Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon Df. Pure photography vs. a million dials and buttons.  (Read 77298 times)

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
Re: Nikon Df. Pure photography vs. a million dials and buttons.
« Reply #180 on: December 10, 2013, 10:15:04 am »

OK, you are 100% right.

But are these things the only ones you dislike about the Df?
You mean things apart from the entire basis of the [very good] marketing for it? Not really important as I was commenting on things relevant to how it was being sold. I'm sure it takes as nice a picture as other cameras with the same sensor.

I'm not overly fond of Nikons, too fiddly and faffy and every time I've used one and got stuck on something quite basic, I've asked the expert or other Nikon users and they've been stumped too. Even the guy from Nikon demoing the Df was baffled as to how the camera worked in some areas - which is pretty shocking and not the first time this has happened with Nikon kit.
Mind you, whoever is responsible for the interfaces on Canon flashes wants a good flogging and the reasoning/methodology behind how they work with the camera is also ridiculously arcane. Interestingly I've noticed a couple of die-hard Nikon fans Scott Kelby and Glyn Dewis have recently swapped to Canon, but they also now tend to use studio flashes rather than speedlights. Maybe there's a connection, because if they still used the by all account much better Nikon flashes, maybe they wouldn't have changed brands.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

bcooter

« Reply #181 on: December 10, 2013, 01:33:56 pm »

Everytime I pass a d800 and think, yea that's a good deal, my brane flips back to  the orange skin tones of the D3, D4 and how much I hate that NX or Nick (or whatever it's called) software.

Then I pass and thank myself for not blowing 3 grand.

IMO

BC

LKaven

« Reply #182 on: December 10, 2013, 02:26:36 pm »

Everytime I pass a d800 and think, yea that's a good deal, my brane flips back to  the orange skin tones of the D3, D4 and how much I hate that NX or Nick (or whatever it's called) software.

Very different sensor technology in the D3, D4, and D800. 

When it comes to NX, hate away.  But CaptureOne does a great job on these files.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #183 on: December 10, 2013, 06:15:47 pm »

BC,

Are you saying you have never used a D800?

Cheers,
Bernard

Rob C

« Reply #184 on: December 11, 2013, 11:13:55 am »

Looked at one, for the price, wasn't my cup of tea.    At that price range, I would rather go with the D800.

For my 2 cents  worth, it still boils down to the fact that Nikon still has not brought out a true successor to the D700, which I think they got darned near perfect at the time.  The D800 is slower, the D600 is not as sturdy and lacks some basic features  that the D700 has,  and the Df, well, it lack basics like dual card slots.

I think Nikon keeps dancing around the D700.  I don't know what their thinking is, but I wonder, in some cases, is the  panning of the Df is related directly or indirectly to the fact that many of us are disappointed in Nikon for not coming out with a simple upgrade to the D700?

Thank you! As a D700 owner, I feel I have actually made a good digital decision.

;-)

Rob C

allegretto

« Reply #185 on: December 15, 2013, 11:59:45 pm »

1+

This right here is why I switched from Nikon to Canon. Someone at Nikon design thinks skin is firmly in the red/orange/pink family. So is the rest of the World too, I guess. Yes, it can be somewhat cleaned up PP, but the color right OOC in Canons just looks better to my eye. Some may differ, and that's fine for them. Don't want to inflame anyone.

Secondly, I like the Canon glass family better too.

But curiously many seem to be dissing many of the latest cameras not because they are not good, they all are. But as with every design, there are trade-offs and folks can always find something to not like about any camera. We used to carry multiple backs since we needed different film for different situations. Maybe bodies should be looked upon as "backs" and one should carry or own a couple of different ones for varying situations. Bodies/features will come and go, As far as equipment it's about the lenses IMHO anyway.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #186 on: December 16, 2013, 05:36:11 am »

IMO

BC

I have very much the same, hated the orange skin tones. The d800 was even worse initially when using LR however C1 is doing a really nice job with skin tones! I even got myself a license for C1v7 just for that reason..

TMARK

« Reply #187 on: December 16, 2013, 09:40:12 am »

I have very much the same, hated the orange skin tones. The d800 was even worse initially when using LR however C1 is doing a really nice job with skin tones! I even got myself a license for C1v7 just for that reason..

