Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: LuLa, what's happening to you?  (Read 20177 times)

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
Re: LuLa, what's happening to you?
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2013, 02:30:42 pm »

I am now 120% focused on Luminous-Landscape.  

Kevin Raber

Holy mother of Ansel, even arithmatic is being Rabered!

My 0.02 USD:  the site HAS changed (the changes are obvious), and will continue to change.  I ate heartily from the "free lunch", and remain indebted to Michael (and others) for generously sharing their knowledge.  He did, and continues to do, a great service to Photography.  I also purchased numerous videos (most recently the interview with Ctein).  I also (full disclosure) block as many ads (from all WWW sites) as I can (using, among others, AdBlock — recommended).  Sites I frequent that allow subscriptions, I subscribe to (e.g.: Reid Reviews — also recommended).  I do not expect to subscribe to LuLa.  Video remains, for me, a slow, clumsy, and usually un-ordered means of knowledge transmission.  The recent editorial content — verbal and visual — has not interested _me_.  I use Aperture (I'm a Certified Pro), and do not use LightRoom.

Am I sorry to see LuLa change?  Yes.
Do I matter to LuLa?  No.

Should a publisher ever publish the statement I quoted?  You decide.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 03:02:30 pm by KirbyKrieger »

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2013, 02:35:26 pm »

Lula is and continues to be, the #1 hangout for anyone who is serious and passionate about their photography and is run by people who are serious and passionate about their photography, long may it continue...

Dave

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2013, 02:46:14 pm »

Lula is for me one of the few sites i find interesting enough to visit daily;
The content of the forum and the articles are feeded by people who usually know what they are talking about.
I have learned a great deal through Lula.
In the age of internet there is loads of information- the problem now is to filter the valid information.
Lula is such a filter and doing a good job, now and before.
Thanks to Michael and his team and all the people the site has attracted to its forum.
So thank you all!   :)
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

nutcracker

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2013, 05:01:04 pm »

totally agree with two posts immediately above

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2013, 05:22:34 pm »

... I am now 120% focused on Luminous-Landscape...

And it shows  ;)

MarkL

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2013, 05:26:17 pm »

Lula is and continues to be, the #1 hangout for anyone who is serious and passionate about their photography and is run by people who are serious and passionate about their photography, long may it continue...

Dave

Agreed, it is pitched at an audience that is pretty clued up technically and that is appreciated.  More recently I feel it has lost it's way, the strength has been technical discussion and I'm not sure articles on creativity etc. have been very good, there are certainly a couple of contributors I could do without reading anything from.

Rob C

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2013, 04:00:23 am »

Agreed, it is pitched at an audience that is pretty clued up technically and that is appreciated.  More recently I feel it has lost it's way, the strength has been technical discussion and I'm not sure articles on creativity etc. have been very good, there are certainly a couple of contributors I could do without reading anything from.

Mark, technical is easy: it's pretty much black and white and how-to.

Scribbling well about creativity is impossible because of our old friend: subjectivity. What pleases one segment will inflame another, or, worse, bore him to sleep. Apart from the ulcer of objectivity, writing about art requires a very clear view from the bridge, and I suspect that most of us who find ourselves paddling in that particular swamp lack a clear view of anything; were it not so, I doubt we'd find ourselves in such a mess in the first place! I suspect that the world of art is the general depository of the bewildered.

Rob C

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2013, 05:06:28 am »

Mark, technical is easy: it's pretty much black and white and how-to.

Scribbling well about creativity is impossible because of our old friend: subjectivity. What pleases one segment will inflame another, or, worse, bore him to sleep. Apart from the ulcer of objectivity, writing about art requires a very clear view from the bridge, and I suspect that most of us who find ourselves paddling in that particular swamp lack a clear view of anything; were it not so, I doubt we'd find ourselves in such a mess in the first place! I suspect that the world of art is the general depository of the bewildered.

Rob C

Rob - with all due respect to your age and experience - I find your last sentence naive.
Its much worse.
Humanity itself is the incarnation of bewilderment.

I think this thread is reflecting the upcoming X-mas regression and winter blues.
We want more presents !
Where is mommy?
I want ... I want ... I want ... MMMMOOOOOOAAAARRRRRRR ....

After new years eve it will all become better...
:D

Cheers
~Chris

Rob C

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2013, 08:36:54 am »

Rob - with all due respect to your age and experience - I find your last sentence naive.
Its much worse.
Humanity itself is the incarnation of bewilderment.

