Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Otus 55mm f1.4 rolling review  (Read 28676 times)

AreBee

Re: Otus 55mm f1.4 rolling review
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2013, 04:08:35 pm »

Bernard,

The short term bypass is not to expose the lens to abrupt transitions from cold to warm.

With all due respect, the above is basic good practice in terms of looking after equipment.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2013, 04:22:21 pm »

With all due respect, the above is basic good practice in terms of looking after equipment.

Indeed, I meant, not expose the lens to any transition from cold to warm at all, which will mean leave the lens in a car outside or even outside. It is what I had to do last night since I do not have with me any air tight zip bag large enough for the Otus, I'll have to try that next time.

For what it is worth, the transition yesterday was far from being abrupt and one that other lenses and the D800/my previous Nikon bodies/lenses have never had any problem with.

I have been aware of the potential dangers of condensation for years and take reasonnable measures to prevent it, but do more than what I do does IMHO fall in the realm of lens baby sitting. Those using cameras with lesser ruggedness that Nikon bodies may have developped that discipline already, I am not sure I want to add this additional burden.

Yes, I love a lot of things about the Otus, but the Zeiss 50mm f2 is also very good although it is not as amazingly well corrected. It may be a better trade off for cold shooting.

It doesn't mean I am returning the Otus, don't get me wrong. Each piece of equipment has strengths and weaknesses, the game is to get to know them so as to avoid issues and maximize value.

I'll first have to figure out whether my sample has a specific issue or not. Assuming that what I saw is representative of the lens potential, this would only show that the Otus is of course not the ideal lens some liked to think it would be. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 06:37:31 pm by BernardLanguillier »

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2013, 05:43:03 pm »

http://youtu.be/rX-b1Ksetcc

Happy New Year, Bernard!

Rob C

OTUS REGRETS!!!  Very Nice.....

Peter

CptZar

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2013, 02:47:08 am »

Same problem occurs when taking equipment out of heavily airconditioned rooms into hot humid environments, e.g. Singapore. Any thoughts how condensing can be  prevented there? Is it bad for the lens?

Cheers

Jan

Rob C

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2013, 03:41:06 am »

Same problem occurs when taking equipment out of heavily airconditioned rooms into hot humid environments, e.g. Singapore. Any thoughts how condensing can be  prevented there? Is it bad for the lens?

Cheers

Jan

Took a bunch of Nikon stuff there on a shoot; the model fainted and fell off a rock (I caught her in time) but the cameras and lenses soldiered on without complaint. Pre-digital, of course...

One trick, learned elsewhere and continued here in Spain, was never to use the air conditioning in the car. It affects you badly because the shock of getting out of the car and into reality would be long passed if you never exposed your system to the fake atmosphere at all. Hell, you dress for the heat and then end up shivering in some hotel bar! Madness.

;-)

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2013, 03:43:01 am »

OTUS REGRETS!!!  Very Nice.....

Peter

Bless you Peter, you return to me my fading faith in humanity.

;-)

Rob C

AreBee

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2013, 07:01:14 am »

Bernard,

Assuming that what I saw is representative of the lens potential, this would only show that the Otus is of course not the ideal lens some liked to think it would be. ;)

Does the smiley above imply that you consider me to be one such person?

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2013, 07:37:51 am »

Bernard,

Does the smiley above imply that you consider me to be one such person?

No, it does not. I have absolutely no idea how you feel about the Otus.

Cheers,
Bernard

CptZar

« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2013, 03:58:19 am »

I was thinking about the Otus as well, however then decided against it due to size and weight. I am not convinced, that it is a lens to be used outside without a tripod.

As for stitched panoramas, couldn't one get the same quality results with the Sony A7r and the FE 55/1.8ZA?

Lloyd Chambers calls it :
Start Quote

Overall performance rivals the very best lenses in sharpness, overall contrast, and micro contrast.

The Sony 55/1.8 Sonnar delivers an outstanding performance on par with the best Leica M APO telephoto lenses (75/2 and 90/2 shot separately on the A7R and not shown here). It represents a steal at about $1000. A clean slate and designing for the sensor clearly can work wonders.

End Quote

Assuming, one will use f8 to f11 for landscape the advantage of the Otus shot wide open, will decrease.

The whole package would cost around €3000,. weight about 800g, whereas the D800/Otus Combo will weight 2kg and only the Otus alone will cost 3200€.

Having said that, I have to admit that I run around with TS lenses which put some weight on my back too. But I do not stitch.

Cheers

Jan
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 04:07:22 am by CptZar »

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2013, 06:58:35 am »

I was thinking about the Otus as well, however then decided against it due to size and weight. I am not convinced, that it is a lens to be used outside without a tripod.

As for stitched panoramas, couldn't one get the same quality results with the Sony A7r and the FE 55/1.8ZA?

Start Quote

Overall performance rivals the very best lenses in sharpness, overall contrast, and micro contrast.

The Sony 55/1.8 Sonnar delivers an outstanding performance on par with the best Leica M APO telephoto lenses (75/2 and 90/2 shot separately on the A7R and not shown here). It represents a steal at about $1000. A clean slate and designing for the sensor clearly can work wonders.