It was really bad at first.  easy enough to fix in PS, but what a pain in the ass.  C1 seems best for D800 files.  The NIK software, with a little tweak, can get there too, but its like using DOS compared to C1 and LR.  In LR I would apply DNG neutral and dial in the color.  It was painful compared to an M9 or Fuji file, which looks great OOC.  The only tweek to the M9 color for skin, as opposed to a treatment, is dialing back the reds just a bit.  The hue is correct, just a little over saturated.

TMARK

« Reply #188 on: December 16, 2013, 09:43:38 am »

I like 5d2 and 1ds3 color the best of any DSLR.  Straight from LR or C1, or DPP.  I sold the bodoes but kept the lenses, waiting for a model with better DR.

I do not like teh look of the Nikon G lenses.  This is just taste, they are good lenses, but they are too modern.  They scream DIGITAL to me.  The 28 1.8G is a sharp, sharp lens but I much prefer teh rendering of the 28 AIS.  It just looks more organic.

1+

This right here is why I switched from Nikon to Canon. Someone at Nikon design thinks skin is firmly in the red/orange/pink family. So is the rest of the World too, I guess. Yes, it can be somewhat cleaned up PP, but the color right OOC in Canons just looks better to my eye. Some may differ, and that's fine for them. Don't want to inflame anyone.

Secondly, I like the Canon glass family better too.

But curiously many seem to be dissing many of the latest cameras not because they are not good, they all are. But as with every design, there are trade-offs and folks can always find something to not like about any camera. We used to carry multiple backs since we needed different film for different situations. Maybe bodies should be looked upon as "backs" and one should carry or own a couple of different ones for varying situations. Bodies/features will come and go, As far as equipment it's about the lenses IMHO anyway.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #189 on: December 16, 2013, 10:40:47 am »

Agreed, the G lenses have a rendering that is not always that pleasant. I find the rendition of colors 'thin, fragile or frail' if that makes sense to you. A pleasant surprise seems to be the new 58, don't get it for sharpness but the rendition is definitely very pleasing with 'fat' colors.

TMARK

« Reply #190 on: December 16, 2013, 11:18:14 am »

Makes perfect sense.  They look thin, like they could be easily scratched or something.  I have older lenses which are much more pleasant for breathing subjects.

Agreed, the G lenses have a rendering that is not always that pleasant. I find the rendition of colors 'thin, fragile or frail' if that makes sense to you.

allegretto

« Reply #191 on: December 16, 2013, 12:19:59 pm »

I like 5d2 and 1ds3 color the best of any DSLR.  Straight from LR or C1, or DPP.  I sold the bodoes but kept the lenses, waiting for a model with better DR.

I do not like teh look of the Nikon G lenses.  This is just taste, they are good lenses, but they are too modern.  They scream DIGITAL to me.  The 28 1.8G is a sharp, sharp lens but I much prefer teh rendering of the 28 AIS.  It just looks more organic.

Yes, yes.... there are many that seem to proclaim the Nikons are soooo much better with DR. And of course DxO ratings are there to lean on as "proof".

However if you scratch the surface, even the vaunted D800, does have nearly two stops... at ISO 200. Turn the dial and the "superiority" evaporates rather quickly and the D800 has less DR than my 6D (a darn good little bugger!). By ISO 800 the Nikon is sucking wind (sensorgen.info). Sensor efficiency drops (-e) but it does have low read noise (but the 1Dx whups it and the 6D catches up)

Now if you're true pro, your clients are telling you that your work lacks DR, you have the studio or limit your shooting to ISO 200 or less, etc.... then by all means you are right to scratch and claw for every pixel and DR you can find... and go home at night proud of yourself.

Guys like me shoot in all kinds of light, all kinds of subjects, still and fast moving, so I can sometimes use, and do when possible use ISO 200. But often find myself significantly faster. And, even at ISO 200 don't look at the Canon's images and say, "gee I wish I had another stop or two of DR". But that's just me.

Color fidelity, sensor superiority at higher ISO and lens choices more than makes up for the low ISO DR in my World. YMMV, of course...

TMARK

« Reply #192 on: December 16, 2013, 12:56:49 pm »

I base my need for better DR on my own experience as an editorial and commercial photographer, although I don't shoot commercially anymore.  The D800 files are more flexible and have cleaner shadows than any Canon I've used, which is meaningful to me when working the files in post.  Pulling in a blown sky on a D800 file is not an issue.  I can shoot a D800 like I did film or any of the MF backs I owned/rented.  In fact its better than the backs in many respects.

