Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ilford: clock is running out  (Read 7763 times)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Ilford: clock is running out
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2013, 09:10:49 am »

If you read the packaging of GFS, you will see that the paper is said to be made in Germany. You will also see that the trademark is owned by Ilford Imaging Switzerland GmBH - the GmBH being German for "limited liability company", or in our jurisprudence, a " Co.Ltd.". So the IP is owned by the company in trouble, and would, I expect, form part of the asset base up for grabs in a receivership situation. I think the real questions of interest are (1) how they got themselves into this predicament (was it unwise acquisitions or competitive problems in the rather crowded paper market) and depending on the answers to that, (2) how they will get themselves out of it - can they emerge from a receivership restructured and continuing as a going concern, or will they be sold in bankruptcy to the highest bidder, or will it all simply disappear? We just don't know any of that, so I'm doing the defensive thing of stocking-up to carry me over for a longish period of time, until the dust settles. I really like this paper, know it, have confidence in it and would like to continue using it.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

francois

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2013, 11:24:18 am »

you will see that the paper is said to be made in Germany. You will also see that the trademark is owned by Ilford Imaging Switzerland GmBH - the GmBH being German for "limited liability company", or in our jurisprudence, a " Co.Ltd.". So the IP is owned by the company in trouble

This is correct, Mark…

The instruction papers that come in a GFS paper box say "Printed in Switzerland" so conditioning and/or packaging are probably made in Switzerland and manufacturing in Germany.

In an interview (early July), the director of Ilford Imaging GmBH was quite clear that Ilford Imaging GmBH was in trouble and made no reference to the other Ilford companies.

Let's waiting until mid-August and then see what happens. I'll also stock up GFS, just in case.
Francois

francois

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2013, 12:00:37 pm »

Francois

aaronchan

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2013, 12:25:46 pm »

Which specific paper are you referring to? If Gold Fibre Silk, Canson Baryta Photographique is virtually identical, so equivalent product will likely be available; however, based on previous pricing experience here in Toronto, Ilford has been the competition keeping the prices for both *quite reasonable*. Without them, I expect the Canson product to become costlier.

I'm in China, it is hard to get Canson paper since they don't really have a dealer, everything is direct sale and they don't really put too much attention in digital printing market. Rather than that, they put most of their resources in fine art and matte board market.

deanwork

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2013, 03:58:02 pm »

Does anyone know if this situation with Ilford Imaging in Switzerland has any effect or connection with the analogue silver papers and films from Ilford in England.

In other words do people need to think about stocking up on Ilford film? Or or they totally unrelated companies?

john

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2013, 04:10:29 pm »

From what I read, unrelated companies. The British operation is owned by Harman Technology LLC, whereas Ilford Imaging Switzerland GmBH  was owned by Paradigm Global Partners LLC. Nothing I've seen from the Swiss press indicates that the British operation is affected by the Paradigm decision.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up