Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon Df. Pure photography vs. a million dials and buttons.  (Read 77297 times)

TMARK

Re: Nikon Df. Pure photography vs. a million dials and buttons.
« Reply #160 on: November 14, 2013, 04:02:28 pm »

Viviane and her undeveloped rolls of 120.  Swooon.

At least she got an editor.  I believe that she would go on trips just to shoot, like to NYC from Chicago.  She very well may have had a self assignment when she went shooting.  Whatever her motivation, she did beautiful work.

Telecaster

« Reply #161 on: November 14, 2013, 05:34:28 pm »

Early last week I got my copy of Vivian Maier Self-Portraits. Makes you shake your head in wonder. I gather she came from a family with good æsthetic sensibilities and was well-educated, maybe even schooled a bit in photo basics, but still...some people just have it. Of course it'd be interesting to see her unedited rolls too...a photographer's misses are often as educative as their hits. But her work is far too good to be the result of occasional serendipity.

-Dave-

Rob C

« Reply #162 on: November 15, 2013, 09:54:37 am »

Early last week I got my copy of Vivian Maier Self-Portraits. Makes you shake your head in wonder. I gather she came from a family with good æsthetic sensibilities and was well-educated, maybe even schooled a bit in photo basics, but still...some people just have it. Of course it'd be interesting to see her unedited rolls too...a photographer's misses are often as educative as their hits. But her work is far too good to be the result of occasional serendipity.

-Dave-

Dave, that should be writ large at the head of every 'Critique' thread.

Of course, then there would be nothing left about which to pontificate, and we could all go get an early night's sleep...

Rob C

Isaac

« Reply #163 on: November 15, 2013, 12:03:02 pm »

'You see, the extraordinary thing about photography is that it's a truly popular medium... But this has nothing to do with the art of photography even though the same materials and the same mechanical devices are used. Thoreau said years ago, "You can't say more than you see." No matter what lens you use, no matter what the speed of the film is, no matter how you develop it, no matter how you print it, you cannot say more than you see. That's what that means, and that's the truth.'   

Paul Strand, Aperture 19(1), 1974.

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
Nikon Pure Video is possible too !
« Reply #164 on: November 16, 2013, 07:29:32 am »

Today I played with Nikon SDK and got pure videography out of my D700. No sound, huge lag... pure video. Sure it will be possible with the DF as well :)

http://youtu.be/8ikIdkgtDPA
Kind Regards -  Hulyss Bowman | hulyssbowman.com |

Telecaster

« Reply #165 on: November 16, 2013, 04:25:30 pm »

Hah! Maybe YouTube will soon be awash in Nostalgia My Arse! Df videos.   :D

If you can do this with a D700 I imagine the same is possible with the D300...

-Dave-

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #166 on: November 16, 2013, 04:34:20 pm »

Hah! Maybe YouTube will soon be awash in Nostalgia My Arse! Df videos.   :D

If you can do this with a D700 I imagine the same is possible with the D300...

-Dave-

Yes it is  :D but I do not recommand to do it just because sensor is not designed for it. But it is fun do do :)
Kind Regards -  Hulyss Bowman | hulyssbowman.com |

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #167 on: November 21, 2013, 02:01:29 pm »

And why does the build quality look so bad? Mind you, I haven't touched a Df yet but the available press photos are of very high quality and certainly show the camera in the best possible light. Yet everywhere I can see difference in materials, seams, tiny gaps etc. We live in a time where laptops are machined out of a single piece of aluminum and this is the best Nikon can come up with?
I had a play with one today and much to my surprise it looks cheap, with a tacky texture on pentaprism and the retro style dials are plasticky and even worse wobbly. This was pointed out by a chap who had pre-ordered one as he was entranced by the retro marketing promise and he was quite underwhelmed. Don't think he'll be taking his order and from chatting to him, he seemed exactly the sort of person the camera was aimed at. Used to own FM2s + F3s in the past and still had Leica film cameras as well as a D800.  
The retro dials don't seem to add anything but clutter/fiddlyness and manual focusing was no better than usual. And £2,700!! Both of us thought the new Olympus and Sony FF felt like much more expensive solidly made cameras. Much cheaper too.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

MarkL

« Reply #168 on: November 24, 2013, 07:30:33 am »

I had a play with one today and much to my surprise it looks cheap, with a tacky texture on pentaprism and the retro style dials are plasticky and even worse wobbly. This was pointed out by a chap who had pre-ordered one as he was entranced by the retro marketing promise and he was quite underwhelmed. Don't think he'll be taking his order and from chatting to him, he seemed exactly the sort of person the camera was aimed at. Used to own FM2s + F3s in the past and still had Leica film cameras as well as a D800.  
The retro dials don't seem to add anything but clutter/fiddlyness and manual focusing was no better than usual. And £2,700!! Both of us thought the new Olympus and Sony FF felt like much more expensive solidly made cameras. Much cheaper too.

Similar thing with the fuji cameras, the build is nowhere near the FM/FE etc.

Lightsmith

« Reply #169 on: December 08, 2013, 09:17:31 pm »

The very inexpensive cameras like the D3200 have far less dials than the pro level cameras and this may seem less confusing but who want to go into a menu to change the exposure mode or the ISO setting or the shutter speed or aperture or EV offset?