End Quote

Assuming, one will use f8 to f11 for landscape the advantage of the Otus shot wide open, will decrease.

The whole package would cost around €3000,. weight about 800g, whereas the D800/Otus Combo will weight 2kg and only the Otus alone will cost 3200€.

It seems to be a great combo. I would consider it if:
- I didn't use long lenses to stitch also (I use my 180mm a lot),
- I was not already heavily invested in F mount lenses.

It is probably worth starting another thread to discuss the Sony and/or the various possible options to stitch?

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 07:16:51 am by BernardLanguillier »

henrikfoto

« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2013, 07:49:30 am »

Hi Bernard!

Have you used the 135 zeiss for stitching?

Henrik

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2013, 08:04:34 am »

Hi Bernard!

Have you used the 135 zeiss for stitching?

Henrik,

No, I have been considering getting one, but I already own the Zeiss 100m and the Leica 180mm f2.8 APO so it somehow seems a bit redundant.

I may end up getting one though. :)

Cheers,
Bernard

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2013, 08:27:01 am »

Start Quote

End Quote

Having said that, I have to admit that I run around with TS lenses which put some weight on my back too. But I do not stitch.

Cheers

Jan
It's one thing testing a lens out of the box, 6 months or a year down the line after being carried around in a bag etc. That's when quality engineering shows up over the budget bargains.
Kevin.

CptZar

« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2013, 09:22:47 am »

It's one thing testing a lens out of the box, 6 months or a year down the line after being carried around in a bag etc. That's when quality engineering shows up over the budget bargains.

Well, this engineering masterpiece had a dent, after being carried around for 3 days.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2013, 09:33:30 am »

Hi,

Just two points:

I have had something 30-40 lenses over 43 years. About two of them have failed. So I would say lenses are, or at least used to be reliable.

The Sonnar discussed below i a Zeiss-labeled lens made by Sony. It corresponds to Zeiss specifications. I don't have the slightest idea that it stands being carried about in the bag.

The Otus is perhaps four times the price of the Sony 55/1.8, the question if it is a good substitute is a question worth 3000$.

Best regards
Erik

Ps. While 30-40 lenses? Many reasons Minolta MD -> Switch to Minolta AF in the 80-es. Pentax 67 in the 90-es new telephoto lenses, ultrawides, smaller lenses for air travel, need a sharper lens with new high res sensor, lenses are sexy and I recently started shooting Hasselblad V.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 09:36:18 am by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

CptZar

« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2013, 11:31:02 am »

Right and the Otus is a Zeiss labeled lens made by Cosina, which is normal by today global standards.

Brings me to the point, and maybe Bernnard could clear that. I was told by an optician  in HKG, that Sony again owns part of Cosina. Is that correct?

Cheers

Jan
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 11:49:26 am by CptZar »

henrikfoto

« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2013, 11:36:15 am »

Right and the Otus is a Zeiss labeled lens made by Cosina, which is normal by today global standards.

Brings me to the point, and maybe Bernhard could clear that. I was told by an optician  in HKG, that Sony again owns part of Cosina. Is that correct?

Cheers

Jan

Is it correct that the Otus is made by Cosina??

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2013, 11:39:05 am »

Hi,

I am not sure the Otus is made by Cosina, some of the Zeiss ZF lenses are made in Germany, I have read.

Regarding Sony having partial ownership of Cosina, it is possible but I have never heard about it.

Regarding the Sony ZA and ZE lenses, they are designed and built by Sony. I don't know how much role Zeiss plays. But I would guess they need to meet criteria that Zeiss sets on their own lenses.

Let us not hijack this thread…

Best regards
Erik

Brings me to the point, and maybe Bernhard could clear that. I was told by an optician  in HKG, that Sony again owns part of Cosina. Is that correct?

Cheers

Jan
Erik Kaffehr

AreBee

« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2013, 12:00:37 pm »

Quote from: henrikfoto
Is it correct that the Otus is made by Cosina?

Not sure, but it certainly is made in Japan...not that it makes the slightest difference where it is manufacturerd if it is within specification - refer to the Zeiss blog toward the bottom of this page, where they confirm that:

We can tell you that for the manufacture of ZEISS lenses, we use a global production network of trusted partners in the optical industry that has been built up over many years. Otus lenses are made in Japan.

Somewhat back on topic, in the same blog linked to above, Zeiss confirms that in terms of temperature:

...the ZEISS Otus 1.4/55 is designed for use in normal conditions. Protection against environmental influences exceeding common dimensions is not provided. These lenses can be used at a temperature range of -20°C to +55°C.

Nothing surprising there, then.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2013, 05:23:32 pm »

The Otus is indeed made in Japan, I believe by Cosina.

I heard in the past that internal Zeiss quality audits revealed that the quality of their lenses made in Japan was higher than the quality of the kenses they manufactured in Germany.

The fact that they selected a Japanese manufacturing facility for the Otus implicitely confirms this.

The yen having been made to lose 45% if its value relative to the Euro in the last 6 months, it is also probably a very good deal for Zeiss.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 05:28:06 pm by BernardLanguillier »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up