Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leica teasing a "mini M"  (Read 16909 times)

LKaven

Re: Leica teasing a "mini M"
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2013, 06:02:57 am »

BTW, has anyone noticed that the leather case for the X-Vario has a conspicuous cutout in just one place -- over the red dot.

Rob C

« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2013, 08:24:57 am »

BTW, has anyone noticed that the leather case for the X-Vario has a conspicuous cutout in just one place -- over the red dot.

Ah! The male version of crotchless knickers!

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2013, 11:43:41 am »

There were no cut-outs required in my day: we wore our hearts on our sleeves. This old thing must be about forty-five years old now, and it took me all over the world - at least, where I wanted to go - and within it could live all the analogue tools I ever needed to shoot a shoot. I'm reminded of Cooter's three trucks and I thank my lucky stars I'm one of the ancients!

Okay, the tripod travelled hold.

;-)

Rob C

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2013, 02:20:53 pm »

Already for sale in my Leica Store, what a junk lol

Kind Regards -  Hulyss Bowman | hulyssbowman.com |

stevesanacore

« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2013, 09:02:41 am »

I'd love to see a comparison of this camera with the Canon G1X - they seem very close in specs and Canon's G series have always been popular with pros for a pocket camera. Then of course are the fabulous M4/3 cameras which are small and very high quality.

What a silly step backwards for Leica in the professionals eye. A real mini M would have been fantastic!
We don't know what we don't know.

BJL

« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2013, 10:45:02 am »

I'd love to see a comparison of this camera with the Canon G1X - they seem very close in specs and Canon's G series have always been popular with pros for a pocket camera.
Given how big and heavy the X Vario is as fixed lens cameras go, I would also suggest comparing it to the Sony NEX-6 with 18-55/3.5-5.6 lens attatched: this X Vario probably uses the same 16MP Sony sensor, has a slightly slower lens of more limited zoom range, weighs about 130g more, is slightly wider and higher, lacks a built-in EVF ... and ironically, it is the NEX-6 that could be used with Leica M lenses. The Fujifilm X-E1 with its 18-55/2.8-4 is also of similar weight, size and sensor specs.

That Leica lens better be stunningly good, because it effectively adds about US$2000 to the price when you compare the rest of the body to comparable CSC bodies like the NEX-6 or Fujifilm X-E1.

At least you can get the add-on EVF for $200 instead of the list price of $500 -- by using instead the Olympus VF-2.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 10:54:22 am by BJL »

TMARK

« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2013, 11:59:24 am »

Regarding the Western market for the "Mini M", I had dinner with the head of marketing for a large Fortune 500 company.  She is mid to late 50s, makes $3M a year before stock options (according to SEC filings), has very good taste.  We were talking cameras, and she said she intended to get this Mini M to replace her M8.2.  Why?  The M8.2 doesn't have a zoom, is not AF, and can't shoot from the screen, and is complicated to use when she wants to simply take a snap shot.

Note price never entered the conversation.  The message I received is that she wants RX100 auto flexibility in an M-Like metal box, with a Red Dot.  

« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 12:38:03 pm by TMARK »

Petrus

« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2013, 12:29:43 pm »

For 3 grand they sell the heck out of these (at least in Leica terms) and how many people shoot any leica wide open?

IMO

BC

Now everybody has to...
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up