Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: The NEW LuLa Look  (Read 20378 times)

BJL

mobile devices are not where the complaints are coming from
« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2013, 07:06:14 pm »

... being aware of the HUGE lower res device market like tablets and phones.
And yet if you read on to the next sentence of my post that you quote, I observe that the 1024x768 iPad has no problems. Also, the only other comment about tablets or phones is Paul Sumi in post #2 saying that it "works fine" on his iPad. As to phones, the only comment so far is mine that it works fine on my phone (which has an even lower pixel count of 960x940) by giving different line breaks. So your fears for low-res. mobile devices seem unfounded.

Instead, all the problem reports I see in this thread are with "non-mobile" devices. In particular, in almost all complaints that cite a specific browser, it is Firefox, though that might be a coincidence.

michael

Re: The NEW LuLa Look
« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2013, 07:32:15 pm »

This is where using a professional would have helped also - being aware of the HUGE lower res device market like tablets and phones.  Oh well....

Your back-handed insults are not appreciated. Please stop, or just stop visiting the site. Your comments are no longer appreciated.

Michael

Paul Wright

« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2013, 11:44:23 pm »

Hooray! While the content is always first class, the look was getting tired. The new look is a great step forward.
There may be some unanticipated bedding down issues, but overall its a great job.

-pw

cmi

« Reply #63 on: October 10, 2013, 09:39:28 am »

- In Firefox 23.0.1 the top menu changes height when I mouse over (due to the change to italic font).

- The column sticking to the right due to the Alchemy API Advertiser feels awkward and I would just center it.

But overall look, font sizes, header, general intention, is ok and the right direction.

mguertin

« Reply #64 on: October 10, 2013, 09:44:30 am »

- In Firefox 23.0.1 the top menu changes height when I mouse over (due to the change to italic font).

- The column sticking to the right due to the Alchemy API Advertiser feels awkward and I would just center it.

But overall look, font sizes, header, general intention, is ok and the right direction.

Hmm ok this is odd.  The top menu shouldn't have italic fonts and the alchemy API logo and link should be centered.  On FF 24.0 it's fine for me in both windows and OSX.  What OS are you using?

mguertin

« Reply #65 on: October 10, 2013, 09:46:50 am »

Actually I just double checked and there is italic, but only when you actually click (it shouldn't happen before then) and the italic font really shouldn't be any taller than the standard one.  Are you running Linux per chance?

cmi

« Reply #66 on: October 10, 2013, 09:57:43 am »

Win 7 64 Bit.

//edit: Yes, when you click, exactly, then the menu height changes. I'll give you screenshots.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 09:59:20 am by cmi »

mguertin

« Reply #67 on: October 10, 2013, 09:59:13 am »

Win 7 64 Bit, but cannot reproduce it any longer. As if it only occured at first load. Will report back if I happen to find it out.

Ahh ok, no worries.  It was probably something cached or that didn't fully load in terms of the stylesheet.  Glad it's working as expected now.

cmi

« Reply #68 on: October 10, 2013, 10:07:18 am »

Now here its reproduced, it occurs when I click lmb on any top menu item and HOLD the mouse. Thats also the reason it didnt get noticed, usually you click and release LMB, and then the height change is just for a briefer time.

Best Regards

mguertin

« Reply #69 on: October 10, 2013, 10:10:04 am »

Hmm ok, thanks.  It seems like it may be an actual issue with your version of Arial.  The Italic font should not be any taller than the standard font.  I'll see if there's anything I can do about this (like maybe just eliminate the italic when clicking on things), but I can't reproduce this on my setup so it may be something local with your windows setup.

cmi

« Reply #70 on: October 10, 2013, 10:18:35 am »

Yes maybe its a local issue, cant compare to a fresh install at the moment. But not using italic in the menu probably is a good idea.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 10:20:24 am by cmi »

scooby70

« Reply #71 on: October 10, 2013, 10:36:50 am »

IMVHO the new look is simply... horrible. So much so that I'll use the site less.

Rocco Penny

« Reply #72 on: October 10, 2013, 11:58:51 am »

I like the change.
Lots of options to click on the homepage,
forum works as it always has,
in fact the forum is easier to reach from the homepage now as it is a navigation option in the top instead of the side.
I can't tell you how hard that side forums button was for me to find the first time :)
oh and
FLOWING FALL COLORS is beautiful
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 12:01:42 pm by Rocco Penny »

cmi

« Reply #73 on: October 10, 2013, 12:23:15 pm »

Ok until now I only saw the "whats new" section since this is my landing page and my positive reaction was only based on this page.

But now I clicked through all pages, and I have to say Im a bit shocked about the plethora of different font sizes and inconsistent looks. (Different sized links, reading text and image captions).

This design does not adequately reflect the very high photographic standard of this site. It lacks clearness and consistency.

David Mantripp

• :: snowhenge dot net ::
« Reply #74 on: October 10, 2013, 12:38:35 pm »

All in all, I think it is a clear improvement on the old site. Clearly there are a lot of sometimes conflicting requirements to satisfy, but they've been well resolved. Well done to all concerned.
--
David Mantripp

michael

« Reply #75 on: October 10, 2013, 01:14:39 pm »

Firstly, the annoying animated Phase One ad has been changed to static ones. Sorry about that.

Secondly, we really wish that you all would agree whether or not you like the new design. About half of you do, and half of you don't. Seems like the American political system with a 50/50 split between the left and the right.

Consensus? Apparently not.

Therefore thanks to everyone for your comments, one way or the other.

Michael

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #76 on: October 10, 2013, 01:23:49 pm »

Hi,

I can live with the new design...

Best regards
Erik

Firstly, the annoying animated Phase One ad has been changed to static ones. Sorry about that.

Secondly, we really wish that you all would agree whether or not you like the new design. About half of you do, and half of you don't. Seems like the American political system with a 50/50 split between the left and the right.

Consensus? Apparently not.

Therefore thanks to everyone for your comments, one way or the other.

Michael
Erik Kaffehr

JeanMichel

« Reply #77 on: October 10, 2013, 01:51:44 pm »

Hi,
On Safari, the new site works just fine. And, old site, new site, what I care most about is the quality of the content. That Michael Reichmann and friends make this site accessible for free is a gift. The ads are relevant to our industry or hobby, and can be ignored if one wished to. I may or may not like the look, but it is what it is and it is most definitely easy to navigate. So thank you for your work.
Jean-Michel

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #78 on: October 10, 2013, 02:28:56 pm »

That Michael Reichmann and friends make this site accessible for free is a gift.... So thank you for your work.
Jean-Michel

Yes: thanks for this fabulous resource!

AdamW

« Reply #79 on: October 10, 2013, 03:01:43 pm »

I think there are plusses and minuses with the new design, but overall I'm in the don't like camp.

For my usual a large-but-not-quite-full-screen browser window I don't quite get the entire vertical height of the home page photo any more, so I need to scroll fairly precisely to look at it.

So all I get "above the fold" on the home page is few adverts, a masthead, some social media buttons, a welcome, and most of a photo: so the only complete variable element to look at is the adverts, which I guess makes them prominent but perhaps too prominent to the point of overshadowing the content.

I appreciate ads are needed to pay the bills, but left hand ads before any content are very rare in my experience -- major ad supported sites seem to use above the masthead and on the right much more than on the left so I presume there's some research behind that. Certainly I find that makes the ads interfere less with the content, which after all is why I visit.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up