Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 27   Go Down

Author Topic: Adobe - Creative Cloud Update  (Read 126910 times)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Adobe - Creative Cloud Update
« Reply #80 on: June 01, 2013, 05:13:12 pm »

An update on the update

Wadhwani says - ""Customer satisfaction for users using Creative Cloud has been off the charts. It is our single highest customer satisfaction product in the creative space."

But apparently Creative Suite users in a Cnet survey, said they loathe Adobe's subscriptions - as only 8% currently intend to upgrade.

Dave

Did you read this sentence in the CNET survey: "One significant caveat: This was an unscientific survey of self-selected respondents." This of course invalidates the whole exercise. It's completely meaningless. I think it's just about axiomatic that the disgruntled are more likely to pipe-up in such surveys than the satisfied who just subscribe and move-on.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 08:47:27 pm by Mark D Segal »
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #81 on: June 01, 2013, 05:50:20 pm »

And equally axiomatic that one pissed-off customer tells ten times as many people as the satisfied customer. Both stats are pretty self-selecting, don't you think?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #82 on: June 01, 2013, 05:52:00 pm »

Highly probable.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #83 on: June 01, 2013, 08:45:14 pm »

My friends,

Let's face it, this is a done deal. The only winning strategy for us photographers it to actively support Adobe's competitors by buying licenses of their products today, even if they are not at the right level yet.

Cheers,
Bernard

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #84 on: June 01, 2013, 08:49:07 pm »

My friends,

Let's face it, this is a done deal. The only winning strategy for us photographers it to actively support Adobe's competitors by buying licenses of their products today, even if they are not at the right level yet.

Cheers,
Bernard

The basic deal is done, but it may yet emerge with some amendments to address the complaints. I'd let it play out for a while before jumping to conclusions.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #85 on: June 01, 2013, 09:33:37 pm »

^^There is a rich history that pressure from consumers and/or unintended results can alter and even significantly reshape corporate direction no matter how well thought out (or not). Use Mr. Google to research the term "marketing blunders" for some examples. There are many.

Isaac

« Reply #86 on: June 01, 2013, 09:39:25 pm »

But apparently Creative Suite users in a Cnet survey, said they loathe Adobe's subscriptions - as only 8% currently intend to upgrade.

Apparently users did not say "loathe" -- the word only appears in the title of the blog post and seems to be editorial comment.

fwiw It was 8% of those using CS 5.5 or earlier who plan to move to subscription, and 38% plan to move to CS6, and 54% don't know.

fwiw It was said of 76% of those using CS 6 that they planned never to move to CC, which might mean 24% answered that they plan to move to subscription and 76% answered don't know. (Or it might mean that the survey weirdly asked different questions of the CS 6 users).

Isaac

« Reply #87 on: June 01, 2013, 10:05:17 pm »

The basic deal is done, but it may yet emerge with some amendments to address the complaints. I'd let it play out for a while before jumping to conclusions.

It'll be interesting to see what "continue to maintain" means in practice --
For those who don't like the subscriptions, the Creative Suite 6 software released last year "is a reasonable alternative," he said. "We'll continue to sell it and continue to maintain it.

It'll be interesting to see what "reliably access what they've created" means in practice --
"We agree our customers should be able to open their files even after they've unsubscribed," Wadhwani said. "It's their work, and they should be able to reliably access what they've created."

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #88 on: June 02, 2013, 04:40:33 am »

My friends,

Hi Mark,

Bernhard is not jumping to conclusions, he is right that supporting Adobe's competitors is a winning strategy, from every angle you may look at that.

Remember Pixmantec Rawshooter? An innovative blazingly fast Raw converter that posed such a threat to Adobe's Raw conversion speed and quality and marketing model that their only defense was to take it out of completion by buying the company. They slowly integrated some of the functionality (besides Raw conversion amongst others Vibrance ) into their own Lightroom software, which became better.

Everybody came out as sort of a winner.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #89 on: June 02, 2013, 04:42:26 am »

Did you read this sentence in the CNET survey: "One significant caveat: This was an unscientific survey of self-selected respondents." This of course invalidates the whole exercise. It's completely meaningless. I think it's just about axiomatic that the disgruntled are more likely to pipe-up in such surveys than the satisfied who just subscribe and move-on.

Quote from: Mark D Segal
Adobe probably have very sharp data gathering functions and market analysts who at least for the empirical stuff probably perform well. Executive management use of such information of course, whether for making decisions or producing public statements is another matter, and it is likely in these latter respects that we are seeing the shortcomings.

Mark, do I note here a propensity to support Adobe's data without question but to be entirely sceptical of any other data sources ?  Just wondering ?  Would you care to comment ?

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #90 on: June 02, 2013, 04:45:40 am »

I wonder if you'll still hold that opinion if Adobe move LR to a subscription model in two years time ?

