Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Photoshop CC & Lightroom 5 for €9.99 per month...12 month contract.  (Read 44668 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: Photoshop CC & Lightroom 5 for €9.99 per month...12 month contract.
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2013, 02:50:40 am »

For what it's worth, I think the $10/month would be very reasonable is there was an exit strategy.  I think if adobe had a policy that once you have been paying rent for 3 years you can opt out any time and keep using what you currently have.  If you want back into the rental model later the clock would start ticking again.

This model is totally tilted adobe's way.  If they fail to innovate and improve the product the customer is SOL.  The customer can't leave cause then they have nothing.

At the end of the day actions speak louder than words and adobe's actions haven't been encouraging.

Yes, this remains indeed true.

Having decided to buy into the model doesn't mean I am happy about it or have more appreciation for the kind of arm wrestling Adobe is inflicting to his customers.

But cheaper makes it less painful to wait until a transition to the perfect alternative when it shows up. I intend to keep encouraging alternatives by funding their development through the purchase of licenses.

I could have decided to sit with CS6 for the foreseable future, but I expect upcoming OSX evolutions to make it a non workable solution sooner than later. I assumed that this would happen in 2-3 years and that I would have no choice but to upgrade because of other software I am using that may not work well anymore on 10.8/10.9 OSX.

So assuming it happens in 3 years, I will have spent 360 US$ till then.

Assuming that prices stay the same, if I had started to use CC then at 24 US$ a months then (in 3 years from now), it would take 2.2 years to break even.

So after 5 years and 2 months it would have become more expensive not to have bought into CC now.

My guess is that a very good alternative will be available by then... so it may not have been a wise decision.

Future will tell.  ;D

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 02:55:36 am by BernardLanguillier »

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2013, 03:47:12 am »

Hope that helps...

Hi Mike,

Thanks for clarifying, sad that it's necessary.

On that note, I've read that after 30-days Adobe will charge subscribers 50% of the annual price as a cancellation fee...

Can you confirm that?

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

jrsforums

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2013, 05:40:52 am »

Hi Mike,

On that note, I've read that after 30-days Adobe will charge subscribers 50% of the annual price as a cancellation fee...

Can you confirm that?

Cheers,
Bart

Hi, Bart...

I expect Mike will respond for himself, but wanted to give my view.

I have seen this as a part of all the CC offerings....and think it is more than reasonable.  After all, to get the good rate....and to avoid people jumping in and out....you have signed up for a year.  Many other companies (mobile phones?) expect full payment if you cancel.  50% seems very fair.

However, Adobe, in my experience has been very fair.  When CC first came out, I went for the full trial.  About 8 months in I found I really wasn't using all the pieces and asked to change to PS only.  They allowed that and canceled the full deal with no penalty.  When the photographer option was announce, they again allowed the shift to the lower cost offer which included LR.  There were a few minor billing errors, but these were also quickly cleaned up with a phone call.  As with most customer service operations, some of the tacks in the box were sharper than others, but I found Adobe service to really try to be friendly and accommodating.
John

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2013, 06:11:58 am »

Hi, Bart...

I expect Mike will respond for himself, but wanted to give my view.

I have seen this as a part of all the CC offerings....and think it is more than reasonable.  After all, to get the good rate....and to avoid people jumping in and out....you have signed up for a year.  Many other companies (mobile phones?) expect full payment if you cancel.  50% seems very fair.

Hi John,

I have no problem with fulfilling one's obligations 100%, contract is contract. But to pay in advance? Isn't a subscription supposed to spread the cashflow over the committed period instead of the straight purchase. What happens after six months, do the payments stop (since only one year was committed to), or are you automatically locked in for another year? What happens to the upfront payment when the other party goes out of business? This seems a very one-sided surprise money grab (including interest) deal after signing up, if it's true, or was this mentioned upfront? Just asking.

Cheers,
Bart

jrsforums

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2013, 06:18:30 am »

Hi John,

I have no problem with fulfilling one's obligations 100%, contract is contract. But to pay in advance? Isn't a subscription supposed to spread the cashflow over the committed period instead of the straight purchase. What happens after six months, do the payments stop (since only one year was committed to), or are you automatically locked in for another year? What happens to the upfront payment when the other party goes out of business? This seems a very one-sided surprise money grab (including interest) deal after signing up, if it's true, or was this mentioned upfront? Just asking.

Cheers,
Bart

I think it is a pretty simple 50% of what is remaining when you ask to cancel.

So in your case, if after 6 months, you would have 6 months remaining on the contract.  50% of the remainder would be due. If you want to cancel after 8 months, the cancel fee would be 50% of 4 months.

John

chez

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2013, 07:17:26 am »

The way things are going there will be another deal around the corner.  Adobe wants to rope in as many people as possible to the subscription model.  Once you're in... 

Once you're in...you can leave at anytime? Why the dramatics?

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2013, 07:26:26 am »

Funny how the authors of trollish comments always hide behind pseudonyms....
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 07:32:20 am by johnbeardy »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2013, 09:00:39 am »

We've been over this in the past few months dozens of times.

The layers/masks/adjustments layers/transparency modes/... created in PS are valuable IP that only exists in tight connection with Photoshop's algos.

There are many cases where there is a need to go back and modify these IP assets.

There is no good solution to reuse this IP outside PS, meaning that stopping to pay the subscription means that you become unable to access these crucial IP assets of yours.

Think of it as a safe that is the only place in the universe where your money can reside... but you are forced to rent the safe...  ???

