Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Concern over Lack of history of image adjustments  (Read 9289 times)

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: Concern over Lack of history of image adjustments
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2013, 03:04:17 pm »

No-one's forcing you. Why not read what people write before you type your usual trollish comments? I wrote "more like a record of transactions", not "transactions", for example. But hey, aren't you a prize exhibit for the results of forums letting people hide behind a pseudonym....

Isaac

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2013, 03:16:59 pm »

I wrote "more like a record of transactions", not "transactions", for example.

I fully and correctly quoted your words.

But hey, aren't you a prize exhibit for the results of forums letting people hide behind a pseudonym....

I'm an example that someone using a pen name may be less interested in name calling and ridicule than someone who doesn't.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 05:18:52 pm by Isaac »

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2013, 04:01:27 pm »

No you didn't quote, you clearly didn't understand the distinction I drew. And I described your comments as usually trollish, not you, "Isaac".

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2013, 03:35:47 pm »

Anyway, you an quickly appraise a contribution of any C1's tools simply by clicking on the Reset Adjustment button on corressponding tool...

Nikolai

...or just hold down the ALT key while you click the reset button for a temporary reset.  ;)
David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2013, 04:24:57 pm »

Which I believe takes back you to step one what the images looks like at import.  I know all about the reset button.  For my workflow just not what I am looking for.  As stated earlier depending on the adjustment being made a simple reset to step one is pretty worthless.  Temporary or not. For me reset in capture one is all or nothing. 

As noted before it's very obvious to me now that for many people working with raw files and Phase One possibly, the screen showing the history of all adjustments is not needed. 

Thankfully the folks at Adobe and LR do.  I just need to start figuring out how to use the LR tool that works out LCC processing.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2013, 05:34:18 am »

Which I believe takes back you to step one what the images looks like at import.  I know all about the reset button.  For my workflow just not what I am looking for.  As stated earlier depending on the adjustment being made a simple reset to step one is pretty worthless.  Temporary or not. For me reset in capture one is all or nothing. 

As noted before it's very obvious to me now that for many people working with raw files and Phase One possibly, the screen showing the history of all adjustments is not needed. 

Thankfully the folks at Adobe and LR do.  I just need to start figuring out how to use the LR tool that works out LCC processing.

Paul Caldwell

Hi Paul,

I was referring to QWZ's suggestion which is not necessary if you use the step I mentioned.

A historical list of steps is not something I personally miss in Capture One (although I would miss it enormously in Photoshop!).  But I can see why some may find it useful.

David
David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

AreBee

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2013, 08:43:13 am »

John,

Quote from: johnbeardy
...Lr history is more like a record of transactions which may not be an oddity in general database-driven apps but is certainly so in this class of software. Unless you can cite another raw converter or photo cataloging app that offers it...

If I understand Paul correctly, Capture NX2 is another RAW converter that lists adjustments made by the photographer as a series of steps.

Like Paul, I too enjoy having a list that indicates adjustments in the order in which they have been made, which may be re-edited, moved within the 'stack', toggled on/off or deleted if need be, at any time. An undo button, by comparison, strikes me as a crude alternative solution, as it does not allow the photographer to see the effect of a change made to an earlier adjustment within the context of the effect of later adjustments. At least, not without having to reapply the subsequent steps again, which presumably requires the photographer to remember or note down the relevant value adopted for them.

Cheers,

hubell

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2013, 11:50:35 am »

I personally find the history feature of LR invaluable. I cannot imagine why it is not already included in C1. This is just another reason why I dislike working in C1 so much. I do use it because it does a better job on certain files, but I much prefer the experience of working in LR.

tho_mas

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2013, 07:19:34 pm »

Personally I have no idea why I would have a "history" in a RAW Converter. A single "undo"/"redo" does do it for me.

Yet another feature request that would overload the software ...

AreBee

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2013, 05:17:40 am »

tho_mas,

Quote from: tho_mas
Yet another feature request that would overload the software ...

Given the fact that RAW converters exist which provide a history but do not overload it, the above clearly is not the case.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2013, 10:23:04 am »

From my memory, Rob, NX's steps are less like LR's history and if anything close to C1's layers. But even if they qualify, that's only one other raw converter or DAM that has the feature.

Still, overloading the software is as cheap a counter-argument as accusing Photoshop of bloat just because you don't need some of its newer features.

John
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 03:57:26 pm by johnbeardy »

AreBee

« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2013, 03:18:39 pm »

John,

Quote from: johnbeardy
From my memory, Rob, NX's steps as less like LR's history and if anything close to C1's layers.

I happily defer to you - I can't vouch for LR, having never used it, and I currently am in the process of evaluating C1 on a trial basis and therefore am not fully proficient with it.

...even if they qualify, that's only one other raw converter or DAM that has the feature.

To be fair, you only asked for an example. :)

Cheers,
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up