Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Great new body from Sony! But will they deliver good lenses?  (Read 21116 times)

telyt

Re: Great new body from Sony! But will they deliver good lenses?
« Reply #60 on: October 29, 2013, 04:23:59 pm »

Some photographers get in focus images of birds in flight using manual focus, I actually know one of those guys in person.

Here are a few of mine:

telyt

« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2013, 05:55:40 pm »

How many did you miss? ;-)

For the falcon photo, I missed 1 out of 4.  The ibis and heron photos were single shots, i.e., for these birds I missed 0 out of 1.

bcooter

« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2013, 11:00:52 pm »

I haven't tested it on fast moving sports, but my gh3's have always had good follow focus.

Excellent in video.

Not perfect, but neither is any camera, including the my 1dx, though the 1dx is almost perfect.

IMO

BC

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #63 on: October 30, 2013, 12:29:48 am »

Hi,

I am aware of your focusing skills. I know I guy who has similar skills.

The question really is if you can do the same focusing on an EVF? You say todays optical viewfinders are not good for manual focus and I guess you are right.

Personally I am not very good at manual focus, use a focus magnifier on my Hasselblad or LV at max magnification on the Sony. Neither would work on birds in flight.

Best regards
Erik

Here are a few of mine:

Erik Kaffehr

telyt

« Reply #64 on: October 30, 2013, 09:52:28 am »

The question really is if you can do the same focusing on an EVF?

For me that's the $2298 (plus adapter) question.  I'll have to try it for myself to see if it meets my needs.

Telecaster

« Reply #65 on: October 30, 2013, 01:53:16 pm »

I happen to feel that EVFs are great but I am not sure they are great for focusing, but manual focusing is not the forte of modern cameras anyway. OVFs are not optimised for manual focus and EVFs are not there. I also feel that peaking is overrated, at least what I have seen.

The EVFs I've used aren't quite there yet for accurate full-screen manual focusing, but when using magnification they're great. Panasonic's GX7 offers peaking in magnified mode, where it too is more useful than in the full-screen view. Let's see where EVF tech is in another generation or two...

-Dave-
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up