Want simple get a Nikon Coolpix camera. With the Coolpix all you have to do is point and shoot.

jjj

« Reply #170 on: December 09, 2013, 05:45:56 am »

Other cameras manage all that without menus or the confusing and messy interface of the Df.
The retro shutter speed dial is completely superfluos, because if you need to change in 1/3 stop increments you have to use a different control. So why even bother with the less useful, more fiddly and wobbly retro dial?
It's simply a lame attempt to jump on the retro styling that other makes have far more succesfully pulled off.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #171 on: December 09, 2013, 09:00:46 pm »

For what it is worth, the Df seems to be the best selling non compact digital camera in Japan at the moment according to www.kakaku.com. It occupies both the top (body) and 5th position (kit).

http://kakaku.com/camera/digital-slr-camera/ranking_0049/

Cheers,
Bernard

jjj

« Reply #172 on: December 09, 2013, 09:40:50 pm »

For what it is worth, the Df seems to be the best selling non compact digital camera in Japan at the moment according to www.kakaku.com.
The Daily Mail is the one of the UK's best selling newspapers and has the world's busiest news paper website. This does not make it any good as it's still a steaming pile of mendacious garbage.
Now seeing as the Nikon's just been released, it's bound to do well relatively speaking.
Also are these the genuine sales figures for all cameras sold in Japan.

TMARK

« Reply #173 on: December 09, 2013, 09:58:33 pm »

I mean no offense, but I don't understand your strong feeling about the Df. I'm not interested so I move on.

The Daily Mail is the one of the UK's best selling newspapers and has the world's busiest news paper website. This does not make it any good as it's still a steaming pile of mendacious garbage.
Now seeing as the Nikon's just been released, it's bound to do well relatively speaking.
Also are these the genuine sales figures for all cameras sold in Japan.

jjj

« Reply #174 on: December 09, 2013, 10:21:27 pm »

I don't have strong feelings about it. I just happened to be in my local dealer when they had a demo on. Tried it out and was very underwhelmed, as was the guy who had pre-ordered one.
I think you are confusing my dislike for an unpleasant newspaper with an observation about the Df.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #175 on: December 09, 2013, 10:44:37 pm »

I think you are confusing my dislike for an unpleasant newspaper with an observation about the Df.

You've just made my day here!  ;D

If this confusion were to happen, it would have been strongly encouraged by your usage of the newspaper analogy... wouldn't it have?  ;)

More seriously, I also don't get it. Please tell us about the cameras you like and why you like them instead of commenting as nausea about cameras you don't like. I am sure you realize that your dislike is only personal to you and that those photographers interested in the potential of the Df as a solution to some photographic challenges of theirs will be more than capable of making up their own mind?

I am not going to buy one, so what?

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 10:46:23 pm by BernardLanguillier »

Isaac

« Reply #176 on: December 09, 2013, 11:03:46 pm »

according to www.kakaku.com

Approximate sales could be interesting, but a ranking isn't.

jjj

« Reply #177 on: December 10, 2013, 05:51:33 am »

You've just made my day here!  ;D

If this confusion were to happen, it would have been strongly encouraged by your usage of the newspaper analogy... wouldn't it have?  ;)
Only by someone who doesn't bother to read posts properly.  :P
It was a counterpoint to your post, which you have chosen to sidestep rather than address.

More seriously, I also don't get it. Please tell us about the cameras you like and why you like them instead of commenting as nausea about cameras you don't like. I am sure you realize that your dislike is only personal to you and that those photographers interested in the potential of the Df as a solution to some photographic challenges of theirs will be more than capable of making up their own mind?

I am not going to buy one, so what?
So why are you commenting then? Are only Nikon fanbois allowed to have a view on the Df?  
I am completely brand agnostic and open to use any new camera, if it fits a purpose/my hand nicely. And I really don't get why people are so defensive of brands, like you are with Nikon or others are with say Apple.
The Df appears to be a lame attempt to jump on the retro bandwagon, I was simply very underwhelmed when I came across it, but I wasn't as scathing as the chap who'd pre-odered one. Which was telling as he loved Nikon, had loads of money to burn and wanted something like his old film Nikkons. I have no problem with others preferring Camera A over my Camera B if it suits their needs better. But a cheap looking camera, with irrelevant, wobbly and fiddly to use retro style dials which was advertised as a trés cool lifestyle product with an inflated price to match is a bit rubbish because it misses all the targets it's aiming at.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #178 on: December 10, 2013, 07:08:07 am »

The Df appears to be a lame attempt to jump on the retro bandwagon, I was simply very underwhelmed when I came across it, but I wasn't as scathing as the chap who'd pre-odered one. Which was telling as he loved Nikon, had loads of money to burn and wanted something like his old film Nikkons. I have no problem with others preferring Camera A over my Camera B if it suits their needs better. But a cheap looking camera, with irrelevant, wobbly and fiddly to use retro style dials which was advertised as a trés cool lifestyle product with an inflated price to match is a bit rubbish because it misses all the targets it's aiming at.

OK, you are 100% right.

But are these things the only ones you dislike about the Df?

Cheers,
Bernard

joneil

• This is what beer does to you....
« Reply #179 on: December 10, 2013, 08:35:28 am »

Looked at one, for the price, wasn't my cup of tea.    At that price range, I would rather go with the D800.

For my 2 cents  worth, it still boils down to the fact that Nikon still has not brought out a true successor to the D700, which I think they got darned near perfect at the time.  The D800 is slower, the D600 is not as sturdy and lacks some basic features  that the D700 has,  and the Df, well, it lack basics like dual card slots.

I think Nikon keeps dancing around the D700.  I don't know what their thinking is, but I wonder, in some cases, is the  panning of the Df is related directly or indirectly to the fact that many of us are disappointed in Nikon for not coming out with a simple upgrade to the D700?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up