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 09:03:01 am by BernardLanguillier »

Simon Garrett

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2013, 09:52:45 am »

Funny how the authors of trollish comments always hide behind pseudonyms....
Well, I don't like the rental model either, but chez's comment is perfectly reasonable.  I don't think that makes him or her a troll.  (Or me!  :))

FWIW, I have signed up to the deal because it worked out at about the same cost I've paid in the past.  I used to upgrade Photoshop every 2 or 3 versions, and Lightroom every time.  The rental comes to a bit less than the price of upgrading Photoshop every 2 versions (if they come every 18 months), and a bit more than the price of upgrading every 3.  But they stopped you upgrading other than the immedieately previous version, so I couldn't even upgrade every 2 or 3 if I wanted to, even before they stopped perpetual licenses for future versions altogether.  I don't like it, but for me it's not a bad deal at the current price.  If they jack up the price in a year, well I've still got a CS5 and LR5 licence. 

However, few people seem to like the rental-only system, and the recent price drops have shown (I think) that it's not going to be easy for Adobe to make people switch - not without much lower prices than they'd hoped. 

Rory

• Recent images
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2013, 10:26:13 am »

Yes, this remains indeed true.

Having decided to buy into the model doesn't mean I am happy about it or have more appreciation for the kind of arm wrestling Adobe is inflicting to his customers.

But cheaper makes it less painful to wait until a transition to the perfect alternative when it shows up. I intend to keep encouraging alternatives by funding their development through the purchase of licenses.

I could have decided to sit with CS6 for the foreseable future, but I expect upcoming OSX evolutions to make it a non workable solution sooner than later. I assumed that this would happen in 2-3 years and that I would have no choice but to upgrade because of other software I am using that may not work well anymore on 10.8/10.9 OSX.

So assuming it happens in 3 years, I will have spent 360 US$ till then.

Assuming that prices stay the same, if I had started to use CC then at 24 US$ a months then (in 3 years from now), it would take 2.2 years to break even.

So after 5 years and 2 months it would have become more expensive not to have bought into CC now.

My guess is that a very good alternative will be available by then... so it may not have been a wise decision.

Future will tell.  ;D

Cheers,
Bernard

I hear you Bernard - well said.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/roryhi

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2013, 10:33:50 am »

Well, I don't like the rental model either, but chez's comment is perfectly reasonable.  I don't think that makes him or her a troll.  (Or me!  :))

In isolation, perhaps not, Simon. But chez has posted a series of similar comments questioning the validity of objections to the rental model, and knows exactly why people object to it (Bernard put it very well). That's why I called chez's post trollish.

John

Simon Garrett

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2013, 11:12:38 am »

In isolation, perhaps not, Simon. But chez has posted a series of similar comments questioning the validity of objections to the rental model, and knows exactly why people object to it (Bernard put it very well). That's why I called chez's post trollish.

John
Understood.

MikeChambers

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2013, 12:11:52 pm »

Hi Mike,

Can you confirm that?

Cheers,
Bart

If you do a yearly plan, there is a penalty for canceling it after the first month (this applies to all yearly plans, and is one reason the yearly plans are cheaper than month by month).

Hope that clarifies for you.

mike chambers

mesh@adobe.com

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2013, 12:17:50 pm »

If you do a yearly plan, there is a penalty for canceling it after the first month (this applies to all yearly plans, and is one reason the yearly plans are cheaper than month by month).

Hope that clarifies for you.

Hi Mike,

Partly, it confirms the 6(?) month penalty. So that could mean that after 11 months, cancelling during that 11th month, would carry a 6(?) month penalty? Is there anything written available, or does one have to find out when already committed?

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 12:19:27 pm by BartvanderWolf »

Remo Nonaz

• Photography By Homer Shannnon
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2013, 12:36:32 pm »

I think this is a fantastic and generous offer. If you only upgrade Lightroom annually at $79, it costs you about $7.00 a month. For $5.00 a month more you get CS6? How can you beat that deal? I'm in.
I really enjoy using old primes on my m4/3 camera. There's something about having to choose your aperture and actually focusing your camera that makes it so much more like... like... PHOTOGRAPHY!

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2013, 01:17:09 pm »

Just so you guys are clear (some seem are not) it says right on the Adobe site that the $9.99/mos price is ONLY for the first year, then you are renewed at the REGULAR price (double, right now).  It's not $9.99 forever.

SZRitter

« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2013, 01:36:36 pm »

Just so you guys are clear (some seem are not) it says right on the Adobe site that the $9.99/mos price is ONLY for the first year, then you are renewed at the REGULAR price (double, right now).  It's not $9.99 forever.

And this is the one thing that is making me hesitate. Really, I wish it had been a two year pricing at $9.99, then I would hesitate a bit less.

Overall, not a bad price on that first year. After that....

Fernando Marrero

• www.fernandomarrero.com
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2013, 02:04:50 pm »

From an Adobe representant in Adobe forums:

"The important thing to note is that the $9.99 price is not an introductory price for a year.  This is the regular price for this plan.
We cannot guarantee that the price will stay exactly the same year after year - it may go up, it may go down.  We don't have plans to change the price, but just like all of our other prices for our services and products, the prices may change in the future.
Hope this helps.

Thanks

Bev"

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5865261#5865261

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2013, 02:05:45 pm »

Just so you guys are clear (some seem are not) it says right on the Adobe site that the $9.99/mos price is ONLY for the first year, then you are renewed at the REGULAR price (double, right now).  It's not $9.99 forever.

To say "double" is clearly misleading. See John Nack: "As before, the intention is not to get you in at $9.99/mo., then crank up the price after a year. $9.99 is the expected ongoing price."

tuthill

« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2013, 03:53:11 pm »

The REGULAR price is $9.99 for this package.  That doesn't mean it won't go up after a year but it would be quite unusual for a REGULAR price to double IMHO.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up