Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Will Camera Raw get the new Lightroom 5 features?  (Read 30256 times)

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: Will Camera Raw get the new Lightroom 5 features?
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2013, 01:22:38 am »

And I have "prolly" spent my last $$ on the "Doode" dude's various Adobe publications & videos.

Ok, bye now...

Bob Smith

• http://www.accurateimage.org
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2013, 11:25:29 am »

I believe you can do a trial subscription of CC at Adobe.  I'd urge you to try it before you completely blast the idea.  I wasn't keen on the whole subscription model either... but there is loads of potentially very useful resources available with a CC subscription that go well beyond even the boxed Master set of Creative Suite.  I've signed up.

If you're a user that uses only one app (Photoshop) and who doesn't upgrade regularly, then the subscription is not a good deal.  For most other users its at least marginally attractive and potentially very attractive. 

I've heard from persons I trust that pricing of single apps may well fall in the future.  $20/month for Photoshop only is a tad steep considering what you get with the full CC. A little lowering of that price... or a package designed more specifically for photographers... say Lightroom, Photoshop, Acrobat and some of the online services... at a lower price point than the full suite would make this much more palatable to more users.

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2013, 12:52:31 pm »

...but there is loads of potentially very useful resources available with a CC subscription that go well beyond even the boxed Master set of Creative Suite.

Will someone on the internet post specifics on what can be done with these potentially very useful resources and stop talking in vague sounding riddles?

I spent hours trying to figure the "potential" behind a Cloud subscription and how it offers "DEEP" integration within workflow scenarios, but never any specifics of boots on the ground application. Can anyone outline an example workflow scenario that's actually being implemented using these potentially useful resources?

Is it just about internet eCommerce, social network photo sharing, syncing everyone's computer with shared content for some mysterious intercommunication business operations?

No one talks in specifics and so I don't think anyone here knows what the hell this is. It SOUNDS smart but trying to SEE how smart is impossible for me to find any specifics on.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 12:54:45 pm by tlooknbill »

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2013, 02:56:19 pm »

I’m sure Adobe realizes that when computers and operating systems change to a point where today’s Adobe software no longer functions, many Adobe files dating all the way back to the first pre-CS versions will become useless unless one pays the ransom, AKA “subscription”. Then, the files will be useable only as long as one pays continuously. It could take a long time for this to come about, or not. The only sure thing is that it will happen.

I can afford $20/month, especially if it means maintaining access to all of the files I’ve created since 1996, but the principal of this bothers me. There are lots of people out there who have lots of existing Adobe files, new and old. Not everyone can afford to continuously pay just to maintain access to their old files, nor should they have to. The point here is that people who didn’t buy into a subscription scheme when they made the files will eventually be forced to buy into one in order to use or access those files. I don’t care if any new or old product demands a subscription in order to use files that were created with the subscription in effect, or to use features that were implemented after the subscription model was implemented. In those cases users know the rules and can choose accordingly with no impact on their previous work.
- Dean

Bob Smith

« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2013, 10:53:53 am »

Will someone on the internet post specifics on what can be done with these potentially very useful resources and stop talking in vague sounding riddles?

My post and others are short on specifics because there are many services that would take a very lengthy write-up to begin to explain.  And what seems useful to me may be meaningless to you and vice versa.

Yes... much of these add ons are about sharing, social networks and your marketing in general.  Some of the things I find useful:

I pay $100/year for Dropbox space.  I get 30GB of Adobe CC space that works pretty much exactly the same way (with a cleaner interface) included in the subscription.

I believe that the ability to easily create mobile apps through InDesign is a great portfolio distribution tool.  I know a small handful of artists already successfully using it.  With CC membership you get unlimited free submissions to the Apple App store (if you choose to use that route).  Those are normally close to $400 each.

I'm intrigued by portfolio marketing through Behance.  That has been about $100/year I think.  Now included at no charge with CC membership

You get web hosting on Adobe's rather substantial server network for up to four sites included with the CC membership.

There's a wealth of mobile content creation tools that I currently don't begin to understand.  I'm guessing that those that can figure them out and start using them before the rest of the heard will achieve greater marketing impact when trying to promote their work.

Does that help a bit?  You really just need to dive in and start poking around.  There's a substantial amount of decent free video demos available

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2013, 01:54:09 pm »

There's a wealth of mobile content creation tools that I currently don't begin to understand.  I'm guessing that those that can figure them out and start using them before the rest of the heard will achieve greater marketing impact when trying to promote their work.

Does that help a bit?  You really just need to dive in and start poking around.  There's a substantial amount of decent free video demos available

Yes, it helped confirm after already doing as you suggested by poking around in an online search. Here's a copy of what I found and posted in the big Lula CC discussion on this subject...

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=78085.540

The more information I found on this topic online the more I realize I've been living in a cave despite the fact I've been connected to the internet and contributing to digital imaging (photo editing/reproduction) discussions for over 10 years.

After reading what Jeff Schewe finally put into words that made sense over all the interference on this thread...

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=78151.0

...concerning CC's target market toward professionals, I'm curious if this is going to reduce the amount of online Adobe app troubleshooting posts and general digital imaging discussions since CC integrates bug fixes and feature additions through the Cloud that seems to require a call to Adobe customer service for any trouble encountered. Is this what the Cloud is designed for with regard to professionals?

