Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Rumor: Nikon 58mm f/1.4G  (Read 29531 times)

kers

• Pieter Kers
Re: Rumor: Nikon 58mm f/1.4G
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2013, 01:28:38 pm »

I´m an enthusiastic user of my 24mm 1.4G and 85mm 1.4G and I´m quite happy with my 35mm 1.4G. The 50mm 1.4G is not at all comparable to these. I hope and I´m quite confident, that the 58mm 1.4G will meet my expactations even if DxO Test draw a terrible picture. I believe you shouldn´t attach to much importance to theses tests. This new lens is the most urgent lens renewal I´ve been waiting for of all Nikon lenses.
Pete

I too was waiting for a decent 50mm lens from nikon with nanocoating on the same level as the other 1.4G lenses- unfortunately this 58mm lens is a kind of NOCT type lens- not bad, but a special lens.
From samples i have seen on different sites it seems sharper towards infinity. The clarity is far better than the 50mm1,4G due to the Nano coating.
What i would have liked is a 50mm 1,4 G lens with nanocoating and a bit sharper at 1,4 for 800$- but i do not think they will put an other 50mm lens in the market the next 10 years...
So the alternatives are : 58mm nikkor 1700$    Zeiss manual focus 4000$  or a new Sigma Art 50 if it comes ( but they have now an opportunity to sell well)
But i do not know if their coatings are that good as T* or Nano
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

barryfitzgerald

« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2013, 03:06:35 pm »

Seen a lot more samples and nice rendering or not I'm convinced the lens is poorly designed from an optical perspective. It's really below par at faster apertures (again we don't need tack sharp, but the fuzzy mess isn't acceptable either) is loaded with CA outlining too (really not acceptable for a lens of this price)
This looks like a Christmas turkey offering, and the high price just adds to the insult.

I'm sure a few rich kids will buy one, if it's a classic lens that deserving of the price, I think very much not.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2013, 05:04:37 pm »

... loaded with CA outlining too (really not acceptable for a lens of this price)...

Isn't it a matter of the laws of physics, not price?

Telecaster

« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2013, 05:13:42 pm »

Here's the 58mm I like (see attached pic): Cosina's Voigtländer-branded update of a 1960s-era Topcon design. Originally made in M42 mount, later in F. It's not super sharp wide open but it doesn't fall apart either. Its wide open look is in the same ballpark as its stopped down look. Nice contrast.

-Dave-

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2013, 07:18:22 pm »

Seen a lot more samples and nice rendering or not I'm convinced the lens is poorly designed from an optical perspective. It's really below par at faster apertures (again we don't need tack sharp, but the fuzzy mess isn't acceptable either) is loaded with CA outlining too (really not acceptable for a lens of this price)

Interestingly, DxOmark shows the 58mm f1.4 to have what might be the lowest average CA among lenses currently in production.  ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

barryfitzgerald

« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2013, 09:40:40 pm »

Interestingly, DxOmark shows the 58mm f1.4 to have what might be the lowest average CA among lenses currently in production.  ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

I'm actually looking at real images, not a French website that puts numbers on a lens and tells you nothing about how they even get those measurements.
Yes CA fringing for fast primes is a fact of life at fast apertures, but rarely to this degree. A problem that Nikon have had on other cheaper primes 35mm f1.8 G was quite notable for this too (a lens I used to own), doesn't mean every 35mm prime has the same problem.

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2013, 01:05:55 am »

Though the Otus is awesome an maybe superior to some extent -
from the samples I saw I really like the smooth bokeh of this Nikon lens.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2013, 01:38:49 am »

I'm actually looking at real images, not a French website that puts numbers on a lens and tells you nothing about how they even get those measurments.

Barry,

There is in fact a lot of info on the DxOmark site about the method they use to measure lenses. For what it is worth DPreview relies on their data for their lenses evaluations.

Besides, judging from the excellence of the corrections they derive from their measure, my first hand experience tells me they are doing a remarkable job.

And I am not sure what DxO being a French company has to do with anything?

But more to the point, would you care to share links to those images exhibiting high levels of CA at wide apertures?