Yes, Rawshooter was good, I used it.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #91 on: June 02, 2013, 05:48:11 am »

I wonder if you'll still hold that opinion if Adobe move LR to a subscription model in two years time ?

That's why we need to continue and support Adobe's competition! Keep the pressure up to prevent Adobe from making more stupid decisions, and allow competition to drive innovation.

In the mean time, Capture One has become much better, and will hopefully continue (when we support it) in the coming years. We have the very capable RawTherapee, in several ways better than Adobe's Raw conversion process, basically for free. We have very capable Pano stitching and  focus stacking offerings, with much better control than what Photoshop has to offer. We have (some are exclusively plug-in based) very useful productivity/image enhancement (distortion correction, Topaz-Labs, Nik Software) solutions.

Cheers,
Bart

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #92 on: June 02, 2013, 05:49:45 am »

Following earlier reports on Tuesday, Adobe confirmed that its chief technology officer, Kevin Lynch, is leaving the company.

Dave

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #93 on: June 02, 2013, 07:00:22 am »

Just a commonplace analogy.
To ship has been used for decades to reflect "Release Date"

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #94 on: June 02, 2013, 08:17:55 am »

To ship has been used for decades to reflect "Release Date"

Maybe, but then people say the darnedest things ... ;)

According Webster's, the verb "ship" is used to describe the physical displacement of goods over a distance, to "transport commercially":
Quote from: Webster's dictionary
in commercial usage, to commit to any conveyance for transportation to a distance; as, to ship freight by railroad.

Cheers,
Bart

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #95 on: June 02, 2013, 08:49:35 am »

Following earlier reports on Tuesday, Adobe confirmed that its chief technology officer, Kevin Lynch, is leaving the company.
Not sure what you're getting at, Dave, but that news is 2 months old - nothing to do with recent events. But you might be amused by this quote from his web site:

"I'm currently CTO at Adobe, where I shape Adobe's long-term technology vision and focus innovation across the company along the lines of multiscreen, cloud, and social computing. The most recent embodiment of this work is Adobe Creative Cloud for creative professionals, and Adobe Marketing Cloud for marketing professionals."

At least Captain Smith didn't jump ship in Cherbourg or Queenstown....

John

Steve House

« Reply #96 on: June 02, 2013, 09:03:49 am »

It'll be interesting to see what "reliably access what they've created" means in practice --
My money would be on a free "Photoshop Reader" application for PSD files, perhaps including "Save As Tiff" and "Save As JPG" options, similar to the Acrobat Reader they give away for PDFs.  Highly unlikely that they would allow users to cancel their subscriptions while keeping their current applications fully functional albeit frozen in time.  How would that be functionally different from a conventional perpetual license upgrade? If they did that people could buy a subscription, install the applications, and then the next month cancel, effectively getting a perpetually licensed product for pennies on the dollar of what has been the normal boxed-product price.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 09:06:51 am by Steve House »

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #97 on: June 02, 2013, 09:37:22 am »

we shall really stop using the word "cloud" and always use the word "subscription", that is what it is and we shall not play along Adobe's marketing.
+1

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #98 on: June 02, 2013, 10:31:08 am »

Hi Mark,

Bernhard is not jumping to conclusions, he is right that supporting Adobe's competitors is a winning strategy, from every angle you may look at that.

Remember Pixmantec Rawshooter? An innovative blazingly fast Raw converter that posed such a threat to Adobe's Raw conversion speed and quality and marketing model that their only defense was to take it out of completion by buying the company. They slowly integrated some of the functionality (besides Raw conversion amongst others Vibrance ) into their own Lightroom software, which became better.

Cheers,
Bart

Hi Bart,

Back in 1959 I sat in my Economics classes learning about the evils of monopoly and the virtues of competition. Not much has changed in the intervening 5+ decades, so yes, I fully support the idea of competition to Photoshop - very unhealthy that there just isn't an integrated solution as all-round capable as Photoshop provided by at least one if not two other developers. Nothing I said in my response to Bernard can be read to infer any position on competition; but for clarity, I'll affirm - let's bring it on.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #99 on: June 02, 2013, 10:38:01 am »

Mark, do I note here a propensity to support Adobe's data without question but to be entirely sceptical of any other data sources ?  Just wondering ?  Would you care to comment ?

Simon, actually I don't really care to comment, because there is a level of thought and discourse below which I think it's a waste of time and in fact demeaning to be engaged. However, any one participating in web forums needs to bear a thick skin and be prepared to deal with any level of nonsense (or let me more generously say "misapprehension") thrown-up so I shall, just for clarity, respond. I can't support data I haven't seen and therefore not understood; it would be highly unprofessional. So NO, there is no propensity to support Adobe's data. However, the CNet article says enough about the statistical *methodology* (speaking generously here) to know off-the-bat that it's garbage. I hope that clear's up the issue for you.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 27   Go Up