 on: March 19, 2016, 09:48:28 am »

Yes, Eric, that's the left one: the right one, the camera one, isn't that brilliant anymore...

However, since the glaucoma came visiting, whereas I needed specs to read with after hitting forty-four, I now don't, but where I once had exceptional distance sight - confirmed by a disbeliever with binoculars one day when I could read the logo on a distant ship's funnel - my distance vision now sucks. I think I was better off with the original disablity. In fact, the best monitor specs I ever had were ones that I inherited from my mother... perfect! Now they are hopeless for anything except sentiment.

;-(

Rob
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 10:13:08 am by Rob C »

Rob C

« Reply #1162 on: March 19, 2016, 10:12:28 am »

Nice shots Rob.  I like what you are doing with this series.  Here are a couple that kind of recall your fish but without the colors.
Chuck

Very attractive! Makes me think of Japanese or Chinese art! (I am ready to duck should anyone think that a non-PC comment.)

For my part, I do enjoy the blur - perhaps because it frees me from having to find legitimate subjects: after living in the same "village" since '81 I know it just a tiny bit too well to see it afresh!

I truly believe that you (as in one!) can become quite blind to what you have. Some many years ago I found myself sitting up late one night in my mother's house in Scotland, watching tv alone, she and my wife having no interest in the show, and long departed to their beds. We'd just driven over from Spain (where I still live) and the thing on the box was a travel item which took in the Tramuntana mountains of Mallorca. I was stunned at their beauty, despite having driven along them so often as not to notice anymore. I supose I have some excuse in that driving narrow mountain roads does require you look more at the road than anything else... But the surprising thing was, I felt terribly homesick for them! The same thing hit me another night when I stayed up to watch American Graffiti for the umpteenth time: I ended up moist-eyed for a youth that was only slightly a m¡rror of my own. So much for the power of music, and for how it marks periods of your life you sometimes wish you never had to leave behind. I'll always remember my last day in school... we broke up in the morning with a service at the local abbey, and a few of us friends left early and walked away together, peeling off as our ways parted. How sad it was to realise, years later, we were never to meet again.

Rob

churly

« Reply #1163 on: March 20, 2016, 09:09:34 am »

Found Light - Found this walking down a hallway in my home. 
Chuck
Chuck Hurich

Rob C

« Reply #1164 on: March 20, 2016, 09:51:19 am »

Another nice one Chuck; supports what I have said a few times here: you can find beautiful material right under your photographic nose if you but seek it out.

Rob

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #1165 on: March 20, 2016, 12:55:57 pm »

Found Light - Found this walking down a hallway in my home. 
Chuck

Nice... I betcha it's there all the time.

Peter

churly

« Reply #1166 on: March 20, 2016, 03:28:35 pm »

For my part, I do enjoy the blur - perhaps because it frees me from having to find legitimate subjects: after living in the same "village" since '81 I know it just a tiny bit too well to see it afresh!
Rob

Rob - I see this as a follow-on of your series.  In this case the blur is an alternative that frees me from finding enough light to shoot at 1/5000 s.  Lesser technique? - maybe, some would certainly say so.  I don't think that makes the subject less legitimate but accept that it won't suite everyone's taste.
Best,
Chuck
Chuck Hurich

churly

« Reply #1167 on: March 20, 2016, 03:30:08 pm »

Nice... I betcha it's there all the time.

Peter

Peter - Not there - but somewhere, which is I expect what you mean.
Best,
Chuck
Chuck Hurich

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #1168 on: March 20, 2016, 06:44:09 pm »

Peter - Not there - but somewhere, which is I expect what you mean.
Best,
Chuck

Yes sir...

Peter

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #1169 on: March 21, 2016, 01:08:55 pm »

Dune Ridge Abstract. From my recent trip to Death Valley. FWIW, the softness is deliberate; at least it's not tack sharp, front to back ;)

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #1170 on: March 21, 2016, 02:42:56 pm »

Another Dune Ridge Abstract

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #1171 on: March 21, 2016, 03:07:34 pm »

What's up with that deliberate blurring!?

Rob C

« Reply #1172 on: March 21, 2016, 03:55:54 pm »

Rob, I like many of the latest images in this series very much indeed.

Are you post processing as large images and then reducing for the web? In other words, is there any hope that these will one day be printed?