Lloyd Chambers seems to like what he sees from the 58mm f1.4. Not up to Otus standards, but good value for the price is his current summary.

Care

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2013, 01:49:03 am »

And I am not sure what DxO being a French company has to do with anything?

In France smear tests are done with mayonese instead of ketchup ...
Really.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2013, 01:59:08 am »

In France smear tests are done with mayonese instead of ketchup ...
Really.

I thought all along that ketchup was made from mayonnaise... but it seems not? ;)

This being said, according to a 2004 Russian study, the French buy more ketchup than mayonnaise in volume. That should be a clear proof of the accuracy of DxO's data.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 03:12:10 am by BernardLanguillier »

barryfitzgerald

« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2013, 06:20:32 am »

Merely a statement of origin I make no references to French being good or bad  :P
Nor did I suggest they had too much wine thus unable to do proper tests.  8)

Look back to ground level, yes I read lens reviews but I also look at the images (from multiple sources)
Test charts interest me a lot less than actual out in the field use.

And bottom line is nice rendering or not this is basically an overpriced lens that isn't really that good where you want it to be good (ie at f2 and faster). We can talk about mythical unique qualities, and argue about more than sharpness which is fine. I'm just not seeing anything here that's in any way reflecting the price. And yes for this kind of outlay I believe the customers will be picky and much more demanding.

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2013, 06:32:12 am »

I agree that the lens is a tad expensive for what it do (or for the golden ring) and I agree about French :) I like this slang; it look like In US that when something is done in an awkward way, ppl refer a lot to France and this is funny because French ppl are rather susceptible ;D

As we seen a substantial price drop on the 85f1.4G, I suspect the price of this 58mm will drop too in maybe a year or two.
Kind Regards -  Hulyss Bowman | hulyssbowman.com |

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2013, 06:44:05 am »

I agree that the lens is a tad expensive for what it do (or for the golden ring) and I agree about French :) I like this slang; it look like In US that when something is done in an awkward way, ppl refer a lot to France and this is funny because French ppl are rather susceptible ;D

They may be... but then again then probably invented the modern mayonnaise, so...

Besides, I regret to say, I am not French. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2013, 07:10:26 am »

They may be... but then again then probably invented the modern mayonnaise, so...

Besides, I regret to say, I am not French. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

Haha !! But ... I am :) It is why it is funny. This lens is a French lens.
Kind Regards -  Hulyss Bowman | hulyssbowman.com |

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #54 on: January 01, 2014, 03:57:48 am »

DPreview has their 58mm f1.4 review up. It does rightfully focus on look rather than technical perfection.

Now, anyone willing to have a bit of Jan 1st fun is advised to read the comments left by the bright bunch of DPreview registered users! ;) It is scary when you think that they are probably around us though!

90% of the comments read "ok, look is important, but the lens is not sharp enough to justify the price, Nikon must have paid DPreview, I am not interested"... sigh...

Cheers,
Bernard

barryfitzgerald

« Reply #55 on: January 01, 2014, 08:44:02 am »

Are you surprised it's getting shot down by most readers?
At this insane price you would not be entirely unjustified expecting a somewhat better performance.

I wouldn't pay £500 for a lens that poor wide open let alone £1500 for one.
Sigh all you want people expect something better for premium products.

Reminds me of the Minolta 35mm f1.4 G when that came out years ago, basically the lens wasn't very good but those who  unloaded the £1000 odd for it swore blind it had unique awesome character and lovely rendering. In reality is just wasn't very good at f1.4, why buy a fast lens that's not good at the faster apertures.

Nice rendering or not..the Nikkor is a prime target for a hammering from readers, if you find that scary then I find Nikon's asking price even more scary!
I can get nice rendering (very nice rendering indeed) with a Tamron 90mm for £300. Bar photo fashion folks who want to look good with expensive glass mounted or in the bag, I can't see many takers on this one.  ::)

jduncan

« Reply #56 on: January 01, 2014, 10:59:00 am »

DPreview has their 58mm f1.4 review up. It does rightfully focus on look rather than technical perfection.