I'm not taking a dump on Canon, I still have the lenses and the color, but in reality the D800 is better for what I shoot/shot than the 5D2/3, 1ds3. 

I've never looked at sensor test data, DXO, etc in my life.  I've owned every full frame Canon, save for the 6D and 1dx.  I've used or owned every full frame Nikon, and the D200 and D2x.  I also owned or rented digi backs from the Valeo22, Sinar 54M, Aptus 75, 54s, 17, P30+ and P25.     

Yes, yes.... there are many that seem to proclaim the Nikons are soooo much better with DR. And of course DxO ratings are there to lean on as "proof".

However if you scratch the surface, even the vaunted D800, does have nearly two stops... at ISO 200. Turn the dial and the "superiority" evaporates rather quickly and the D800 has less DR than my 6D (a darn good little bugger!). By ISO 800 the Nikon is sucking wind (sensorgen.info). Sensor efficiency drops (-e) but it does have low read noise (but the 1Dx whups it and the 6D catches up)

Now if you're true pro, your clients are telling you that your work lacks DR, you have the studio or limit your shooting to ISO 200 or less, etc.... then by all means you are right to scratch and claw for every pixel and DR you can find... and go home at night proud of yourself.

Guys like me shoot in all kinds of light, all kinds of subjects, still and fast moving, so I can sometimes use, and do when possible use ISO 200. But often find myself significantly faster. And, even at ISO 200 don't look at the Canon's images and say, "gee I wish I had another stop or two of DR". But that's just me.

Color fidelity, sensor superiority at higher ISO and lens choices more than makes up for the low ISO DR in my World. YMMV, of course...

allegretto

« Reply #193 on: December 16, 2013, 02:31:24 pm »

Heck yeah... I get it. You're far more experienced and look at things differently. It's only a hobby for me, not a living. In my field I was (retired now) very prickly about my equipment and it's output. But we all are prisoners of our lives experiences or lack thereof and my ignorance is a blessing. The glass is expensive enough!

I was reasonably happy with my D4 (as I said, high ISO is a hoot for me)  but the lugging factor was getting to me and was contemplating a new body. Got a 7100, but the smaller sensor did bug me. The D4 as backup made it livable and was about to dive deep into Nikkor glass.

But decided to go with C1 since the ability to work with files remotely on my laptop and synch is very cool for my habits. Then during the Great Migration stumbled on my old 1Ds Mk II files and was immediately arrested by the colors...! To my eye they were like fresh air and rented a 6D for a day and bought one right away. For some reason Canon colors are much more "real" to me. But it's a taste thing and modern PP makes it easy to get Canon-like colors from Nikons when someone like yourself or many here with the right experience take over.

OTOH, someone like me needs all the help they can get...

I base my need for better DR on my own experience as an editorial and commercial photographer, although I don't shoot commercially anymore.  The D800 files are more flexible and have cleaner shadows than any Canon I've used, which is meaningful to me when working the files in post.  Pulling in a blown sky on a D800 file is not an issue.  I can shoot a D800 like I did film or any of the MF backs I owned/rented.  In fact its better than the backs in many respects.

I'm not taking a dump on Canon, I still have the lenses and the color, but in reality the D800 is better for what I shoot/shot than the 5D2/3, 1ds3. 

I've never looked at sensor test data, DXO, etc in my life.  I've owned every full frame Canon, save for the 6D and 1dx.  I've used or owned every full frame Nikon, and the D200 and D2x.  I also owned or rented digi backs from the Valeo22, Sinar 54M, Aptus 75, 54s, 17, P30+ and P25.     

bcooter

« Reply #194 on: December 16, 2013, 02:57:38 pm »

BC,

Are you saying you have never used a D800?

Cheers,
Bernard

No didn't say that, but never extensively.  Someone had one on set,  I carry our Nikon glass usually F for one RED1 but the newer G for the Scarlet if needed as backup as I use PL for the other red one and Canon mont  for the scarlet., so anyway I tossed a g lens on a d800 and shot some with led and with hmi.

I won't buy a d800, doubt any Nikon, I just fight the color too much.