This looks like a way to reduce the chatter and clutter of issues posted online by folks having trouble with their Adobe apps who don't make a living using these apps so Adobe can focus their customers service resources and energies toward those whose survival of their business requires priority attention by Adobe. Wonder if Adobe will be needing to hire more customer service personnel.

To see how big this is I did a search to see if Getty Images is onboard with CC and they already have CC integration and option selections on their website, but I also found some other very interesting "Mashable.com" articles on CC from an interview with Adobe CEO and other articles explaining Adobe's other plans to expand like bringing prime time TV to the internet.

http://mashable.com/2012/11/15/adobe-project-primetime/

And Adobe's acquiring Behance, appears to function similarly to what "Communication Arts" used to do for professional creative's that wanted to publish their portfolio to be targeted and seen by other professionals and media buyers exclusively except I'm assuming without "Communication Arts" hefty entry fees. The CC subscription price probably covers it at a much reduced cost.

So with CC, if you want to play with the pros and/or come across or be perceived as a pro (with pro problems for Adobe to deal with), then pay the price with a subscription. As a former professional creative it makes perfect sense.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 01:59:12 pm by tlooknbill »

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2013, 02:19:08 pm »

...will achieve greater marketing impact when trying to promote their work.

So CC is acting as an internet within the internet where if a pro's work wants to be seen (by the right people=content buyers?), the CC is the place to be seen without being buried among the oblivion of billions of other photos available by both amateurs and pro's on sites like Flickr and other regular image gallery hosting sites, right?

How are eyeballs grabbed in the Cloud in this regard? Does it function like a social "rubbing of elbows" after a hard days work at the Cloud office using Adobe apps where one professional creative bumps into another on an unrelated project and tells the other they like their work and suggest they show it to XXX company who's also in the Cloud?

I'm just trying to distinguish how a pro promotes their work on the internet that's different from how it's done in the Cloud.

Bob Smith

« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2013, 02:52:44 pm »

I'm just trying to distinguish how a pro promotes their work on the internet that's different from how it's done in the Cloud.

I don't think it is different.  Creative Cloud just packages a lot of related tools and services into one box at an arguably attractive price.  Presumably that makes buying and using those things more efficient... and if it does, hopefully that makes your marketing more efficient.

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2013, 08:48:05 pm »

I don't think it is different.  Creative Cloud just packages a lot of related tools and services into one box at an arguably attractive price.  Presumably that makes buying and using those things more efficient... and if it does, hopefully that makes your marketing more efficient.

Then if there's no difference between doing that on the internet over the Cloud how does one's work get found in the Cloud. Can content uploaded to the Cloud get indexed by Google and show up in a Google search, not that that's going to help a photographer's work get spotted, but just asking for clarity sake.

There appears to be benefits of working in the Cloud in promoting one's work as suggested in the terms used to describe its advantages such as "collaboration" and "sharing" among fellow creatives, users and professionals. I'm trying to see the logistics on how that's going to happen as opposed to doing it on the internet.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 08:51:23 pm by tlooknbill »

Bob Smith

« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2013, 10:01:51 pm »

I'm trying to see the logistics on how that's going to happen as opposed to doing it on the internet.

But you ARE doing it on the internet.  Creative Cloud is nothing more than a collection of tools distributed via the internet that hopefully (among others things) make it more efficient for you to work on the internet.  Host a web site on Adobe's servers and its searched/indexed just like any site anywhere else.  Create a portfolio using Behance and its available as a portfolio web site using your own domain... just like any other regular web site... and/or it can exist on behance.net... a site specifically for presenting a variety of artists portfolios in a searchable fashion.  Put your files in the Creative Cloud and you can share them with whomever you choose... just like using Dropbox or any of numerous other filesharing sites.  Adobe has just packaged all of these things together in a way to get a lot of integrated services for one single fee from a single provider.  Some will like that sort of simplicity.  Some won't.

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2013, 02:32:47 am »

But you ARE doing it on the internet.  Creative Cloud is nothing more than a collection of tools distributed via the internet that hopefully (among others things) make it more efficient for you to work on the internet.  Host a web site on Adobe's servers and its searched/indexed just like any site anywhere else.  Create a portfolio using Behance and its available as a portfolio web site using your own domain... just like any other regular web site... and/or it can exist on behance.net... a site specifically for presenting a variety of artists portfolios in a searchable fashion.  Put your files in the Creative Cloud and you can share them with whomever you choose... just like using Dropbox or any of numerous other filesharing sites.  Adobe has just packaged all of these things together in a way to get a lot of integrated services for one single fee from a single provider.  Some will like that sort of simplicity.  Some won't.

OK, Bob, that's more specific. Thanks for the feedback and patience.

I understand the tools and Behance. I just got the impression working in the Creative Cloud was sort of securitized and cordoned off from regular internet general public's prying eyes in order to prevent the pro's work from getting lifted and posted to something like Pinterest, kind of like an internet gated community for professionals who could do searches targeted only at Cloud member's work.

I take it that's not how CC functions.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 02:35:15 am by tlooknbill »
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up