Now, anyone willing to have a bit of Jan 1st fun is advised to read the comments left by the bright bunch of DPreview registered users! ;) It is scary when you think that they are probably around us though!

90% of the comments read "ok, look is important, but the lens is not sharp enough to justify the price, Nikon must have paid DPreview, I am not interested"... sigh...

Cheers,
Bernard

I agree with you that the conspiracy inferences are non sense, but the lens is pretty soft wide open. It did not need to be in order to preserve looks.

The second part is that Nikon is a business and they should know what the market wants. Sharpness is a key parameter this days, more for them that promote
high megapixles  DSLRs.

Right now, with the exception of the 800mm and now the  58mm they insist in just adding nano crystal and doubling the price.

I have say before that Nikon is a generation behind in terms of autofocusing system (that I don't need, but is not about me).   What they have is image quality. They have fail in terms of execution (D800 focusing, D600 dust,  D4 color cast) and handle the issues ungracefully.

Nowadays  sigma is using exotic glass for the new designs (like Canon and Nikon on the 200mm f2.0 and  800mm f5.6) , even zooms like the  120-300mm this equal or better than both the 80-400 and 200-400 in image tests (not autofocusing or looks).

Finally, the low cost guy  (Tamron) released a 70-200mm (a must have in multiple areas of the pro space) that is comparable to the Nikon, without the massive focus breathing or price tag (but is shorter to be fair, at  183mm) .

We can say that we don't care, that is about looks, and that's a matter of personal preference. And yes it comes a moment on your carrier that you have all the sharp lenses that you need, and the pro start buying for creative reasons, as we use to do with film, but the market have spoken very laud and clear.

Can a company look the other way and ignore basic market demands?

Nikon results show the answer.

Best regards,

J. Duncan
english is not my first language, an I k

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #57 on: January 01, 2014, 11:49:39 am »

I think dpreview did a good job in reflecting the quality of the 58mm Nikkor to the 50mm.
There are some pictures on the site were this new 58mm really shows something special and a lot of others that do not make so much difference, were the 50mm shows even a better image ( if corner sharpness is important for instance)
It is interesting to see that the 'imatests' only show a part of the qualities of a lens.
The high intensity of the colour in and out of focus and the way you can isolate a subject from its background are beautiful with the 58mm.
I can imagine that a wedding photographer would like this lens a lot.
I would like to see a comparison on these qualities with the much sharper Otus.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

barryfitzgerald

« Reply #58 on: January 01, 2014, 11:54:52 am »

I've never been impressed with Nikon's AF, so much so I sold all my F mount gear just over a year ago. The fact DPR mention AF issue on the lens is another reason to stay well away from it. A modern lens should not have serious AF issues, not with an up to date design. (ie focus shift etc)

I'm amazed DPR would make themselves look foolish by awarding a lens like this a silver award. The nice rendering cannot make up for the ridiculous price and mediocre optics.
Seems to be a trend of late Sony have a Zeiss 50mm f1.4 that runs you for about £1200, optics wise nothing outstanding and when all as is said and done it's still a 50mm f1.4, not the f1.2 you would expect for the outlay. High margins on some of these lenses that don't deliver optical excellence, deserve to be shot down by readers.

It seems words like "falling in love with the images" and "lovely rendering" are basically marketing speak for ho hum optics and "soft"
There is more to any lens than test charts and sharpness, but at these prices you cannot forgive the shortcomings.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #59 on: January 01, 2014, 01:26:32 pm »

I've never been impressed with Nikon's AF....

I do am impressed with the Nikon-AF...but only since i realized i had to fine tune all my lenses; now my 1.4 24mm is spot on at 1.4 even in dim situations and very quick.
This 58mm lens seems to have different problems; being spot on far away but not close or vice versa...
Nikon should take care of this and not the consumer... it takes me half a day to correct all my lenses.
Kudos to Sigma for its adjustment tool to make corrections for three ( i think ) distances with their new line of lenses.
(I agree ;this 58mm lens is overpriced and should be sharper at 1.4 ...)

« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 07:04:14 pm by kers »
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up