Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Sigma DP2 Merrill Experiences-2  (Read 86701 times)

Deadhumpy

Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill Experiences-2
« Reply #80 on: February 03, 2014, 07:44:52 pm »

First post on this site, but long time lurker. I've bought and sold a couple dp2m's so far, and I'm thinking of buying another and a dp3m here soon. I love the files from these cameras. I have a d800e which is a great camera, but when you nail a shot with the sigma's it's just different, in a good way. I'm trying to find excuses to keep my nikon but for my style of shooting I'm finding it harder and harder to justify. I can buy both the dp3m and dp2m for the price of a good lens for my nikon.

MrSmith

« Reply #81 on: February 04, 2014, 05:21:12 am »

FYI Clifton cameras are now selling these for £339 (£282+vat) I presume the prices will start to drop worldwide now.  I just need to decide on the 2 or 3

MarkL

« Reply #82 on: February 04, 2014, 07:54:07 am »

FYI Clifton cameras are now selling these for £339 (£282+vat) I presume the prices will start to drop worldwide now.  I just need to decide on the 2 or 3

I'm very tempted as sigma seem very quiet on a new version of these cameras

Deadhumpy

« Reply #83 on: February 04, 2014, 01:38:26 pm »

I just checked pout the Clifton deal. I think i'm going to pull the trigger, but I'm wondering about the shipping. It seems they have free 3 to 5 day shipping. Can that be right? Can shipping to the states really be so fast and cheap? Thanks

palpman

« Reply #84 on: February 04, 2014, 02:40:49 pm »

Juan Amores [and Palpman] [and anyone else shooting DP2M for black and white]:

I am blown away by the black-and-white images being produced with the DP2M.  As I wait for Mister UPS to deliver my latest folly (DP2M), perhaps you could tell me:

I assume that you're shooting in RAW, and converting to B/W elsewhere [surely these can't be B/W jpegs from in-camera. . .].  Could you walk through your workflow to achieve your beautiful B/W images?  How much done in Sigma PP, how much in Lightroom/Aperture, how much in Photoshop, etc.  Any quirks to your conversions?  Anything you have to emphasize?

Look at me; my first post and I'm asking magicians to give away their secrets. . . .

Thanks.

Hi, I shoot RAW, then convert the pics into TIFF and then use Silver Efex for fine tuning. My photo above has almost no post processing though (and was shot at 200 ISO by mistake, no noise adjustment needed though), and you can get excellent results with SPP only as well. I never have quirks during conversion.

There's no secret.. apart from the camera we use  :P

PS: there are more pictures of my PCT trip to see on www.mkuhlmann.net - Enjoy!

Deadhumpy: great shots!!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 02:46:30 pm by palpman »

Deadhumpy

« Reply #85 on: February 05, 2014, 11:41:24 pm »

I'm just now finding some time to go through some of my dp2m files from this summer. So here's one flying home from our fishing site in a de Havilland beaver. This was defiantly not the best camera for taking shots from an air plane but I got a few to come out sharp. I just bought a dp3m and I'm gonna pull the trigger on a d2pm for round number three.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 03:51:58 pm by Deadhumpy »

Deadhumpy

« Reply #86 on: February 06, 2014, 03:08:07 pm »

Ok one more, then i'll stop spamming the thread.

MrSmith27

« Reply #87 on: February 08, 2014, 04:47:51 am »

Hey dad,

i own both and have used them extensively over the last year.

DP2M: 30mm lens is very versatile. I use it a lot for travel photography and landscape work. The lens is wide enough so that you can take images that work on their own.

DP3M: 50mm is the opposite of versatile. Obviously I know what a 50mm is, but it somehow felt more "zoomed in" then i expected. It's fabulous for stiching landscape photography. The geometry of the lens allows you to stich using a rectilinear projection which gives much cleaner results than the alternatives. The macro mode is also fantastic. However on a recent trip I only brought the DP3M and it felt limiting. Since the camera is also not optically stabilized in any way you need a monopod in almost all scenarios.