I think this thread is reflecting the upcoming X-mas regression and winter blues.
We want more presents !
Where is mommy?
I want ... I want ... I want ... MMMMOOOOOOAAAARRRRRRR ....

After new years eve it will all become better...
:D

Cheers
~Chris

You don't want to quote that: if you do, you endanger us all to another bout of the Goldens!

;-)

Rob C

michael

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2013, 09:07:54 am »

Thank you all for your observations.

What I learned many years ago is that the truism "You can't please all of the people all of the time" is in fact true. What a surprise.

So instead, what I have tried to do is write about and publish what interests me. This now applies with Kevin as well, since we see almost eye-to-eye on everything related to LuLa.

Fourteen years ago, when this was one of the only places on the net where reliable information on digital technology and image processing was available, we served one purpose. Now we are more focused on other aspects of photography and serve another. We don't try and satisfy any one type of reader. We simply try and satisfy ourselves.

As a consequence some people will be left behind. Some will find a greater attraction. That's simply the nature of a web site that has more than 1 million people visiting every month. There is no common factor to be met or attended to. So, we do what we wish, and we answer to no one except ourselves.

If your interests match ours to one extent or another, that's great. Welcome. If not, sorry to say goodby.

Any other course of action on our part would be frustrating to the max, because we would find ourselves torn in a million directions.

Michael
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 02:36:11 pm by michael »

nutcracker

« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2013, 12:22:02 pm »

Absolutely the attitude required to live rather than merely exist or survive.
Well done.
I hope you continue on this track long into the future.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2013, 01:47:10 pm »

Absolutely the attitude required to live rather than merely exist or survive.
Well done.
I hope you continue on this track long into the future.
+100.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

billmac

• McClure Photography, LLC
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2013, 10:22:44 pm »

Michael, I took the original post as constructive feedback, but it appears that is neither wanted or valued.

The arrogance is astounding.

I wish you and your millions of fanboys the best.

Bye, bye
Bill McClure

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2013, 10:50:21 pm »

Bye, bye
Bill McClure

See ya...don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out :~)

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2013, 02:23:04 am »

"the site is just less interesting and the focus has changed quite a bit over the years."
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2013, 02:29:36 am »

"the site is just less interesting and the focus has changed quite a bit over the years."

And, your point is?

If the site is less interesting to some but more to others what is the problem?

This stuff averages out over time...if you give it time.

stamper

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2013, 06:00:36 am »

If some don't find this site to be up to the standard they think it should be then it would be interesting to see what they consider to be "better"?

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2013, 06:03:53 am »

If the site is less interesting to some but more to others what is the problem?
This stuff averages out over time...if you give it time.
Not necessarily. Sometimes sites stay relevant and some become completely irrelevant and completely vanish.

One of the things I always liked about LuLa were the informed articles about the new technology and equipment in photography. Obviously this is a maturing market, so there will be less need for this sort of thing. But I'd imagine a lot of forum users also came here originally because of those kind of articles, so that needs to be borne in mind.
And being rude to new folks is probably not a good idea.

Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

stamper

« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2013, 06:19:20 am »

And being rude to new folks is probably not a good idea.
Quote from: Schewe on Today at 02:50:21 AM

Michael, I took the original post as constructive feedback, but it appears that is neither wanted or valued.

The arrogance is astounding.

I wish you and your millions of fanboys the best.

Bye, bye
Bill McClure

I think this was rude and Jeff's reply appropriate? He is no longer a "new folk" but one who has voluntarily departed.  :o

Rob C

« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2013, 07:00:26 am »

If some don't find this site to be up to the standard they think it should be then it would be interesting to see what they consider to be "better"?

Exactly; they might also try to set up one of their own and grow that...

I think that LuLa has several things very much going for it, quite apart from the 'what's new' sort of thing which will probably please those people still buying stuff and filled with the dream that the next lens or body will ring the doorbell to heaven.

For myself, probably atypical of most Internet travellers, I enjoy some of the regular writers here and much appreciate the digital help that I've had, willingly offered, by a lot of folks in sections where I don't normally contribute anything other than SOS signals; to me, that's pretty cool!

Additionally, I rather like the overall attitude of the 'management' which is not hung up on strict disciplines of one sort or the other, and allows conversations to develop naturally, which for myself, makes reading and writing interesting. Tied to what would amount to a digital remodelling of people and their nature, a strict 1 or 0 thing, I doubt I would have lasted this long; as it is, I've felt disenchanted a couple of times but that was to do with assholes in particular and not the site and its denizens in general. We have a great thing going here - let's hope it continues to support the freedoms that it does right now.

Rob C
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up