Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: White Pocket at Grand Staircase Escalante  (Read 9856 times)

Wolfman

• www.bernardwolf.com
Re: White Pocket at Grand Staircase Escalante
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2013, 03:33:13 am »

Roman, great image. What vehicle in the photo handled the road into White Pocket? I have a Subaru Crosstrek all wheel drive. Do you think it would handle the road in?

Roman Racela

« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2013, 11:23:16 am »

Thank you, Wolfman. I have a lifted Toyota 4Runner 4x4. I think the Subaru Crosstrek has enough ground clearance to get to White Pocket.

Roman, great image. What vehicle in the photo handled the road into White Pocket? I have a Subaru Crosstrek all wheel drive. Do you think it would handle the road in?

KMRennie

« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2013, 06:24:07 pm »

As a newcomer to this forum I probably shouldn't comment but I like the image until I see the clouds which look overcooked, I see the ACR shot and the clouds look fine to me. Whatever has been done to them has been applied uniformly and it makes the clouds uniform with little or no sense of depth.
Ken

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2013, 01:06:15 pm »

... until I see the clouds which look overcooked...

Somehow people assume that if it is OOC, it can not be overcooked. Well, it can. Using a wrong GND filter strength (as it was the case here) results in overcooking at the shooting stage.

Late Galen Rowell was occasionally criticized for that too. However, in his defense, he was among the pioneers in using GND and can be forgiven for being carried away on occasion. Also, given his shooting technique, ie, traveling/running/climbing light, often with just one (smallish) camera and one lens, he can be forgiven for not carrying with him the whole assortment of GND strengths. At the same time, shooting slides, he could not reverse the effect in post-processing as easy as we can do today.

Roman Racela

« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2013, 06:21:00 pm »

Ken, it's a free country (if you're in the U.S....well I hope it's still is) so you can voice your opinion. ;)

I totally see everybody's point about the clouds. I'm almost sure I used a 3-stop ND so applying any and all global edits at post affected the clouds. The clouds looked angry already and a 1-stop ND would have worked. I'll play with the image a bit and see what happens.

As a newcomer to this forum I probably shouldn't comment but I like the image until I see the clouds which look overcooked, I see the ACR shot and the clouds look fine to me. Whatever has been done to them has been applied uniformly and it makes the clouds uniform with little or no sense of depth.
Ken

Roman Racela

« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2013, 06:32:24 pm »

I appreciate the comment. I agree with you and sometime I do forget that I can overcook an image even at OOC. The 3-stop ND may have been too much. I think I'll play the the image again. I'll edit the RAW file and tone down the sky a bit and then blend the two and see what happens. I'll fiddle with it until it looks...well, around medium/ ;)

I'll post a 2nd edit and see if the sushi lovers will like it :P

Man...you're right about Galen Rowell. The first time I visited his gallery, I was a bit surprised that some of his images were medium well to well done. I was thinking that his slides were digitized and them Photoshopped to give it that look. Like you said, he may have used too much ND back in the day.

I saw some of Tom Till's work at his gallery and he really fries a few of his work to a crisp. But then again, what I think is overcooked maybe not be to him and others...and is making him some good $$$.

Somehow people assume that if it is OOC, it can not be overcooked. Well, it can. Using a wrong GND filter strength (as it was the case here) results in overcooking at the shooting stage.

Late Galen Rowell was occasionally criticized for that too. However, in his defense, he was among the pioneers in using GND and can be forgiven for being carried away on occasion. Also, given his shooting technique, ie, traveling/running/climbing light, often with just one (smallish) camera and one lens, he can be forgiven for not carrying with him the whole assortment of GND strengths. At the same time, shooting slides, he could not reverse the effect in post-processing as easy as we can do today.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up