I didn't like it, but I don't like new Nikon G glass, though I love the 200 F2.   That lens is magical and much nicer than Canon's version.

Honestly I can't tell you which cameras I like right now*, because I'm tired with working huge hours.

IMO

BC

*Actually not true.  It's taken me 6 months to understand the oly em-5.   That may sound stretched but since the camera is a lab, the processor is a lab, combining the two you end up with a million settings and the olympus is sensitive.

I've done some stupid in store testing with the Sony A7 and the Olympus twice and both times the olympus produced a better file and better look, though that's stupid in store testing.

I think I now have the olympus to look as more like my m8 as any cmos camera can.

I was predisposed to buy an A7 or two since I have two zeiss A mount zooms (which I like) but regardless of what I do, the A7 file doesn't hold up in look as well as the Olympus (I know that makes no sense given the size) and it seems to have a lot of shutter slap or blur.  Kind of dissapointing but once again, this is stupid in store testing.

IMO

BC
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 03:18:09 pm by bcooter »

MrSmith27

« Reply #195 on: February 05, 2014, 10:44:17 am »

Wow, I almost regret my intitial criticism. Maybe I should just be happy that at least Nikon isn't releasing Hasselblad-style crap?

Theodoros

« Reply #196 on: February 05, 2014, 03:38:06 pm »

Is "pure photography" relevant into using an SD card on a 3000 camera?

Isleofgough

« Reply #197 on: February 05, 2014, 03:51:58 pm »

I would echo that C1 Pro gets the skin tones pretty good, unlike Lightroom (without a lot of tweaking) for the D800e

Lee Roberts

« Reply #198 on: February 10, 2014, 09:34:40 pm »

This is a complex question. Albeit, there are no easy answers.

First, Nikon wanted to do something different that didn't involve placing the 16MP FX sensor in their $6k flagship into a a sub $3k DSLR. They learned better from the D700. Secondly, get over the D700. It's a has-been and the ISO capabilities are VASTLY overrated -- especially for such a LOW MP count on a FF sensor. I had one. I sold for the 5d2, which offered WAY more bang for the buck -- build quality and AF aside.

Third, Nikon obviously felt the D600/D610 has a bad rep so they had to release another form factor -- again, that was not built like the D800 with the $6k 16MP sensor. SO......they cut corners and cut features. As we all know, you get the same sensor in the Df as the flagship D4(s)....and as we all know the price will drop faster than a loaded missle. In a year, they will be available for the same price as the D600/610 IMHO. The Df may LOOK cheaply made, but I'm sure it's high quality. As far as the dials, again, they had to do SOMETHING different so that their FX lineup would not be a homogenous cluster-f#ck. I applaud them for taking a chance. Something very few companies do these days. Nintendo comes to mind in this regard.

The dials are useful for people learning photography because, frankly, it's easy to set a DSLR on P mode and let the processor do the rest. I'm guilty of it....and my knowledge of photography has been stunted because of this. The one SD card is shameful I will gladly admit, as is the AF system, for this price. But I'm sure for the right situation this DSLR will prove more than adequate given its specs. Lastly, again guys, please lay the D700 argument to rest. It's an outdated design and highly overrated. There are PLENTY on the market so go buy 2-3 if you'd like. But know that you'll never squeeze more than 12 MP out of it. Ever.

Telecaster

« Reply #199 on: February 10, 2014, 10:42:14 pm »

Lastly, again guys, please lay the D700 argument to rest. It's an outdated design and highly overrated. There are PLENTY on the market so go buy 2-3 if you'd like. But know that you'll never squeeze more than 12 MP out of it. Ever.

Unless you make, or plan to make, big prints...who cares if it's only 12mp? 12mp is good enough for 4k display, if/when that results in a nice big calibrated TV I can put in my rec room. Over the weekend I re-processed the RAWs of the last photos I took of my dad, in mid 2009, using a D300 (also 12mp). They look great on my monitor, great on my 40" TV and I'm sure they'd look great in a 14x21" print if I wanted to make one.

Mind you, I'm not advocating that anyone run out and buy a D700 at this point. (I doubt I'll ever buy another SLR, period. I'm a confirmed mirrorless/EVF guy.) But if you already have one and like it, no need to stop using it.

-Dave-
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up