Keith

Hi Keith,

I work on them as they come, full-format, TIF, as far as the point where I decide to add 'noise' and sharpen or not. Then, I  Save As and reduce the size to the standard one to fit my website page, and do that 'noise'/sharpen bit then, not on the full-size file. Once there, I add a title and make a jpeg at 72. However, I've taken to adding yet a further, final Layer: once I have the titled jpeg I go into Curves, click on the eyedropper for 'white' and apply it to the white border. This seems a bit more than one needs, but it's been my experience that the white border can become contaminated with a very tiny colour cast at times - I think I discovered this when I was working on the 'Olde Worlde' set of pictures where I was adding heavy black or dark brown edges to the pictures. It may be a bit OTT but takes no time, so may as well!

Regarding printing: I've thought of it a few times - not just since I got into this blurr kick - but before. However, the now-dead HP printer I had was never much good for colour but excellent for black/white.

Funny thing: I love black/white more for realistic images, but absolutely love working with blobs of colour! My wife would not have been surprised: she always figured I had problems of one kind or another. I think that's why I'm such a Vincent fan -  it's a form of visual expression that doesn't appear to be too challenging - to me, at any rate - whereas clever, sophisticated work would defeat me at the very start. I could never have imagined myself a Caravaggio!

Oh - there's the second part of the Art of Scandinavia on tonight on BBC 4 at 9pm (your time). Enjoyed the first one very much!

But back to print: if I ever do sell this place (might have to revise price, seeing the new average house price in the UK tonight on Sky is shown as well over 300,000 quid. Estate agents here expect 5% now, which is better for sellers than they used to grab!) In Britain, I would certainly buy another printer and make prints, then have a go at gallery dreams. Not a snowballs here.

Thank you for the kind comments, too: nice to know another artist likes!

;-)

Rob

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #1173 on: March 21, 2016, 04:05:56 pm »

What's up with that deliberate blurring!?
Just trying to be trendy! ;D
PS One man's blurring is another man's lack of clarity ;D ;D
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 04:14:45 pm by David Eckels »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #1174 on: March 21, 2016, 04:22:32 pm »

Indeed... they look much better without my reading glasses. Something about "two wrongs..." ;)

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #1175 on: March 21, 2016, 08:24:16 pm »

I guess I'm just old-fashioned, David. I would like to see these dunes sharp.

On the other hand, the look of substantial blur, like the recent stuff by Rob C and earlier by John R works just fine for me.

-Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #1176 on: March 21, 2016, 10:02:54 pm »

Despite Slobodan's protestations to the contrary ;) these were not blurred purposefully. Clarity was not pumped up and aggressive sharpening was not applied although I did apply a significant amount of NR). They are fairly severe crops (horrors!  :o ) just because I liked the lines and when I snapped them, I knew I didn't have enough reach so thought in the moment about cropping  :-[ (hoping for forgiveness by RSL ;) ). Inspired by Rob and others, I thought a little blurring would be tolerated. My biggest challenge, IMHO, was taking relatively low contrast images and trying to find a modicum of contrast without blowing (as in defeating the purpose of or destroying) the mood. I chose B&W renderings because these seemed to be about line, darks and lights, not color. Anyway, I am comfortable if the overall conclusion is that they are not successful re other folks' taste. I appreciate the comments nonetheless.

Rob C

« Reply #1177 on: March 22, 2016, 09:55:41 am »

Hi Rob, try as I might I can't get past Andrew Graham Dixon.

Oh, how I mourn the passing of Robert Hughes!

How do you fare with the guy who used to/does? write for the Sunday Times - the one with the unpronounceable Polish name? Waldemar Janus-Something, I think? He did a recent one on the Renaissance as Wasn't...

I think Andrew is a bit pompous, but I'm prepared to look past that; the first episode of the Scandinavian thing was far better than last night's which ended up being a bit of a bore. I hope for better next Monday!

Rob

Rob C

« Reply #1178 on: March 22, 2016, 11:03:53 am »

Hi Rob,

I read his column regularly and have recorded the Renaissance series but have yet to watch it.

The very fact I read and watch him, has in my estimation, put him above AGD ;-)

Stopped buying the ST a few years ago - pretty much when Ann died; she always loved it even when we lived in the UK. Last time I bought it it cost €5 and made a helluva mess of the furniture: ink smudges. Printed here, it lost a lot of the content... a shadow of the UK version.

Rob

Arlen

« Reply #1179 on: March 25, 2016, 09:50:40 pm »

Ephemeral edges.

Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 273   Go Up