TL;DR: If in doubt get the 2.

MrSmith27

« Reply #88 on: February 08, 2014, 04:51:05 am »

I'm just now finding some time to go through some of my dp2m files from this summer. So here's one flying home from our fishing site in a de Havilland beaver. This was defiantly not the best camera for taking shots from an air plane but I got a few to come out sharp. I just bought a dp3m and I'm gonna pull the trigger on a d2pm for round number three.

You butchered this photo in post.
It has way too much color and it has been sharpened too much.

Deadhumpy

« Reply #89 on: February 09, 2014, 03:31:51 pm »

Mrsmith27, you've been using the sigma's extensively over this last year you say, but no photo posts. You should share some of your photos.

MrSmith

« Reply #90 on: February 09, 2014, 04:18:17 pm »

Hey dad,

I have a son?!?  :o

I went for the dp3 in the end but now the price has tanked s/h 1's and 2's will we cheap. Which I guess will piss a few people off.

MrSmith27

« Reply #91 on: February 09, 2014, 07:22:49 pm »

Mrsmith27, you've been using the sigma's extensively over this last year you say, but no photo posts. You should share some of your photos.

I actually should, and will :)

One thing though is that I think screen rendering is not doing Foveon justice. The are meant to be printed large.

rayken

« Reply #92 on: February 10, 2014, 10:52:51 pm »

From trekking trip in the UK last year.

rayken

« Reply #93 on: February 10, 2014, 10:56:11 pm »

From Aspen this year

rayken

« Reply #94 on: February 18, 2014, 03:36:40 am »

Paula and her friends on the Yarra River Melbourne.
With the announcement of the Quattros I hope Sigma DP2 Merrill Experiences is not running out of Legs.

powerslave12r

• Flickr
« Reply #95 on: February 21, 2014, 10:25:12 am »

Nice pictures.

With the announcement of the quattros I think Dp2m experiences will increase because:

- prices of dpxms going down
- quattro piquing the interests of people who were unaware of the foveon combine with the prices.
http://www.flickr.com/garagenoise
DP2M | X-M1 | 6D | TS-E24IIL | EF24-105L

SZRitter

« Reply #96 on: February 21, 2014, 10:46:31 am »

Paula and her friends on the Yarra River Melbourne.
With the announcement of the Quattros I hope Sigma DP2 Merrill Experiences is not running out of Legs.

I'm seriously considering a DP2M thanks to what will hopefully be lower prices. Between it, an X100 (maybe an s), the Quattro, or a 6x7 film camera.

ShawWellPete

« Reply #97 on: February 23, 2014, 08:48:37 am »

Hi Guys,

I am new to this site and new to the DP-2 Merrill. I bought  one of the first DP-1 cameras many years ago and loved the sensor but didn't use it a great deal because of the small file sizes. I've only had the DP-2 M for a couple of days but I'm loving it so far, it could get more use than the D800 and the X-Pro 1 at this rate!  :D

The problem with this camera is that every time I share a photo

Playing with DP-2 M by ShawWellPete, on Flickr

I have to share a 100% crop

100% Crop by ShawWellPete, on Flickr

and again...

Playing with DP-2 M by ShawWellPete, on Flickr

100% crop

If anybody is interested I used a Nikon SB-600 on a TT5 pointed at the ceiling triggered with a mini TT1 on the camera, on both photos.

powerslave12r

• Flickr
« Reply #98 on: February 23, 2014, 09:21:09 am »

Nice shots ShawWellPete and I think we all suffer from that crop syndrome.  ;D
http://www.flickr.com/garagenoise
DP2M | X-M1 | 6D | TS-E24IIL | EF24-105L

BarbaraArmstrong

« Reply #99 on: February 23, 2014, 07:10:09 pm »

The veggie crop is spectacular!  It is a piece of art in its own right.  --Barbara
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up